Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Teccie' question - digital camera

Wikiposts

'Teccie' question - digital camera

Old May 12th 2005, 8:29 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: 'Teccie' question - digital camera

Originally Posted by Carruss
The canon uses a Compact Flash card and I have found a 2GB High Speed one for £96.

I need to get the camera first though!

R.
www.7dayshop.com for all camera supplies, inc some cheap 2gb compact flash cards.

We have the Canon EOS 350D and it`s brilliant Bought it from Jessops at staff discount (and will be getting the VAT back on it as well as we filled out the form when we bought it).
Old May 12th 2005, 8:42 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: 'Teccie' question - digital camera

Originally Posted by Stormz
www.7dayshop.com for all camera supplies, inc some cheap 2gb compact flash cards.

We have the Canon EOS 350D and it`s brilliant Bought it from Jessops at staff discount (and will be getting the VAT back on it as well as we filled out the form when we bought it).
I looked in Jessops and thats all I ever do is there. They are so overpriced its unbelievable but I did get them to price match an internet price once for a piece of Video Editing software which came as a shock!

They want £817.00 for it in out local Jessops and thats without any special extras, just some free prints and I think a 256MB card..........WOW eh!

I still may go with Pixmania and as I am now in the middle of forming a company so will put this down to a business requirement!

I have only ever seen two negative comments about the camera and one that it was much smaller than other Canons (but this was from a pro who liked holding a large object in his hands ! ! !) and someone said that the lense feels a bit loose! Not sure about them though and its glad to see you like it. I just cant wait to get one but need to get all these forms filled in first.

R.
Old May 12th 2005, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just post this link I found on the subject of Moire Patterning (the problem of scanning images from magazines, postcards, newspapers etc):

http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

I'm going to experiment with Descreen control to see if I can get over the problem - higher resolution by itself won't solve it apparently.

OzTennis
Old May 13th 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.camerafarm.com.au/camera/...me.php?cat=345
Old May 13th 2005, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.staticice.com.au/

http://www.ausprices.com/
Old May 13th 2005, 2:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz

Some of the Canons they sell are grey imports, the 350D is called a Rebel XT (US model). Don't know how this affects the warranty.
Old May 13th 2005, 2:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you can get some great deals on the 300D at the moment, Jessops have it for £499 including lense. It's still a great camera.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 13th 2005 at 2:27 am. Reason: Need to go back to school
Old May 13th 2005, 2:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Also, you can get some great deals on the 300D at the moment, Jessops have it for £499 including lense. It's still a great camera.
All my SLR lenses and equipment are Pentax fitting. Some of my lenses are Pentax, others are mainly Sigma.

I was going to buy a Pentax digital SLR but the only one available was very expensive.Also I have read of some compatibility problems with non Pentax lenses.

I bought a Canon G6 from Jessops and am very pleased with it.

They also gave me a big discount as I told them I had seen it cheaper elsewhere.

G
Old May 13th 2005, 3:31 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: 'Teccie' question - digital camera

Originally Posted by Grayling
All my SLR lenses and equipment are Pentax fitting. Some of my lenses are Pentax, others are mainly Sigma.

I was going to buy a Pentax digital SLR but the only one available was very expensive.Also I have read of some compatibility problems with non Pentax lenses.

They also gave me a big discount as I told them I had seen it cheaper elsewhere.

G
I looked at the G6 aswell. in fact I narrowed my search down to the Canon 350D (Pixmania.co.uk £620.00), the Canon G6 (Dabs.com £368.950) and a Nikon Coolpix 8800 (Pixmania.co.uk £523.70).

In the end I have settled on the 350D and yes the USA version is known as the Rebel!

Some companies do package deals with the Canon and sell it with two lenses, one being the original and the other usually a Sigma.

R.
Old May 13th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'll just post this link I found on the subject of Moire Patterning (the problem of scanning images from magazines, postcards, newspapers etc):

http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

I'm going to experiment with Descreen control to see if I can get over the problem - higher resolution by itself won't solve it apparently.

OzTennis
Interesting link, thanks for that. I read it as saying that higher frequency sampling will solve the problem. sampling a 2 x's is not high enough though, the theory is 2.2 x 's is the minimum to avoid aliasing effects.
As the article says, you can then subsequently resize the image back down to a manageable level
A problem we all have is there is so much myth out there, and what do we believe. This is particularly true of the internet. I can guarantee that the effect you see on the weathermans jacket (mentioned in your link) is nothing to do with aliasing. It is luminance information being demodulated as colour and is a foible of the PAL TV system. To get even more scientific, the visual effect is to do with surface accoustic waves, or is that me just perpetuating more myths!

Out of interest, digital cameras have a special optical filter which reduces the frequency of optical patterns down to below the level that will cause aliasing. (in other words, the filter is deliberately reducing resolution so you never get moire patterning, before the light even reaches the camera sensor). You really need to stop the aliasing at the start before it becomes a digital picture, otherwise you can only mask it at best. Filtering at the time of sampling in a scanner may be doing the same job. Sorry, don't know too much about scanning or what the software actully does. Good luck with the descreen thingy.
Old May 17th 2005, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
I looked at the G6 aswell. in fact I narrowed my search down to the Canon 350D (Pixmania.co.uk £620.00), the Canon G6 (Dabs.com £368.950) and a Nikon Coolpix 8800 (Pixmania.co.uk £523.70).

In the end I have settled on the 350D and yes the USA version is known as the Rebel!

Some companies do package deals with the Canon and sell it with two lenses, one being the original and the other usually a Sigma.

R.
Latest edition of Digital Photo mag - a detailed test of the Canon EOS 350D vs the Nikon D70. "And the winner is the Canon EOS 350D. The 350D truly deserves the praise... the quality and performance from this camera goes beyond that of any entry level model, and it's only in the handling you are reminded that is is not designed for high end use. The issue of size can be easily overcome by using the battery grip (around £130 on top). This fits on the bottom of the camera, not only extending the grip but also holding two Li-ion batteries for twice the shooting time. As for the screen, it's not bhe best but can be lived with. In all, a truly impressive performance all-round from the 350D but a very, very close second for the D70".

They also have a bit on the 350D vs the 300D vs upgrading from 300 to 350 (£500! almost as well to throw the old away and buy the new than upgrade).

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
I have a Pentax *ist DS and a couple of Sigma lenses. It's excellent, and I speak as a Nikon and Olympus 35mm user.

Ted's isn't the cheapest. Try these

www.centre.net.au
www.camerastore.com.au
www.digitalcams.com.au
www.ccccamerahouse.com.au
www.digitalcity.com.au

Lesley