Reload this Page >

Tearful goodbyes!! NZ

Tearful goodbyes!! NZ

Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

marlyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tearful goodbyes!! NZ

Hi everyone
I have just spent the last 5 days with all my family saying goodbye and boy was it traumatic. I had a really good time going out having a few drinks and lots of laughs. I had asked mum not to come to the train station with me but she insisted. Before I left the whole family were in tears exept perhaps for my sister who thinks that I will be home in 3 months!!
Mum and I were very brave on the way, chatting about nothing as you do. Then when we got to the train station we both broke down. I then spent the rest of yesterday crying at the drop of a hat. My poor husband was left bewildered...... not really knowing what to say.
The strange thing is I dont live around the corner from her and only get to see her once in a blue moon anyway. So why do I feel so rubbish.....so childish.....christ I am 30 years old.
I keep saying to myself that this is only natural and once I get to NZ I will feel much better. I really hope so. You wouldnt believe how many second thoughts are going through my mind right now.

Well, I leave my house on Thursday and head off to say our goodbyes to husbands side of the family. What joy another round of tears to come then!!!

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has given me loads of support on this site. Saved me a packet on calls to NZIS.

Take care everyone and will speak again soon from NZ.

Bye bye
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:15 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tearful goodbyes!! NZ

Originally posted by marlyn
Hi everyone
I have just spent the last 5 days with all my family saying goodbye and boy was it traumatic. I had a really good time going out having a few drinks and lots of laughs. I had asked mum not to come to the train station with me but she insisted. Before I left the whole family were in tears exept perhaps for my sister who thinks that I will be home in 3 months!!
Mum and I were very brave on the way, chatting about nothing as you do. Then when we got to the train station we both broke down. I then spent the rest of yesterday crying at the drop of a hat. My poor husband was left bewildered...... not really knowing what to say.
The strange thing is I dont live around the corner from her and only get to see her once in a blue moon anyway. So why do I feel so rubbish.....so childish.....christ I am 30 years old.
I keep saying to myself that this is only natural and once I get to NZ I will feel much better. I really hope so. You wouldnt believe how many second thoughts are going through my mind right now.

Well, I leave my house on Thursday and head off to say our goodbyes to husbands side of the family. What joy another round of tears to come then!!!

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has given me loads of support on this site. Saved me a packet on calls to NZIS.

Bye bye
Don't worry, it is natural and I think most people probably do it when they leave what has been "home" for a great deal of time.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Marlyn,

being one of life's professional weepers I can sympathise totally with what you went through last week! Sometimes I cry already at the thoughts of all the goodbyes (and we're nowhere near selling the house yet) so I dread to think what I will be like when the reality comes!!

I think/hope though that it is just part of the process that must be gone through on the road to greater things. The parting is always going to be the worst bit but I suppose it might help to try to keep in mind all the positive things you are going for!! Even write them in some kind of list and read it when you feel bad!

I have heard a few say it is a big help if some family can book a holiday to see you fairly quickly after you arrive! Are any of your folks planning to get over quickly or are they likely to travel that much? That is my big fear that they won't really get organised to make it over or due to health problems etc won't be able too and also I wonder how often we would be able to all afford to fly home!!

Anyway, I really hope that these feelings pass quickly for you. I imagine there is no point trying to stop the tears (virtually impossible for me anyway!!) as it is probably a healthy part of the process but i just hope and pray that the feelings don't last too long for you and you are back in positive mode very quickly!!

Wishing you all the very best in your new life!!!
Old Jul 15th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Bye bye
Only natural, your leaving alot behind but a new life awaits....

Ask yourself "Would the reasons that I want to emigrate go away if I stayed?"

A new wonderful future is yours to grasp, not many ever get the chance in life to do it

Have a safe journey and please keep in touch with us other NZ bound brits.

Old Jul 15th 2003, 12:45 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone

Bye bye

Dont worry, the feelings will pass once you have landed in NZ. I have family strewn around the globe, and I suggest you sort out a phone and ISP immediately in NZ - talking and sending/receiving pictures really makes them feel closer......

Good luck in NZ - I'm really jealous - wish it was us.......all the best though.

Old Jul 15th 2003, 1:42 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Marlyn
I can really sympathise, it must be very difficult for you. I don't see my Mum often either, visited at the weekend and we were both already getting upset about the move and we're not going for another 6 months yet.

Just remember that your Mum will only want the best for you, and for you to be happy. You're doing something only a few people get the chance and/or balls to do, so just keep focussed on what's to come and do your Mum proud when you get there.

We're installing webcams with our family before we leave so that at least we can see each other from time to time. Not the same, I know, but it will help.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Bye bye

Hi Marilyn

Hope you arent feeling so bad just now.
I live about 4hrs from my folks and have done for about 8 years but know when it comes to us leaving it will be hellish.

We went away to Oz and NZ a couple of years ago for a year and it was bad saying cheerio then but beleive me once you are there you will be fine. There will always be days of homesickness and peoplesickness but agree with the earlier post about writing a list of reasons you are heading away and look at it when you need a boost. I am definately going to do it!

And your folks will only want you to be happy and do what you really want.

All said and done, the tears are inevitable.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your new exciting life!
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

very difficult marlyn I smypathise but try and keep things in perpsective.

In my view the longer term positives far outwiegh the shorter term negatives, and technology and cheaper travel (if you can persaud poeple to travel) are bringing the boundaries down.

All the very best and I am sure you have a fantastic and exciting life ahead in NZ.

JAmes
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:54 am
Just Joined

steve williams is an unknown quantity at this point

We Left North Wales 25th June, I never realised it would be so hard to leave. It can only be described as going to your own funeral. But we're all over it now. We keep in touch with texts on the mobile.