Teaching in WA

Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:56 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching in WA

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting this question on this forum but more people seem to visit this one so I thought I would have more chance of getting a reply.

I wondered if anyone could give me some info.

I am a mature student (39) and I will be graduating in a couple of months with a BSc hons in Computing. I will be starting my SCITT PGCE in September, the block teaching practice weeks total 18 plus 3 days a week spent in a school with the remaining two days spent at uni. The qualification awarded at the end of the year is PGCE with NQT status.

My question is will my time spent in the classroom be sufficient for me to apply for PR directly after graduating or will it be necessary for me to wait until after my induction year.

Many Thanks
ACE
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

As its a 60 point jobby, I think you will need to do your NQT year to gain that important 12 months teaching experience. I'd also recommend doing it here since I doubt you will get the tailored support and mentoring in Aus; they'll expect you to be fully competent and the PGCE doesn't usually give you this, in my experience.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:45 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
As its a 60 point jobby, I think you will need to do your NQT year to gain that important 12 months teaching experience. I'd also recommend doing it here since I doubt you will get the tailored support and mentoring in Aus; they'll expect you to be fully competent and the PGCE doesn't usually give you this, in my experience.
Thanks for your reply Larissa. We will probably be going on the skilled designated area visa so I would only need to do six months.

Although the course I will be doing is school centred with 18 weeks teaching practice plus 3 days a week, I think you are right and it might be a good idea to do my induction year here.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:57 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi ACE,

Definitely do your induction year here first. If you don't do it, I believe that your NQT status is not recognised. We had a newly qualifed teacher doing supply at our school, who (we are in Wales, it took me 4 years to get off supply) didn't manage to get enough supply in her first year, had no mentor etc, was told that she needed to get an induction year done within 2 years, I think it was or else she would lose her NQT status. How true this is I'm not sure, she may have been angling for more supply. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sarah
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:26 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by teach
Hi ACE,

Definitely do your induction year here first. If you don't do it, I believe that your NQT status is not recognised. We had a newly qualifed teacher doing supply at our school, who (we are in Wales, it took me 4 years to get off supply) didn't manage to get enough supply in her first year, had no mentor etc, was told that she needed to get an induction year done within 2 years, I think it was or else she would lose her NQT status. How true this is I'm not sure, she may have been angling for more supply. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the advice, as much as I am itching to get to OZ I will definately do my induction year here. As Larissa Said it would be better to have more rather than less experience when we move over there.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the money's good too; I missed out by a year
I wouldn't go banding about to prospective employers that you're going to Aus, since they'll probably want you for longer. Good luck!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:46 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Larissa
I hear the money's good too; I missed out by a year
I wouldn't go banding about to prospective employers that you're going to Aus, since they'll probably want you for longer. Good luck!
No, I definately won't be advertising that information.

ACE