Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in South Austarlia

Teaching in South Austarlia

Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Lesley Elsdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Teaching in South Australia

Does anyone have any experience of applying for teaching jobs in Australia? Is it really as complicated as it seems?

Last edited by Lesley Elsdon; Mar 1st 2005 at 7:00 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:07 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in South Australia

Originally Posted by Lesley Elsdon
Does anyone have any experience of applying for teaching jobs in Australia? Is it really as complicated as it seems?
Going though it now!

It seems so.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Lesley Elsdon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK
Going though it now!

It seems so.
What stage are you at? When are you hoping to emigrate and where to?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:21 pm
Emz
Just Joined

Emz is on a distinguished road

Going though it now!

It seems so.

I'm a secondary teacher, haven't even started looking into it yet..... why is it so complicated? (Pardon my ignorance).......
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Emz
I'm a secondary teacher, haven't even started looking into it yet..... why is it so complicated? (Pardon my ignorance).......
Basically because there exists a duplication of skills recognition.
Even though the federal authorities (through NOOSR) will not allow you into the country without thoroughly checking your credentials (degree, post grad, experience etc), the states (certainly WA and I suspect others) require further checks and form filling. To be fair they do accept NOOSR certificates but there are other hoops to be jumped through in addition. Moreover, individual state recognition is not transferable - i.e if you pay the NSW state govt $150 to recognise your skills, you have to to do the same with WA., Vic, NT, Tas, Qsl and WA. - a hefty expenditure and a million forms - just to maximise your employment chances!

It seems logical (and would be more efficient (and therefore reduce that tax bill a little!)), that if the federal govt recognises your skills, then this should be transferable to any of the individual states. By definition, a skilled independent visa is only granted if Australia recognises your teaching quals. and exp. as bona fide. If the country recognises this, why should the states not? (the equivalent would be that the UK govt accepts your teaching credentials but the UK counties do not, and insist on doing their own checks)

My own view is that it is a political issue - whereby the states retain a nominal authority over skills recogntion and see it as 'one in the eye' for the federal govt. But the whole thing seems like labour regulation and jobsworth gone mad - a la the UK in the 1970s. But comparisons get you nowhere - you just have to bite the bullet if you want to go.

OK - I'm off the soapbox, it's boring teacher talk - I'm happy to share my experience thus far but you may like to PM me - to save boring others.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:45 pm
Emz
Just Joined

Emz is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=NKSK]Basically because there exists a duplication of skills recognition.

Ahh, I see. That looks like a real pain, it was bad enough getting all my transcripts together for the 1st skills assessment!

I now have my PR visa and am heading initially to Adelaide. I hadn't looked into this yet as I was planning on taking some time off (year or so) before I start work. Are the skills assessment a state requirement that would also apply to teachers in private schools?

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:08 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll get more SA-specific info on here

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm

[QUOTE=Emz]
Basically because there exists a duplication of skills recognition.

Ahh, I see. That looks like a real pain, it was bad enough getting all my transcripts together for the 1st skills assessment!

I now have my PR visa and am heading initially to Adelaide. I hadn't looked into this yet as I was planning on taking some time off (year or so) before I start work. Are the skills assessment a state requirement that would also apply to teachers in private schools?

Thanks for your help
Interesting point.

This will probably depend on the state. In the case of WA I don't think so - but by their nature private schools are independent and so some may choose to fall into line, some may opt out.

Two issues for consideration:
1. You may want to do supply (relief) to start off. As such you will need 'state recognition'.
2. You will need police clearance from the UK. Get it done whilst you are still here but bear in mind that it has a shelf life. After a year they may not except it as valid. Therefore you may be better off getting 'recognised' before you take your year out.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lesley Elsdon
Yes. I registered in Queensland before I came out, a complete breeze compared to South Australia. It took me 5 months to be fully recognised to teach there, by which time I had left the state.

All you NOOSR stuff is required by whichever state you apply to teach in. Once you get your teacher's recognition you have to apply to teach in the Government/state schools, approach Independent schools directly and register to teach in Catholic schools. Each will require a police check - not your UK one which would make complete sense but one for South Australia when you get here!

The government/state schools also require you to complete a first aid certificate and mandatory notification (recognising child abuse and how to contact external agencies). Both are one day courses, but you can wait weeks to get onto them.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7&page=1&pp=15

Has posted a similar question.

Enjoy your travels. We've just ran out of dosh after a 9 month tour of Oz....now to teach some "bludgers".

Linda