Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching salary in Oz

Teaching salary in Oz

Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Teaching salary in Oz

Hi there,

It has been a while but I have secured a job teaching at a private school in Sydney. There are two things that I would like to enquire about. Firstly, on a salary of approx A$55,000, what can I expect to take home after tax, medicare, super and anything else that I may have forgotten?

Secondly, the school is near Darlinghurst and I will need to catch a train initially to and from work. Can anyone advise on any decent and not too expensive areas to live? I need a minimum of two bedrooms and don't really want to spend more than an hour travelling each way door to door. Any areas to definitely avoid. It is difficult to know which areas are dodgy so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:06 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Teaching salary in Oz

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi there,

It has been a while but I have secured a job teaching at a private school in Sydney. There are two things that I would like to enquire about. Firstly, on a salary of approx A$55,000, what can I expect to take home after tax, medicare, super and anything else that I may have forgotten?

Secondly, the school is near Darlinghurst and I will need to catch a train initially to and from work. Can anyone advise on any decent and not too expensive areas to live? I need a minimum of two bedrooms and don't really want to spend more than an hour travelling each way door to door. Any areas to definitely avoid. It is difficult to know which areas are dodgy so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
You should take home about $41,000 after tax and Medicare, but before super deductions. I'm not sure about the super part.

Tax rates are:
Taxable income . . . . Tax on this income
$0 – $6,000 . . . . . . . Nil
$6,001 – $21,600 . . 17c for each $1 over $6,000
$21,601 - $52,000 .. $2,652 plus 30c for each $1 over $21,600
$52,001 – $62,500 . $11,772 plus 42c for each $1 over $52,000
Over $62,500 . . . . . $16,182 plus 47c for each $1 over $62,500

and Medicare Levy of:
Taxable income . . . . Rate of Medicare levy
$1 - $20000. . . . . . . 0%
$20001 to $21621. . 20% of the difference between your taxable income and $20_000
$21622 and over . . . 1.5% of your taxable income

Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching salary in Oz

Hi there,

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
Dear Mrs Morgan

Joanne's a primary teacher and I am gathering as much information as possible for her. We arrive in Australia on the 3rd April. She is looking at doing supply to gain experience. Also, while applying for jobs.

What is the first thing she should do after arriving?

Do you know any agencies?

Does she need to register with an teaching organisation?

Any information would be much appreicated.

Kind regards

Lee

PS. We are going to Cairns!!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Hi there,

She will have to register with the relevent board in Queensland if she wants to do supply in state schools. They will send you the forms to the UK so that you can register before you leave. I think that she will not need to be registered for private schools. I don't think that there is much in the way of agencies out there. She may find these websites helpful.

I got my job by applying directly to private schools that I saw on www.teachers.on.net I already had a permanent residency visa.

Also
www.btr.qld.edu.au this is the teaching registration website

www.education.qld.gov.au this is the teachin in QLD website

I hope that you find this helpful
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

One other thing Lee.

It might be worth her doing a posting on:

www.tes.co.uk/staffroom in the overseas section as a lot of Australians read that plus are lots of similar questions in various threads.

Hope this helps

Let me know how she gets on and do you have visas already as residency visas make it a lot easier.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

One other thing Lee.

It might be worth her doing a posting on:

www.tes.co.uk/staffroom in the overseas section as a lot of Australians read that plus are lots of similar questions in various threads.

Hope this helps

Let me know how she gets on and do you have visas already as residency visas make it a lot easier.
Yes!! We got our PR visa in passport back in October.

Thanks for all the useful information. I'll show Joanne tonight this should help get here started.

Cheers

Lee

Last edited by leejo; Jan 9th 2004 at 8:34 am.