Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Perth

Teaching in Perth

Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

brigsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Perth

Hello, I'm Secondary School Teacher who would like to move to Perth. I am a little confused as to what visa to apply for, how to get a job, how to register as a teacher etc. and in what order you're suppose to do these! Can anyone help me or advice me please?! Many thanks : )
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Perth

Originally Posted by brigsy
Hello, I'm Secondary School Teacher who would like to move to Perth. I am a little confused as to what visa to apply for, how to get a job, how to register as a teacher etc. and in what order you're suppose to do these! Can anyone help me or advice me please?! Many thanks : )
There are two ways of doing this as far as I can gather.

1. The WA govt are crying out for teachers but these are for remote locations. Good if you are single bad if you have a family (probably). I have heard of dire conditions with regard to housing also. I suspect that the WA govt sponsor on 457 visas for this. Contact the WA Dept for Education and express your interest - note that demand for teachers is in WA country locations NOT Perth.

2. If you want to teach in Perth (and/or do it all independent of the govt) then you need to apply in the usual way for an independent skilled migration visa - 136(?). Once you have the visa, you need to register with the WA College of Teaching and then you can start applying for jobs. Independent schools are the way to go -doing anything through the state government education department is like pulling out your own teeth with a rusty spoon. Painful and slow.

Good luck

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Oct 22nd 2007 at 1:05 am. Reason: typos
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, wa do a 457 visa for rural jobs. We are on this, we are ok and have nice housing. (I cant comment on others but for us its fine)
Its temp visa and they do Permanent visa after you have worked 2 years at allocated school.

Or as above mentioned apply for your own Permanent visa and get a job when you arrive.

If you are open to different schools other than state,
you can also work in private schools, usually Catholic. They have website and often have jobs advertised.

http://web1.ceo.wa.edu.au/index.asp

Good Luck
GEMS
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

brigsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
Yes, wa do a 457 visa for rural jobs. We are on this, we are ok and have nice housing. (I cant comment on others but for us its fine)
Its temp visa and they do Permanent visa after you have worked 2 years at allocated school.

Or as above mentioned apply for your own Permanent visa and get a job when you arrive.

If you are open to different schools other than state,
you can also work in private schools, usually Catholic. They have website and often have jobs advertised.

http://web1.ceo.wa.edu.au/index.asp

Good Luck
GEMS
Thank you for responding to my message. It's made things a little clearer. I'm single with no children which is why I'm thinking, if I'm going to make the move now is a good time! I did have the idea of working in Perth opposed to rural/ remote. Pulling my teeth out with a rusty spoon doesn't sound too great so I'm going to go down the second avenue! Thanks again : )