Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

teaching in Perth

teaching in Perth

Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice
Default teaching in Perth

I have been thinking about training to become a Primary School teacher in Perth. Can anyone advise what is required to teach. I don't have a degree and I assume I would need to do the equivalent once I get there.
Any advice would be great. Can't find what I'm looking for online.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching in Perth

Originally Posted by LisaT
I have been thinking about training to become a Primary School teacher in Perth. Can anyone advise what is required to teach. I don't have a degree and I assume I would need to do the equivalent once I get there.
Any advice would be great. Can't find what I'm looking for online.
Hi There,
Here's the link to the WA Training and Education website for general teaching info:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/

You should find the info you need here:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/t...s.html#primary

Basically you will have to contact the university where you want to study directly.

I came out here last September as a primary teacher with 1 year's work experience. My route into teaching was via a 3 year Bsc hons degree in Computing and a 1 year Post grad in Education with post grad qualifications in maths.

I took a year off to settle in and enjoy WA and a couple of months ago applied to 1 school. I got an interview and after weeks of waiting did not get the job. While waiting to hear from the first school I called my current school not expecting much. However, after an informal interview I started work the following week as a relief teacher in the senior department of a K-12 private school and will be starting a full time contract next week teaching IT and Maths to year's 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. I definitely think that secondary teachers have it much easier than primary teachers, the planning is much easier and you get more free periods during school hours for marking etc. I would not willingly go back to primary teaching, having said that I work in the most popular and well resourced private school in the area and the kids are just brilliant, articulate, polite, hardworking and fun to be around. This is the only school I have worked in so I can't comment on other schools.

Let me know if you have any other questions or queries

ACE
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

ronggly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi There,
Here's the link to the WA Training and Education website for general teaching info:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/

You should find the info you need here:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/t...s.html#primary

Basically you will have to contact the university where you want to study directly.

I came out here last September as a primary teacher with 1 year's work experience. My route into teaching was via a 3 year Bsc hons degree in Computing and a 1 year Post grad in Education with post grad qualifications in maths.

I took a year off to settle in and enjoy WA and a couple of months ago applied to 1 school. I got an interview and after weeks of waiting did not get the job. While waiting to hear from the first school I called my current school not expecting much. However, after an informal interview I started work the following week as a relief teacher in the senior department of a K-12 private school and will be starting a full time contract next week teaching IT and Maths to year's 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. I definitely think that secondary teachers have it much easier than primary teachers, the planning is much easier and you get more free periods during school hours for marking etc. I would not willingly go back to primary teaching, having said that I work in the most popular and well resourced private school in the area and the kids are just brilliant, articulate, polite, hardworking and fun to be around. This is the only school I have worked in so I can't comment on other schools.

Let me know if you have any other questions or queries

ACE
Hi,

Am in Exeter, Devon, with son just started year 10 and would do GCSE in
June 2008. If we move to Perth in January 2008, where would he start in WA system ? At the beginning of year 10 ?
Also what is the equivalent of GCSE and A-levels and when are they ?

Any comments greatly appreciated,

Ronngly
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:00 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronggly
Hi,

June 2008. If we move to Perth in January 2008, where would he start in WA system ? At the beginning of year 10 ?

Ronngly
Hi Lisa,
Most children begin their secondary education at the beginning of the year in which they turn 13. Secondary education is full time and comprises Years 8 to 12. Children must stay at school until the end of the year in which they turn age 15, unless they are exempt from attendance. Currently about 80 per cent of students in government schools remain beyond Year 10 to undertake courses in Years 11 and 12 in order to prepare for entry in the workforce, technical and further education, university education or other forms of education. It looks as though your son will turn 15 in 2008, if this is the case he will go into year 10 when you arrive.

The Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) is the credential given to students who have completed Year 11 and Year 12 of their secondary schooling in Western Australia. For students to achieve the WACE, at least 6 C Grades must be attained over Year 11 and Year 12. The state education department is currently reviewing the system which could mean that there will be some changes on the way.

You might find some interesting info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...e_of_Education

ACE
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:47 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ronggly
Hi,

Ronngly
Found an interesting link for you.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=2&gl=au

ACE