Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Perth

Teaching in Perth

Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:19 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Teaching in Perth

I have a specific question for anyone who knows about teaching as a newly qualified teacher in Perth:

My partner and I plan to re-train when we arrive in Perth by doing a Graduate Certificate in Education. She in Primary, me in Secondary.

I have heard/read that if we qualify over there, we need to work for two years in rural/remote schools before working in Perth. Is this correct? Is there any way round it?

Do people know if this is the case in other parts of Australia. Like Q'land (Brisbane) for example, or Victoria.

We don't want to move and settle there, only to have to go and spend two years in 'the back of bourke'.

Does anyone know whether we could do our PGCEs here and go straight to Perth working in urban/sub-urban schools, avoiding the 2 year rule?

The answer this this is going to have an impact on where we eventually choose to settle.

Hoping someone can shed light on this.
flying dutchman
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

The last family who stayed in our house are both teachers and fairly newly qualified. He is secondary maths and she is primary, they too had heard about rural and it is not true.
He has got a relief job in a private school and she has just got a part time job as a reception teacher. both went to the education departement and got a form to say they can do supply work and they just went along to the schools and said hello and gave a CV and had work within the week.
hope this helps.paula
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

sweet cheeks Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks paula,
do you know if they qualified in the uk or in australia?