Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Perth

Teaching in Perth

Old May 19th 2003, 3:56 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching in Perth

If the Primary schools are this good I would avoid the bigger boys and girls , must be the Poms off spring again?

WOULD like to congratulate you on your editorial (Teachers have right to safety, 15/5). I am a primary school teacher and my school usually accepts students who are expelled from a nearby primary school. Currently we have three students from this school, all of whom have serious behavioural problems. We receive no details about the students and no support when issues arise, whether they be from the student or from the parent.

I was verbally abused on two different occasions and physically abused by the same parent and the school tried to wash it under the carpet. When I tried to place a restraining order on the parent, I was advised against it. This child is a very vulnerable student and has displayed many violent and verbal outbursts.

The student's history revealed that both he and his brother have displayed suicidal tendencies and neither of them has received any support and the teachers have had to put up with the dangers of their behaviour and the threat of being hurt. When the students are sent to the office, sometimes they are disciplined and then sent back to the class. This in itself is an issue which teachers have had to put up with.

Teachers get no support from the Education Department or from the administration of their schools. A teacher I know has a very difficult Aboriginal boy who has displayed aggressive behaviour towards others, both teachers and students, and has destroyed property and stolen things. He again is not disciplined for his behaviour. He smashed a window in a teaching block and when administration was informed, the window was fixed and this boy was not even spoken to about the incident. This is an example of how teachers do not receive support from either the department or the administration.

If the department wants to keep teachers in the public system it is going to have to support teachers and protect them from children and irate parents.

NICOLE CLEMESHA, Maida Vale. Perth

Old May 19th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sounds like the last school that I worked in in Tooting !!

One incident that springs to mind is when a pupil, who was busy beating up another at the time, told me to f*** off about 15 times with his face inches from mine. It took me all the patience and tolerance that I have developed to stop myself from slapping him one.
He was sent home for the rest of the day, ahh poor little love. The child that was being beaten up however was just told not to worry about it!!

If parents of the well-behaved pupils knew what their kids had to put up with from other unruly class members, I am sure they would have a fit.

This article just goes to show you that the education system is the same around the world, I for one am not expecting it to be better than in the UK. Discipline is the major issue in most schools in developed nations, some things never change.
The children's Act has made sure that children now have more rights than the teachers and other adults in the school. I can't help feeling that something has gone wrong somewhere!!

:lecture: :lecture:
Old May 19th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sorry I meant to add, the only solution is to go private, the schools make their own rules and therefore are not bound by the council to keep these disruptive pupils on.

If a kid breaks the rules they will be out of there, the other parents who are paying for the education will make sure of that. Money talks as they say.

:lecture:
Old May 19th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

One incident that springs to mind is when a pupil, who was busy beating up another at the time, told me to f*** off about 15 times with his face inches from mine. It took me all the patience and tolerance that I have developed to stop myself from slapping him one.
You had more self control than I would have had. The lad would have been without his teeth by now. Good job I am not a teacher.
Old May 20th 2003, 1:09 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Sorry I meant to add, the only solution is to go private, the schools make their own rules and therefore are not bound by the council to keep these disruptive pupils on.

If a kid breaks the rules they will be out of there, the other parents who are paying for the education will make sure of that. Money talks as they say.

:lecture:

The only education in Australia that is anywere near the state system in the UK is private and even that is way below the private schools in the UK , so its up to you pay out or end up with a no hoper.

Old May 20th 2003, 1:26 am
Muad'Dib

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The only education in Australia that is anywere near the state system in the UK is private and even that is way below the private schools in the UK , so its up to you pay out or end up with a no hoper.

Proof? Schooling is compulsary, learning is not.