Teaching in Oz

Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

loradora is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Teaching in Oz

Hi Guys!! Well it is quite interesting to hear that I am not the only one struggling to get a permanent position as a teacher in Australia. I taught for three years in the UK as an Art Teacher and moved here in 2008 to find teaching work in Sydney. Since 2008 I have had a one week teaching block in a Secondary School...and the rest has been in a Primary School and Child Care Centre!!! Wow...little did I know that it is sooooooooooooo hard to get a teaching job here let alone in the arts field!!

It's definately not what you know but who you know and after 2 years of looking and applying for many positions, I will be ending my search in October if I do not prevail. I know my options will be a lot broader in the UK and I will look forward to getting a stable job once again with routine and consistency.

I guess if I really wanted to stay in Australia I would train to be a Primary or Early Learning Teacher which are areas in real demand here. But after 6 years of studying for my Degree in Art and training as a Secondary Teacher, well it seems a bit of a waste.

The only way I would ever come back to Australia to teach is if I have done a teacher exchange to secure a job. I would recommend this to others.

All the best,
LoraDora
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in Oz

Always good to hear that you are not the only one.

I too am in Sydney and finding work is a total nightmare!!!!!!

I teach Textiles and Food Tech which apparently is a shortage subject, so hoped something may come up, but four months later I still haven't worked yet.

Like you, I feel frustrated after doing so much training. I even did my Masters just before I came out as I thought it would give me an advantage!!

Originally Posted by loradora
Hi Guys!! Well it is quite interesting to hear that I am not the only one struggling to get a permanent position as a teacher in Australia. I taught for three years in the UK as an Art Teacher and moved here in 2008 to find teaching work in Sydney. Since 2008 I have had a one week teaching block in a Secondary School...and the rest has been in a Primary School and Child Care Centre!!! Wow...little did I know that it is sooooooooooooo hard to get a teaching job here let alone in the arts field!!

It's definately not what you know but who you know and after 2 years of looking and applying for many positions, I will be ending my search in October if I do not prevail. I know my options will be a lot broader in the UK and I will look forward to getting a stable job once again with routine and consistency.

I guess if I really wanted to stay in Australia I would train to be a Primary or Early Learning Teacher which are areas in real demand here. But after 6 years of studying for my Degree in Art and training as a Secondary Teacher, well it seems a bit of a waste.

The only way I would ever come back to Australia to teach is if I have done a teacher exchange to secure a job. I would recommend this to others.

All the best,
LoraDora
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:22 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There are other teaching options, though. Private tuition centres are booming, such as Kumon, Kip McGrath and others. Loads of parents worried about their kids not learning the traditional "3 Rs" in the WA state primary system, but also the WA private schools. There are also teachers who are not happy with how the Ed Dept treats them, or unhappy with the curriculum or outcomes-based education. If you've got the funds and teaching experience, you can buy into one of these businesses and watch the cash flow in - but you'd have to be careful to pick the right location and demographics.
I work for one of those centres, and i can safely say that in WA business is definately NOT booming, and I work in the second largest city in WA!!!!!! Due to recession that has hit the rest of the world, $48 a session/ week is a lot of money, and somewhere parents feel they can pull back. Furthermore, lots of the private schools now offer free tutoring afterschool! We normally have 12 students on a Tuesday, this week we had 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I work for one of those centres, and i can safely say that in WA business is definately NOT booming, and I work in the second largest city in WA!!!!!! Due to recession that has hit the rest of the world, $48 a session/ week is a lot of money, and somewhere parents feel they can pull back. Furthermore, lots of the private schools now offer free tutoring afterschool! We normally have 12 students on a Tuesday, this week we had 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a shame, but I did say that it's about location, like any other business. The Subiaco, Dalkeith and Floreat ones are booming.