Teaching in OZ

Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

cherry bakewell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in OZ

Hi
Has anyone got any information about teaching in colleges,for example pay and qualifications needed. Am teaching in college in UK and have Certificate in Education

Thanks
Michelle
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in OZ

To teach in Oz you will need full paperwork from the UK - original or certified copies of everything. You will then need to register with the state education authority, who control employment of teachers in the state sector. Alternatively you can apply directly to indies, who will probably also want all the paperwork.
Much better to get it sorted before you go, as I understand it's a bit of a mission completing it all once you've got there! Good luck!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for the info. Do you know if my cert ed would be enough to teach or would I need a degree?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cherry bakewell
Hi
Thanks for the info. Do you know if my cert ed would be enough to teach or would I need a degree?
You will need 4 years of tertiary education, at least one year of which has to be university based training in education.

You also need to get your skills assessed by AIE-NOOR and register with the state you want to work in.

More info here

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...nt/Default.htm
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. Are you in oz or waiting to go?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi michelle, will follow this thread with interest as Im also teaching in the UK in further education and have just finished my cert ed! I have applied and just passed the skills assessment, however i did this on my cheffing quals and not my teaching ones as i thought this would be quicker and easier. it does look as though im going to have to do it all again when i get to oz so i can teach in fe!!!
keep me posted on your progress and good luck
Peace
Dave

Hi
Has anyone got any information about teaching in colleges,for example pay and qualifications needed. Am teaching in college in UK and have Certificate in Education

Thanks
Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching in TAFE in Victoria is far easier than teaching in school so it might be that you can teach at a local TAFE with your qualifications but might not be OK to teach in school. A lot depends on which subjects you are teaching as I know some subjects require teaching qualifications and others are more flexible. It might be worth contacting the personnel dept. in a few local TAFE colleges and seeing what they say about your qualifications.
To teach in school in Victoria you will require a full 4 year academic degree or a 3 year degree with 1 year University based teacher training year. I am going through the process of applying for my final year here and it has been a serious slog to get my degree OK'd now I just have to wait and see.
Nicky
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Who did you get your skills assessed by? I'm not sure if it's vetassess or TRA to get mine assessed by....
Do you still work as a chef or are you teaching full time? Good luck and keep me posted!

Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyP
Teaching in TAFE in Victoria is far easier than teaching in school so it might be that you can teach at a local TAFE with your qualifications but might not be OK to teach in school. A lot depends on which subjects you are teaching as I know some subjects require teaching qualifications and others are more flexible. It might be worth contacting the personnel dept. in a few local TAFE colleges and seeing what they say about your qualifications.
To teach in school in Victoria you will require a full 4 year academic degree or a 3 year degree with 1 year University based teacher training year. I am going through the process of applying for my final year here and it has been a serious slog to get my degree OK'd now I just have to wait and see.
Nicky

Nicky

it is Victoria I am heading for!!
I teach childcare/early years and would like to continue teaching at a TAFE but would also be interested in doing a dgree once I got out there.

Good luck with it all

Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi michelle, I had my skills ass done by TRA in Canberra. Im teaching catering Full time but also do a little freelance cheffing locally. Are you a chef?
Peace
Dave

Hi

Who did you get your skills assessed by? I'm not sure if it's vetassess or TRA to get mine assessed by....
Do you still work as a chef or are you teaching full time? Good luck and keep me posted!

Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky

it is Victoria I am heading for!!
I teach childcare/early years and would like to continue teaching at a TAFE but would also be interested in doing a dgree once I got out there.

Good luck with it all

Michelle
Childcare and early years education is going through a bit of change here at the moment so you might struggle to teach it without a degree. It is an anomolie in education as it is dealt with under the Human Resources Department rather than Education which causes some confusion. There are certificates in childcare available alongside the teaching degrees and you might be able to teach these at TAFE. I would speak to a TAFE close to where you hope to move and ask them what courses they provide and what qualifications they require for teaching those courses.
There are plenty of degrees and qualified early childcare staff are always in demand although there is little full time work as Kinders are all part time (children only get approx 10 hours kinder per week) so full time has to be in private childcare. It is a growing area so I am sure that you will find a place within it but be prepared to have to provide tons of paperwork and if possible get your qualifications checked before you leave the UK to save time and stress later.
Nicky
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyP
Childcare and early years education is going through a bit of change here at the moment so you might struggle to teach it without a degree. It is an anomolie in education as it is dealt with under the Human Resources Department rather than Education which causes some confusion. There are certificates in childcare available alongside the teaching degrees and you might be able to teach these at TAFE. I would speak to a TAFE close to where you hope to move and ask them what courses they provide and what qualifications they require for teaching those courses.
There are plenty of degrees and qualified early childcare staff are always in demand although there is little full time work as Kinders are all part time (children only get approx 10 hours kinder per week) so full time has to be in private childcare. It is a growing area so I am sure that you will find a place within it but be prepared to have to provide tons of paperwork and if possible get your qualifications checked before you leave the UK to save time and stress later.
Nicky
Hi Nicky

Thanks for the advice!
Am just looking at who I need to send my qualifications to in order to get them assessed.
How long have you been out there? Pleased you went?

Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davyboy
Hi michelle, I had my skills ass done by TRA in Canberra. Im teaching catering Full time but also do a little freelance cheffing locally. Are you a chef?
Peace
Dave
Hi Dave
No I'm not a chef infact my husband laughed hysterically when he read that comment - cheek, my cooking has kept him alive for the last 12 years!!! Well almost!
Chef's are on the occupations list aren't they so you don't need to rely on teaching?
I teach childcare and before that worked in private nurseries.
Have you put your forms in yet? Where are you looking at going to?

Michelle
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Nicky

Thanks for the advice!
Am just looking at who I need to send my qualifications to in order to get them assessed.
How long have you been out there? Pleased you went?

Michelle
We have been here a year and it has been a good move for us. We are feeling a bit more settled and I am hoping to start my course next year which will make a huge difference as my career has always had to go on hold with the kids and moving. I would contact a TAFE along with the Victorian Institute of Teachers and also the Overseas Qualifications Unit in Melbourne are worth a look. All of those options will be free so that is a plus point. Other than that you have to check out whoever it is that does the skills checks for childcare and that will either be VETASSESS or NOOSR I think and there are charges involved. Be prepared for a lot of work with these people if your qualifications do not conform to their usual framework, it can be done but you have to keep with it and the earlier you start the better.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Hiya Michelle, Ive had the YES from TRA 10 days ago so were buzzin. Ive just started to look at the visa application and digest how much info they want from you. Were looking to go to canberra as we have family there, there's also a good catering college there too.
keep in touch
Dave

Hi Dave
No I'm not a chef infact my husband laughed hysterically when he read that comment - cheek, my cooking has kept him alive for the last 12 years!!! Well almost!
Chef's are on the occupations list aren't they so you don't need to rely on teaching?
I teach childcare and before that worked in private nurseries.
Have you put your forms in yet? Where are you looking at going to?

Michelle