teaching in Oz

Old Jun 16th 2002, 6:56 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
tinaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Gold Coast- the best place in the world
Posts: 3,196
tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default teaching in Oz

Really excited to have found this site as everyone seems to give such good advice!

I have sent off my skills assessment 2 months age.
I am a primary school teacher hoping to migrate. Are there any fellow teachers out there who have taught or are teaching in OZ ?
I would love to find out differences or similarities.

Is it very different in the public and private school system ?
At present I teach maths in an independent school and I am happy there, but my husband hates his job. Teaching in state schools over here is terrible, hours too long etc. Is it the same in OZ?

We also hate the British weather and work based lifestyle over here.
Any comments appreciated.
Tinaj
tinaj is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2002, 9:37 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
shaun/lor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: geelong, vic. forever
Posts: 634
shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in Oz

the class sizes were smaller then england. they had approx 20 in a class at the infant schools which is great for us as we have a 5 year old. i dont know if this is also the case in the secondary. its a lovely place and a great place for kids as we keep getting told while we were there. well hope everything works out for you Lor
shaun/lor is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:14 pm
  #3  
Ktylawson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Hiya Tinaj

i too am a teacher. I came to teach in the UK 2 yrs ago and i too hate it. Back home
teaching is alot more relaxed and you have the freedom, due to the weathe to take the
kids outside. People seem to people to get along better and work better together. I
am hoping it hasn't changed that much in 2 yrs though

My friend came over here last December, she only lasted till April, so i guess from
all she was saying teaching is far more relaxed. I am not sure bout the paperwork,
but i do know that Aussie aren't as prim and proper, besides that the kids aren't
as arrogant.

Its a different culture you'd love it. I know i can't wait to get home to teach and
if its anything like teaching over here than i am leaving. Its gotta be better after
all there's no OFSTED.

Well hope i can be of some help, feel free to contact me if needs be if you have
any questions. They are crying out for teachers back home so i doubt you'll have
any problems.

Cheers Kate
 
Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:14 pm
  #4  
Havel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Hi Kate,

We came to Sydney three months ago. My wife is a secondary school teacher and she got
a job after two and half weeks! She applied for five positions, got three interviews
and at the end could choose between two jobs. Completely different story from me
looking very hardly for job in IT for 10 weeks!

I think we exchanged a few messages on this website about a year ago! I have
a feeling I could recall your husband/boyfriend is in IT too? Do you have you
PR already?

Martin (old registration [email protected])
 
Old Jun 17th 2002, 7:21 pm
  #5  
Ktylawson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Hiya Martin, Not too sure if we have spoke before......but never mind. So how's your
wife finding teaching in OZ? Don't worry you'll get something in IT.

What did you mean by PR?

Cheers Kate
 
Old Jun 17th 2002, 10:20 pm
  #6  
Heidi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Hi there

I'm a secondary school teacher, still waiting to hear those magic words ('you're in
!') My NOOSR assessment took about 4 months and we lodged our visa application July
2001. So 9 months to wait before I call the AHC in London and ask anything of them.

Where are you hoping to go in Oz. Were looking at Melbourne.

Cheers

Heidi "tinaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Really excited to have found this site as everyone seems to give such good advice!
    >
    > I have sent off my skills assessment 2 months age. I am a primary school teacher
    > hoping to migrate. Are there any fellow teachers out there who have taught or are
    > teaching in OZ ? I would love to find out differences or similarities.
    >
    > Is it very different in the public and private school system ? At present I teach
    > maths in an independent school and I am happy there, but my husband hates his job.
    > Teaching in state schools over here is terrible, hours too long etc. Is it the
    > same in OZ?
    >
    > We also hate the British weather and work based lifestyle over here. Any comments
    > appreciated. Tinaj
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Jun 18th 2002, 11:20 am
  #7  
Havel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Hi Kate (Lawson),

No worries, we have not spoke before. I tried to post my reply to first Kate (Robert
Firth) really, for some reason it was not placed there.

Cheers, Martin

[email protected] (KtyLawson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hiya Martin, Not too sure if we have spoke before......but never mind. So how's
    > your wife finding teaching in OZ? Don't worry you'll get something in IT.
    >
    > What did you mean by PR?
    >
    > Cheers Kate
 
Old Jan 9th 2003, 7:43 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 22
jameslucy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Originally posted by Havel
Hi Kate,

We came to Sydney three months ago. My wife is a secondary school teacher and she got
a job after two and half weeks! She applied for five positions, got three interviews
and at the end could choose between two jobs. Completely different story from me
looking very hardly for job in IT for 10 weeks!

I think we exchanged a few messages on this website about a year ago! I have
a feeling I could recall your husband/boyfriend is in IT too? Do you have you
PR already?

Martin (old registration [email protected])
Are the qualifications any different? Are UK teachers OK to teach in Australia or do you have to complete another course? We are planning to move in August and we are both secondary teachers.

Lucy
jameslucy is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2003, 3:02 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: melbourne
Posts: 124
Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Originally posted by Ktylawson
Hiya Tinaj

i too am a teacher. I came to teach in the UK 2 yrs ago and i too hate it. Back home
teaching is alot more relaxed and you have the freedom, due to the weathe to take the
kids outside. People seem to people to get along better and work better together. I
am hoping it hasn't changed that much in 2 yrs though

My friend came over here last December, she only lasted till April, so i guess from
all she was saying teaching is far more relaxed. I am not sure bout the paperwork,
but i do know that Aussie aren't as prim and proper, besides that the kids aren't
as arrogant.

Its a different culture you'd love it. I know i can't wait to get home to teach and
if its anything like teaching over here than i am leaving. Its gotta be better after
all there's no OFSTED.

Well hope i can be of some help, feel free to contact me if needs be if you have
any questions. They are crying out for teachers back home so i doubt you'll have
any problems.

Cheers Kate
This is total crap-my wife has just finished her dip ed -she went to Cranbourne high in eastern suburbs , melbourne-kids threatened her-with rude comments, kicked in walls in a new theatre complex, ran out of the class, threw books-the schools are rough, no kids learn-its a typical aussie high school-no OFSTED-a disaster!!!!-u dont know what its like- unlike in england-primary is better
-its a terrible culture-actually there isn't one-just sport and beer...
u HAVE TO teach in private schools-unless u are rough like the aussies...
we are coming to england thanks-we want to reach retirement!!!

"but i do know that Aussie aren't as prim and proper, besides that the kids aren't as arrogant."
-rubbish-the whole place is arrogant!! the kids are out-of-control!
Twofingersalute is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2003, 9:26 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 298
pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
This is total crap-my wife has just finished her dip ed -she went to Cranbourne high in eastern suburbs , melbourne-kids threatened her-with rude comments, kicked in walls in a new theatre complex, ran out of the class, threw books-the schools are rough, no kids learn-its a typical aussie high school-no OFSTED-a disaster!!!!-u dont know what its like- unlike in england-primary is better
-its a terrible culture-actually there isn't one-just sport and beer...
u HAVE TO teach in private schools-unless u are rough like the aussies...
we are coming to england thanks-we want to reach retirement!!!

"but i do know that Aussie aren't as prim and proper, besides that the kids aren't as arrogant."
-rubbish-the whole place is arrogant!! the kids are out-of-control!
On a (slightly) more balanced note, I have to say that one of the main disappointments I've had since moving to Brisbane from the UK is the atrocious standard of education my two (primary school aged) children are receiving here. Not only are the teachers under-valued by society in general, (it's not regarded as a "profession" here - it's "just a job"), but the attitudes of the staff towards unruly and troublesome pupils belies belief.

For the first time in his school life, my 10 year old son has been subjected to both psychological and physical bullying, and the school has done nothing to stop this.

My daughter, who was reading "first chapter" books at the end of year 2 in the UK is now, in Oz Year 2, back on to the basic reading scheme "The dog is a good dog" type of books (and when I repeatedly questioned this with the school, their response was, "oh well, never mind, I expect she enjoys reading easier books" - yes she does, she's pretty lazy in that respect, but really...)

they both attend what is widely regarded as the best state primary school in the area - god help the others!!!
pommiesheila is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2003, 4:30 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 22
jameslucy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Does anyone know what the teaching requirements are for Australia? Are they the same as the UK??
jameslucy is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2003, 4:39 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
tinaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Gold Coast- the best place in the world
Posts: 3,196
tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default

If you are applying to emigrate you need to have a 3yr degree plus teaching qualification or 4 year teaching degree.
I would presume if you are just going to work out there, that your English qualifications would be accepted as they are to emigrate, which is a far lengthier process.

I think you will find your qualification is actually above what they have to do in Aus, so you shouldn't have any problems. You do have to register with the State to teach in some states. I don't know about all but definately Queensland and NSW.

Tina
tinaj is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2003, 1:21 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: melbourne
Posts: 124
Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in Oz

Originally posted by pommiesheila
On a (slightly) more balanced note, I have to say that one of the main disappointments I've had since moving to Brisbane from the UK is the atrocious standard of education my two (primary school aged) children are receiving here. Not only are the teachers under-valued by society in general, (it's not regarded as a "profession" here - it's "just a job"), but the attitudes of the staff towards unruly and troublesome pupils belies belief.

For the first time in his school life, my 10 year old son has been subjected to both psychological and physical bullying, and the school has done nothing to stop this.

My daughter, who was reading "first chapter" books at the end of year 2 in the UK is now, in Oz Year 2, back on to the basic reading scheme "The dog is a good dog" type of books (and when I repeatedly questioned this with the school, their response was, "oh well, never mind, I expect she enjoys reading easier books" - yes she does, she's pretty lazy in that respect, but really...)

they both attend what is widely regarded as the best state primary school in the area - god help the others!!!
I think u might have to consider a return to UK BEFORE resentment and illness kicks in-i know what bullying is like in this oppressive country-the aussies are relentless and unforgiving towards difference-high school will be worse still-the school I was at introduced smoking, didn't have to wear uniform, threw metal darts around the room, pea shooted in my face,bashed me up-ALL for being English-I really hate australia for that and flatly refuse to put my children threw australian school life(death)-my wife will get a treaching post by sep this year in england, hopefully!
Twofingersalute is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2003, 8:47 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: 'stralia
Posts: 43
Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Been teaching here for 2.5 years (primary). Heading back to UK in the middle of the year.
Standards (in state schools) are generally poor (no OFSTED!), pay is poor, education is generally not valued.

There is a comment from a NZ teacher ("Muppetking") in the thread ("schools in NZ") - most of what she has written could equally well be applied to Aus.
Bernard is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2003, 1:16 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: melbourne
Posts: 124
Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Bernard
Been teaching here for 2.5 years (primary). Heading back to UK in the middle of the year.
Standards (in state schools) are generally poor (no OFSTED!), pay is poor, education is generally not valued.

There is a comment from a NZ teacher ("Muppetking") in the thread ("schools in NZ") - most of what she has written could equally well be applied to Aus.
where are u thinking of teaching in england?
Twofingersalute is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.