Teaching in NT?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough
Default Teaching in NT?

Hi - has anyone any experience of teaching in NT? Am interested in either remote or city schools, but realise I shall probably have to live in the middle of nowhere for a few years before getting a "civilised" posting! I have Australian citizenship and passport but don't imagine this will make any difference to the fact that I will have to do my time out in the wilds of NT! Would love to hear from anyone who has taught or is teaching in a remote area of NT. I really love the idea of this, but would like to know what it is like in reality? I guess it must be pretty hard all told, but would love to think I could have the chance to try something completely different. Am I being naive or could it work? I am not a city person and love the countryside but am not sure if NT idea of remote is the same as mine!! Thanks for any thoughts you may have. Lou xx
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in NT?

Um, "countryside" and the NT arent quite the same IMHO. If you are single, young and female I would think very long before going to a remote area.

There was a good article in Quadrant recently. Most will knock Quadrant as a right wing rag but take a look at what this bloke has to say anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quoll
Um, "countryside" and the NT arent quite the same IMHO. If you are single, young and female I would think very long before going to a remote area.

There was a good article in Quadrant recently. Most will knock Quadrant as a right wing rag but take a look at what this bloke has to say anyway.
Thanks for that! Unfortunately, I only qualify in one of the three above! (Female) Am old (according to some!) and married and as you say, "countryside" and NT are completely different. I am worried that I might not be able to cope with isolation in NT terms. I mean, I do like to be away from everything, and I am happier in fields than in towns and cities, but even so...I think you must have to have a certain temprament to survive in some remote areas of NT? We had been looking at SA and NSW before and I am now totally confused as to what to do. I am also worried that even if I fitted in well, OH would find it difficult to fill his days. (he is Scottish and one of those people who is always on the go) Wish someone could wave a magic wand and make it all happen!! Lou xx
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aussie4me
Thanks for that! Unfortunately, I only qualify in one of the three above! (Female) Am old (according to some!) and married and as you say, "countryside" and NT are completely different. I am worried that I might not be able to cope with isolation in NT terms. I mean, I do like to be away from everything, and I am happier in fields than in towns and cities, but even so...I think you must have to have a certain temprament to survive in some remote areas of NT? We had been looking at SA and NSW before and I am now totally confused as to what to do. I am also worried that even if I fitted in well, OH would find it difficult to fill his days. (he is Scottish and one of those people who is always on the go) Wish someone could wave a magic wand and make it all happen!! Lou xx
What about WA, I hear they need teachers? There is a jobs by profession board and teaching is there, they have loads of useful answers on it...

Here it is...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, you qualify on the one most likely to give you concerns about your safety. Some communities cant keep nurses, teachers etc because of the security concerns.

Victoria also has some good remote areas and they may offer your OH some job satisfaction as well.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi - has anyone any experience of teaching in NT? Am interested in either remote or city schools, but realise I shall probably have to live in the middle of nowhere for a few years before getting a "civilised" posting! I have Australian citizenship and passport but don't imagine this will make any difference to the fact that I will have to do my time out in the wilds of NT! Would love to hear from anyone who has taught or is teaching in a remote area of NT. I really love the idea of this, but would like to know what it is like in reality? I guess it must be pretty hard all told, but would love to think I could have the chance to try something completely different. Am I being naive or could it work? I am not a city person and love the countryside but am not sure if NT idea of remote is the same as mine!! Thanks for any thoughts you may have. Lou xx
Hi

I taught in Alice Springs High School for a period from 2002 and I had a good time. I met many nice staff and students there. I was welcomed into the town no problem, and made many life-long friends there and met many genuine Australians there - much more so than in other parts of Australia I have lived in.

It is true to say that some of the remote community schools are remote, and as a female I would find out more information. But I know females teachers who go out there regularly, but you are never sent on your own.

As for 'civilised', I am not quite sure what you mean? There are bits of Sydney for example than I would not describe as civilised, or bits of Melbourne, or Brisbane, or Perth?. There are wonderful people doing wonderful things in the NT, and living out there is unique, and very different from the east coast. The problem is many people from the east coast have a skewed image of Alice and the NT. Their issue, but I thought it was a wonderful place.

It would be worth you maybe getting in touch with an NT teacher and asking them directly or emailing them. They would be very welcoming you with 'genuine' and 'informed' advice.

There are teacher examples on the NT Teachers website and I think you can contact them.

Best of luck

Gordo
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi again

Just been thinking. If you wish to send me an email and list some questions, then I can try and help you some more.

Just a note too, I worked in London before I went to the NT and did not feel cut off. I would recommend you think about Darwin or Alice (Alice is better I think and more of a community). They are always looking for Relief Teachers - I saw an advert this week for the private school there for teachers (St. Phillips), for relief teachers. Often this leads to longer-term positions. Also bear in mind that the schools in town have links with remote area schools, so you maybe better looking for an Alice job, and linking in that way. Your cohort will also be many Aboriginal students (Arender, Artente), and you will be able to attend cultural awareness courses - essential.

Alice is made up of many, many different nationalities, is NOT red-neck, but eccentric. Full of Aussies from everywhere, and many overseas people too.
I was never bored or lonely there, and never felt cut off. When I lived in Perth for a while I hated it - I felt cut off there, parochial, narrow-minded, backwards thinking and not progressive. The pay was much better than on the east coast etc.

Alice is unique and nobody who has not lived there will be able to tell you what it is about the place. People who live there cannot tell you either, it's just something about it. It's unique, take the chance, but I would go for a job in Alice being realistic.

Good luck, hope to speak soon.

Gordo
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Hi again

Just been thinking. If you wish to send me an email and list some questions, then I can try and help you some more.

Just a note too, I worked in London before I went to the NT and did not feel cut off. I would recommend you think about Darwin or Alice (Alice is better I think and more of a community). They are always looking for Relief Teachers - I saw an advert this week for the private school there for teachers (St. Phillips), for relief teachers. Often this leads to longer-term positions. Also bear in mind that the schools in town have links with remote area schools, so you maybe better looking for an Alice job, and linking in that way. Your cohort will also be many Aboriginal students (Arender, Artente), and you will be able to attend cultural awareness courses - essential.

Alice is made up of many, many different nationalities, is NOT red-neck, but eccentric. Full of Aussies from everywhere, and many overseas people too.
I was never bored or lonely there, and never felt cut off. When I lived in Perth for a while I hated it - I felt cut off there, parochial, narrow-minded, backwards thinking and not progressive. The pay was much better than on the east coast etc.

Alice is unique and nobody who has not lived there will be able to tell you what it is about the place. People who live there cannot tell you either, it's just something about it. It's unique, take the chance, but I would go for a job in Alice being realistic.

Good luck, hope to speak soon.

Gordo
Thank you - I will send you a PM if you are sure you don't mind. It would be really helpful to talk to you. Will send a message soon Thanks again. Love Lou x P.S. It's STILL snowing here!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you - I will send you a PM if you are sure you don't mind. It would be really helpful to talk to you. Will send a message soon Thanks again. Love Lou x P.S. It's STILL snowing here!!!
Ha, yes, I could get nowhere in London too today either! Everything had ground to a halt and I had really important 6th form careers interviews to do. Maybe not tomorrow either! It's a bit different from the Alice!

Cheers

Gordo
Old May 4th 2009, 7:26 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Ha, yes, I could get nowhere in London too today either! Everything had ground to a halt and I had really important 6th form careers interviews to do. Maybe not tomorrow either! It's a bit different from the Alice!

Cheers

Gordo
Hi Gordo, I'm very intrigued about teaching in NT (though I am Primary as opposed to Secondary), any tips? I'm not single, and not married, but my OH could well end up somewhere else apart from NT (Aussie Army transfer from British Army), so would you recommend Alice as somewhere safe for a young female to live?