Reload this Page >

Teaching Melbourne/ Victoria

Teaching Melbourne/ Victoria

Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

smwtorrington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Melbourne/ Victoria

Hi folks

Is there anybody out there with experience of gaining a teaching post in Victoria ? looked through past threads but not much information. We are looking, all going well, to be in Melbourne early 2005. My wife is a primary school teacher with 8 yrs experience. We have reached the pre-grant letter stage so shouldnt be too far away (everything crossed). Aware that she now has to get registered with Victoria, any advice on this and any general info on teaching posts eg does every application you make have to be specific as in UK or is there just one universal application. From what we have seen it looks just as much paperwork getting registered (register for experieced teacher i presume not just for teaching ?) and applying as it does for the visa application! particularly when they will want details/ evidence of supervised teaching from uni days 10 yrs ago and evidence of all teaching posts for salary calculation.

Any help, tips would be greatly received; it cant be as difficult as it looks can it ???. Cheers

Scott and Fiona
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:01 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching Melbourne/ Victoria

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Hi folks

Is there anybody out there with experience of gaining a teaching post in Victoria ? looked through past threads but not much information. We are looking, all going well, to be in Melbourne early 2005. My wife is a primary school teacher with 8 yrs experience. We have reached the pre-grant letter stage so shouldnt be too far away (everything crossed). Aware that she now has to get registered with Victoria, any advice on this and any general info on teaching posts eg does every application you make have to be specific as in UK or is there just one universal application. From what we have seen it looks just as much paperwork getting registered (register for experieced teacher i presume not just for teaching ?) and applying as it does for the visa application! particularly when they will want details/ evidence of supervised teaching from uni days 10 yrs ago and evidence of all teaching posts for salary calculation.

Any help, tips would be greatly received; it cant be as difficult as it looks can it ???. Cheers

Scott and Fiona
Hi Scott and Fiona

I am an Australian trained teacher who is currently living in the UK but going home sometime this year, i too will be in a similar situation to you. You will need to register with the state education authority. Don't be disheartened by all the paperwork and there will be lots, you have one great advantage over the aussie teachers.....you are english trained. The aussie principals love that!

Once you have registered with the State you will then be able to apply to any vacancy you see advertised, abit like your dfee number here you will get a certificate of registration and all that stuff. TO be honest with you though i have been over here nearly 5 yrs now so they might have changed it. I could do with finding out myself, do you guys have any links i can look into?

Don't know if i have been of much help but it used to be once you registered with the State and teaching council you are free to work and apply for any vacancy.

Katy
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

smwtorrington is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Katy

These are links we've been using;

www.vit.vic.edu.au
www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/hrweb/careers
www.teaching.vic.gov.au

registering seems a little tricky but I think you can do it while your still in the UK, although it appears you cant complete the `experienced application for full registration` until you have an oz post but you must complete the longer registration to teach application before you can teach ?! if anybody has completed this recently please help !

Cheers

Fiona
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Teaching Melbourne/ Victoria

I've just recently registered as a teacher in Victoria (currently secondary school teacher in UK) and apart from getting details of my teaching experience here in the UK, it was pretty easy and straight forward. Done alot of my communications online with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
Hope everything goes well for you, let me know if i can help you in any way.
Best regards
Gary
Old Aug 25th 2004, 7:46 am
Banned

PINOYAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Hi folks

Scott and Fiona
Try the Catholic Education Office.

Westly Russell
Migration Agent