Teaching jobs

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

twiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Teaching jobs

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about teaching jobs in Aus.

I've worked teaching A level media studies in tertiary (in Wales) and English in private schools (in Portugal) and currently I'm doing English cover in a state comp until Christmas, by which time I'll (hopefully) have a visa. I can't imagine anything worse than doing the job that I'm currently doing for more than a couple of months, although I loved my previous jobs, especially working with the 16-19's.

So, a few questions:

How does working in the state-sector compare with the UK and what are the chances of getting work in a private school?

How does 16-19 ed work in Aus?

I'm also TEFL qualified - any good options there?

My wife's a primary school teacher, what can she expect?

Any advice, information or encouragement very gratefully received!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching jobs

Originally Posted by twiss
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about teaching jobs in Aus.

I've worked teaching A level media studies in tertiary (in Wales) and English in private schools (in Portugal) and currently I'm doing English cover in a state comp until Christmas, by which time I'll (hopefully) have a visa. I can't imagine anything worse than doing the job that I'm currently doing for more than a couple of months, although I loved my previous jobs, especially working with the 16-19's.

So, a few questions:

How does working in the state-sector compare with the UK and what are the chances of getting work in a private school?

How does 16-19 ed work in Aus?

I'm also TEFL qualified - any good options there?

My wife's a primary school teacher, what can she expect?

Any advice, information or encouragement very gratefully received!
Children are children wherever you go. But in my experience being a teacher in both Oz and the UK (qualified in OZ taught for nine years befoire coming to UK) I have found the Oz children to be slightly more child-like than the UK ones who tend to grow up WAY to fast. For example it is not acceptable for 15-16 year olds to be in pubs in Oz. They are quite strict about it and very few do it. Maybe a few 17 year olds slip in but then they tend to be almost of age anyway. But they get out doors and play games/sport etc... Even in the 'rougher' areas I've never had any real problems with children being disrespectful, rude or violent. Truancy isn't the issue it is over here.
But I love my job here!
I teach in an independent school so I'm not bothered by all the constraints of the state. And my children tend to be very clever. You'll find the academic standard quite high in Oz. But there are other aspects of the education that we don't push so early on.

Best advice is contact the education department in whatever state you're heading to. WA's is www.eddept.wa.edu.au and they are extremely helpful. You do need recognised qualifications in order to teach in Australia so check that yours is what's required. WA has just brought in a new Register of Teachers as well so that's something else to look at. But the best bet is to e-mail the department direct and ask questions.

They have been fantastic with me and more than helpful.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:43 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Teaching jobs

Originally Posted by Ushas
Children are children wherever you go. But in my experience being a teacher in both Oz and the UK (qualified in OZ taught for nine years befoire coming to UK) I have found the Oz children to be slightly more child-like than the UK ones who tend to grow up WAY to fast. For example it is not acceptable for 15-16 year olds to be in pubs in Oz. They are quite strict about it and very few do it. Maybe a few 17 year olds slip in but then they tend to be almost of age anyway. But they get out doors and play games/sport etc... Even in the 'rougher' areas I've never had any real problems with children being disrespectful, rude or violent. Truancy isn't the issue it is over here.
But I love my job here!
I teach in an independent school so I'm not bothered by all the constraints of the state. And my children tend to be very clever. You'll find the academic standard quite high in Oz. But there are other aspects of the education that we don't push so early on.

Best advice is contact the education department in whatever state you're heading to. WA's is www.eddept.wa.edu.au and they are extremely helpful. You do need recognised qualifications in order to teach in Australia so check that yours is what's required. WA has just brought in a new Register of Teachers as well so that's something else to look at. But the best bet is to e-mail the department direct and ask questions.

They have been fantastic with me and more than helpful.

I will second that .... plenty of relief / supply work while you get started. Edu dept WA is the first point of contact , then call the schools in your locality diectly for relief work. The phone will not stop ringing if you are good.

Great place and the kids... well .. they are just doing their job!

Being great kids!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:43 am
Just Joined

twiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnie7au
I will second that .... plenty of relief / supply work while you get started. Edu dept WA is the first point of contact , then call the schools in your locality diectly for relief work. The phone will not stop ringing if you are good.

Great place and the kids... well .. they are just doing their job!

Being great kids!
Thanks for the replies! I'll try the QLD/ NSW ed boards as our (probable) destination is the Gold Coast, but we'd certainly think about the North Coast NSW or Sunshine Coast if the opportunities look better there.

I do like kids - even got a couple of my own - I don't expect them to be angels, but I like being in a situation where I feel that the school/ educational environment is such that they are getting the best from me, which isn't happening now!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Hi
It's good to hear that you seem to think that teaching jobs are available, but when I researched it I found the exact opposite, is it just secondary jobs that are in good supply? I am an infant teacher hoping to move to the Brisbane area I have done a fair bit of research but so far I have only received a very bleak outlook. Basicaly stating that you are posted around the state in all of the worst school and areas until you have accrued enough points and years to move somewhere half decent. I hope you are right and I'm wrong. If anyone has any further info please let me know.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vikk
Hi
It's good to hear that you seem to think that teaching jobs are available, but when I researched it I found the exact opposite, is it just secondary jobs that are in good supply? I am an infant teacher hoping to move to the Brisbane area I have done a fair bit of research but so far I have only received a very bleak outlook. Basicaly stating that you are posted around the state in all of the worst school and areas until you have accrued enough points and years to move somewhere half decent. I hope you are right and I'm wrong. If anyone has any further info please let me know.
Basically because Oz is so large and there are so many country schools that are difficult to staff they send new recruits to these parts for a certain amount of time before being able to qualify for more permanent positions in the city.

In WA this is called permanencey and you are required to do 2 years country before this is granted.
However, if you are willing to do relief (supply) or temporary positions then you can end up employed all the time. This is what I plan to do as I've already done 3 years country service in WA. Because I have left and am coming back after six years away I'd have to do it again. But I decided enough was enough.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ushas
Basically because Oz is so large and there are so many country schools that are difficult to staff they send new recruits to these parts for a certain amount of time before being able to qualify for more permanent positions in the city.

In WA this is called permanencey and you are required to do 2 years country before this is granted.
Would this apply to Secondary schools in SA too, do you reckon? How about say Catholic Secondaries? Would the same rules apply?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Would this apply to Secondary schools in SA too, do you reckon? How about say Catholic Secondaries? Would the same rules apply?

This applies only to the state system. The independent system is completely different and jobs are given on a merit selection system (ie- the best person for the job).

What I am thinking of doing is registering and doing relief and looking around for an independent school job at the same time. Although I quite like the thought of 'no responsibility/accountability/reports' if you know what I mean. And I can pick and choose my days if I want. And if you get a good name for relief you'll never be without work. It's just that you have to budget over holidays and things.

Although if you work a full week in one school you get a 'bonus' payment. I did relief for my first term and had to turn down people all the time because I was already committed to other schools. I ended up working full time for three weeks at one school. They would have had me back after the hols as well except I got a full-time temp position.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting to read this thread. i teach english and media to A level in state comps in uk and have already downloaded and printed off some very helpful application packs etc from both qld and nsw education departments. all is explained there and they seem very friendly. i am planning to do supply as soon as i get there and then look for permanent positions but i have been very worried about how much supply will be available since we won't be able to afford to operate without income! i am also aiming for mid east coast but want to be where property is cheap since we won't be bringing a huge amount of cash from our little cottage. i am worried this will not fit well with the availability of supply work. any thoughts?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
interesting to read this thread. i teach english and media to A level in state comps in uk and have already downloaded and printed off some very helpful application packs etc from both qld and nsw education departments. all is explained there and they seem very friendly. i am planning to do supply as soon as i get there and then look for permanent positions but i have been very worried about how much supply will be available since we won't be able to afford to operate without income! i am also aiming for mid east coast but want to be where property is cheap since we won't be bringing a huge amount of cash from our little cottage. i am worried this will not fit well with the availability of supply work. any thoughts?

I can't really comment about the state of play with relief work in NSW/QLD but in WA there's plenty to go around. I can't imagine it's any different over east though. People always get sick/go on courses and need replacing for the short term. I mean even in my tiny school in the UK we could use a supply teacher 50% of the time if we were able to. Just make sure you circulate your details to as many schools as you possibly can. I assume it's the same over east but in WA it is up to you to let schools know about your availability.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:28 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

In WA this is called permanencey and you are required to do 2 years country before this is granted..
Sorry ... you can refuse to do country service and still get a permanent position. That is exactly what I did. (It just takes a while longer.) No big deal - I have always had teaching jobs in schools for the whole year. Its just that at the begining of the year they may offer you a different school. So far I have worked in three schools very local to me. Now I am permanent I stay at my present school and I love it!

Last edited by johnnie7au; Oct 25th 2004 at 8:32 am.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have been doing relief teaching for the past few months here in QLD. I was initially gobsmacked by the amount of work offered, sometimes I have had 4 xcalls in a day! However a lot of this is down to my SEN qualifications which are in big demand here.

It is completely up to you to find work once you are registered. You should take your cv around to all schools you are interested in. I teach at around 6 different schools, but 4 regularly and they keep me busy.

I was offered a staggering 8 contracts for this term, all SEN, and am currently teaching one 20 mins away from where I live. I think I am the only qualified SEN teacher around here as the Ed department seem to give my name out for most jobs.

I have found the state schools to be very laid back, much less stressful than in the Uk, but also more disorganised including the kids work! The private schools I teach at have higher discipline levels and standards of work and are more like the schools I was used to back in England.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

tinaj - you're in caloundra! lucky you. its beautiful along that coast. my brother lives at noosa, i have loads of family from there back down to brisbane. thanks for your reply. it was very reassuring. i have child protection, assistant hoy and lots of behavioural experience but no sen qualifications. do you think there is anything i could do about this in just a few months? would one of those nice little courses over a day or so be any help?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

also, what i really meant to ask was, when you say 'country' just how bush are we talking about? how far from the coast of south qld would country be? i'm thinking country may not be such a bad thing. We are not great city lovers and live a fairly simple life; dogs, wine, good food cooked at home. but a big bit of water is pretty important for windsurfing. we were quite taken with somerset dam.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
tinaj - you're in caloundra! lucky you. its beautiful along that coast. my brother lives at noosa, i have loads of family from there back down to brisbane. thanks for your reply. it was very reassuring. i have child protection, assistant hoy and lots of behavioural experience but no sen qualifications. do you think there is anything i could do about this in just a few months? would one of those nice little courses over a day or so be any help?

Yes it is a great place to live, we are really lucky to be settled here. Every Friday eve we have a take-out at the beach and remind ourselves why we came here. The sunsets are gorge at the moment and the climate is fab.

I don't think a SEN day course would really be much help as they have to assess it again over here and I don't suppose it would be recognised. Your qualifications have to be equivalent to something they have here like a post grad certificate/ diploma or Masters in SEN.

I would not worry about going bush. Temporary contracts are much more common here and you can do these long term locally and just keep on contracts all the time, even for years! This way you can avoid the going bush bit. Or else you can apply to the private schools directly for jobs.

The system for teaching out here is really odd, the ed. council give you a school, you have no interview or anything to see if you will fit in, and then a year later the ed. council can choose to move you to another school! No wonder they are short of people! One teacher I spoke to got moved to another school miles away when she returned after Maternity leave, she refused it and got a job at a private school instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.