Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching and experience question for visa

Teaching and experience question for visa

Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Teaching and experience question for visa

Hi all

I’m currently doing a computer degree at university followed by a PGCE so I will be a qualified ICT secondary school teacher in two years time but here is my question…..

I think my job is on the skilled list and worth 60 points but I don’t understand the work experience part some sites say that I will need 12 months paid work experience (due to job being 60 points) some say 3 years so any ideas which time limit is right?

Also seeing as a visa takes around 18 months to come through say that I need 3 years do I put in my visa application the day I’ve done my three years experience or can it be put in before hand?

Oooohhhh it’s so confusing and I’m only on the research part

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:07 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching and experience question for visa

- There is a basic recent work experience requirement that all general offshore skilled visa applicants must satisfy. For 60 point occupations this is the 12 months in the last 18 months requirement (modified if you can apply for certain types of skilled visa such as a Skills Matching visa or a Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored visa)

- If you are applying for a points tested skilled visa and want to claim points for what is called Specific Work Experience there is a requirement to have worked in a skilled occupation for 3 out of the last 4 years.

- These requirements have to be satisfied as at the date you submit your visa application with the DIMIA.

- Note that processing times are likely to be much less than 18 months. Say a couple of months for the skills assessment classification through the assessing body NOOSR, and then 6 to 9 months for the visa application to be processed - based on present timelines that is.

DIMIA booklet number 6 discusses this (see www.immi.gov.au and click on Forms and Booklets) in more detail, but agreed it can be confusing at times!

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi all

I’m currently doing a computer degree at university followed by a PGCE so I will be a qualified ICT secondary school teacher in two years time but here is my question…..

I think my job is on the skilled list and worth 60 points but I don’t understand the work experience part some sites say that I will need 12 months paid work experience (due to job being 60 points) some say 3 years so any ideas which time limit is right?

Also seeing as a visa takes around 18 months to come through say that I need 3 years do I put in my visa application the day I’ve done my three years experience or can it be put in before hand?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Thanks for the help and the booklet was useful but it seems that I won’t be able to emigrate that way either these are my points:

Skill = 60 points
Age = 25 points
English = 20 points

Total so far 105 points

Even with an extra 3 years work experience I will only gain an extra 10 points but even with this I will only have 115 points (then I may also loose 5 points due to age) its still under the 120 limit

Any advise or have I gone wrong somewhere with my self assessment?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help and the booklet was useful but it seems that I won’t be able to emigrate that way either these are my points:

Skill = 60 points
Age = 25 points
English = 20 points

Total so far 105 points

Even with an extra 3 years work experience I will only gain an extra 10 points but even with this I will only have 115 points (then I may also loose 5 points due to age) its still under the 120 limit

Any advise or have I gone wrong somewhere with my self assessment?
You can normally only think about migrating once you are qualified. Make sure your teaching qualification will be recognised in Australia (I think PCGE is ok, but some other routes like GTP are not). Use the NOOSR website as your reference.

The system could well be different when you apply. Remember there are non-points tested options available too, such as state or employer nomination. You may have more visa options if you are willing to start out in regional Australia.

As a final fall-back, you could look at the temporary SIR visa (South Australia is probably the most feasible option).

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

I know I'm just researching my options and chances at the moment

I'm looking into visa options at the moment before moving on to researching other things such as areas, school, cost and housing etc before commiting myself to anything
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks

Hi

We're in the same boat so to say, exactly same points, profession etc, but we have an Uncle who'll sponsor us thank god, don't you have any family in Aus? Had trouble working out the experience 12month, 18 months or 3 years lol. SIR could be an option to you as previously posted, just do lots of reseach on tresearch you go to as you'd not want to struggle to find work on the SIR or it's back to UK.
Good luck however it turns out for you, we should hopefully be in Aus within the next 3 years (god that seems such a LONG time)