Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the bush?

Teaching in the bush?

Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching in the bush?

Hey guys, just read this article... sounds interesting but would I be brave/mad enough? Hmmmmm.......
teaching in the NT
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching in the bush?

Originally posted by Larissa
Hey guys, just read this article... sounds interesting but would I be brave/mad enough? Hmmmmm.......
teaching in the NT
I'm quite sure nobody believes me (till they get here) but working in the outback or remote, is compulsory for a few years in many states for teaching. Thats in the State system, not private, but you can imagine the competition for the Private jobs to save getting sent bush

Seriously I would check it out for the state you are going to.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the bush?

Originally posted by dotty
I'm quite sure nobody believes me (till they get here) but working in the outback or remote, is compulsory for a few years in many states for teaching. Thats in the State system, not private, but you can imagine the competition for the Private jobs to save getting sent bush

Seriously I would check it out for the state you are going to.
(Believe her, its true, for newly qualified teachers over here at least, new teachers fom O/S I dont have a clue)
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking into primary teaching in WA (other states may be different) and from what I've seen so far, it is optional. There are housing and economic incentives to teach in rural and bush areas. It may come down to whether you are more employable, rather than something you have to do. City jobs would therefore be very competitive. I'll post if I find something contrary to this.
Statewide employment in WA
Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow!
A very interesting article.I too would like to teach in WA but know that the jobs are hard to come by.
I don't think my 2 kids could hack it out there in the wilderness.Personally it would do me the world of good.But got to think of the children also.
Thanks for posting it though.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:24 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

No beer, no way. I would definitely consider it if I could have my tinnie at the end of each day. I wouldn't survive without it.

Sarah
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother and Sister in Law are teaching in outback NSW (3 hours from Bathurst) in a reasonable area to get their points. They are starting to feel the remoteness and the kids can be just as big a bunch of shits as in the city.

Each town is different so count the no of heads on the kids when you inspect.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Truthfully I would say you would be absolutely mad to even consider it. We are living in the NT so know first hand people who have done it, and believe me it is a lot tougher and nastier than the article states. Many communities the teachers/medical staff etc. have to live behind barbed wire fences to keep them safe from those they are there to help. Life in these remote areas are extremely tough and so many people who go there with the intent of saving the world come away disillusioned within a short space of time.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:10 am
Badge

3hrs from Bathurst - Dubbo? Maybe further?

I was another 4 hours from Dubbo. It's another world out there. I was on my own all evening with nothing but 2 channels, a stubby and a pet tree frog - which eventually died.

badge

Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

How about contacting teachers who have been there / are there:

'Beyond the Line'

Beyond the Line to a land of opportunity

Single women teachers also tend to diversify the regional gene pool.