Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching In Australia, NSW possible, QLD impossible - what about WA?

Teaching In Australia, NSW possible, QLD impossible - what about WA?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Teaching In Australia, NSW possible, QLD impossible - what about WA?

Hi
I am a special needs teacher (advisor), want to move to Sunshine Coast but QLD ed authority do not make it easy to get a job. NSW looks pretty strainght forward.
So I thought I would investigate WA.

Can any teacher share their experiences please. Is it hard to get work, I will probably only be in the classroom for a couple of years as I have been senior management here for sometime and love it.
Thank you
Tara
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: Teaching In Australia, NSW possible, QLD impossible - what about WA?

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi
I am a special needs teacher (advisor), want to move to Sunshine Coast but QLD ed authority do not make it easy to get a job. NSW looks pretty strainght forward.

Can any teacher share their experiences please. Is it hard to get work, I will probably only be in the classroom for a couple of years as I have been senior management here for sometime and love it.
Thank you
Tara
I don't think it would be hard to get a job in WA. You need to register with WACOT (WA COLLEGE of teachers). Good teachers are like gold dust here.

Good luck Ali
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching In Australia, NSW possible, QLD impossible - what about WA?

Originally Posted by AliMay
I don't think it would be hard to get a job in WA. You need to register with WACOT (WA COLLEGE of teachers). Good teachers are like gold dust here.

Good luck Ali
For every state, things might be easier if you are willing to live in a regional area.

Jeremy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
For every state, things might be easier if you are willing to live in a regional area.

Jeremy
thank you Jeremy,
I am taking teenagers from london, I think living in a regional area will just about finish them off, that is part of the problem!
Tara
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thank you Jeremy,
I am taking teenagers from london, I think living in a regional area will just about finish them off, that is part of the problem!
Tara
You are likely going to have to be flexible if you want to migrate.

Maybe look at STNI or points tested options, but if you've moved into management then your case becomes complex in terms of meeting DIMIA general skilled requirements and you'd need professional advice.

Employer nomination is likely an easier option, provided you find that employer. Which is where flexibility comes in.

Jeremy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you
Tara
Larissa is a UK teacher living in WA, she has posted about it, try a search on her posts? might be worthwhile.

I'd be very surpised if a state the size of WA did not have some way of making sure its rural and regional posts were filled (like country service) WA is huge.

If you only want to work for a couple of years, plenty of teachers have got work in queenland on supply and contract basis.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:30 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you
Tara
Hi, a friend of ours went over to Brisbane last year, she was a primary school teacher over here but went into managment (LEA) for special needs children, she only just managed to get through the skills assesment as she had been out of teaching for 10 months. She has been there since last September and is still on temporary placement at whatever school the education authority (or what ever it is over there) decides to send her to.

Jon
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tinaj is on the Sunshine Coast and got teaching posts fairly soon after starting to apply. Her kids love it up theretoo.
Shes not on the board very often now, but if you pm or email her I'm sure she can give you some useful info about Qld teaching.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone
Tara
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are likely going to have to be flexible if you want to migrate.

Maybe look at STNI or points tested options, but if you've moved into management then your case becomes complex in terms of meeting DIMIA general skilled requirements and you'd need professional advice.

Employer nomination is likely an easier option, provided you find that employer. Which is where flexibility comes in.

Jeremy
Jeremy
thank you, we have our visa, we are now at the stage of deciding where
to settle.
Tara
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:32 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeremy
to settle.
Tara
Your original question - it seems from my contacts that WA is crying out for teachers. I've heard this from 3 (unconnected) sources now. You will need to be flexible but given the huge amount of non-governmental schools there I doubt that you would have to work in remote areas.

Registering with WACOT is pre-requisite though and depending on your moving date I would start the ball rolling soon. It will cost you around £70-80 for registration plus the usual balls ache of a form filling session.

The only place I've been to which anywhere equals Australia for form filling is India. But at least there it was a hangover from the raj and kept people in menial jobs. Not sure how Australia can justify it!
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy
to settle.
Tara
My apologies - missed your signature. If you have your visa then you still usually need to be flexible to find good work (probably not to the same degree, though).

Have you looked at the non government schools?

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
My apologies - missed your signature. If you have your visa then you still usually need to be flexible to find good work (probably not to the same degree, though).

Have you looked at the non government schools?

Jeremy
Jeremy

I have looked at the non government schools, in the Sunshine Coast there seems to be only a few (I am comparing to London).

Less schools = less job opportunities.

This is why we are perhaps looking at NSW now. My heart is telling me Sunshine Coast and my head is telling me Sydney!

My next job is to email my CV to the schools that are private.

Thank you for your reply
Tara
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Ali,
I contacted the Queensland Education Dept. a while ago and they sent me a load of info. Have you contacted them for advice? They were helpful.
CAZ