Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching In Australia

Teaching In Australia

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

AndyandSandra2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching In Australia

Hi, just joined this forum today to find out more about opportunities in Australia.
I am 38, teach science in the UK (Secondary) as well as music/keyboards. I'd be really grateful for any info on finding work as a teacher especially Queensland area.
My wife is totally convinced and we have two young children (3 & 6). At the moment my points add up to 105 (require 120) but I understand that teachers are in demand and there may be other ways of qualifying (e.g. employee sponsorship)

Thanks in advance for all replies
Andy & Sandra
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Teaching In Australia

Hi, my name's Jenny. I don't know much about teaching in aus, but have just got a part time job as a teaching assistant at college, and thought i'd hop on board this post. Was wondering if i got trained up to teach FE would I be classed as a teacher or lecturer?

Good luck to you, sorry for hoppin on your post!
Jen
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

TheBaillies will become famous soon enoughTheBaillies will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AndyandSandra2Oz
Hi, just joined this forum today to find out more about opportunities in Australia.
I am 38, teach science in the UK (Secondary) as well as music/keyboards. I'd be really grateful for any info on finding work as a teacher especially Queensland area.
My wife is totally convinced and we have two young children (3 & 6). At the moment my points add up to 105 (require 120) but I understand that teachers are in demand and there may be other ways of qualifying (e.g. employee sponsorship)

Andy & Sandra
Hi,
My husband is a maths teacher (secondary) in Scotland and he only put a post on last week about finding work as a teacher in Brisbane. I think he got some informative replies so you could search for his post in the barbie forum.

Eileen x
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

AndyandSandra2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheBaillies
Hi,
My husband is a maths teacher (secondary) in Scotland and he only put a post on last week about finding work as a teacher in Brisbane. I think he got some informative replies so you could search for his post in the barbie forum.

Eileen x
Thanks for the replies. Phil & Eileen, did you meet the points criteria or another method? By the way, East Kilbride eh! I spent most of the summer working at M&S there with a team installing new escalators!!! No offence, but I can imagine why you would want to move away from EK. Best wishes & thanks for any further info you can send my way!
Andy
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Andy & Sandra
If you have someone to sponsor you! A relative then that would get you the required extra points, think you'll struggle to get an employer to sponsor you!

There's quite a few posts on this issue kicking about on the site

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Andy & Sandra
Quite a few points off there. What does your wife do? Does she have any formal training or qualifications?

Alternatively, have a look at Victoria. They were offering state sponsorship for teachers last year. If so, then you could well be able to gain an STNI nomination for moving to Victoria as a teacher. It would mean that you were tied into living in Vic for a couple of years however.

I'm not sure if QLD are offering STNI nominations for teaching.

Each state will have its own immigration department, and they will have a list of what STNI occupations they are looking for.

S
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of teaching qualifications have you got? Not all UK teaching qualifications are recognised in Australia.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi,

Iam a UK teacher moved to WA last November.

WA will give teachers a job in a remote area of the state, and if they work for 2 years the deal is that they sponsor you for permanent residency.

Look at their website - remote means remote! ie could be hours from the nearest shop. Not to be taken lightly!

Gemma
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Gemma,

Read the bit on the website about perm. position after 2 years but not about the Perm. Residency.

Do you have a link to the specific page?

Bezza
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Quite a few points off there. What does your wife do? Does she have any formal training or qualifications?

Alternatively, have a look at Victoria. They were offering state sponsorship for teachers last year. If so, then you could well be able to gain an STNI nomination for moving to Victoria as a teacher. It would mean that you were tied into living in Vic for a couple of years however.

I'm not sure if QLD are offering STNI nominations for teaching.

Each state will have its own immigration department, and they will have a list of what STNI occupations they are looking for.

S
Victoria will sponser physics teachers for STNI, but not biology or chemistry. And i think you need 110 points for this visa, so see if you can find another 5 somewhere. What does your wife do, could she get some points?

I've never heard of an individual school sponsering anyone, sorry.

For WA- check the points requirments before you go for this, they will sponser you after 2 years, but only if at that point you have the required points. If not then you can stay for up to 4 years on a temp visa but then have to go home.