Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Australia

Teaching in Australia

Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:03 am
Just Joined

clairerutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia

Just wondering if someone can give me some help/advice. I have a friend who lives in Australia and she has invited me to go and live with her next year. She has also volunteered to sponsor me. I have just qualified as a primary school teacher and intend to do my induction year here in England but I was wondering how I can get into the teaching profession in Australia and if it would be possible to do my induction year over there????
Its all a bit confusing so I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanx Claire
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by clairerutter
Just wondering if someone can give me some help/advice. I have a friend who lives in Australia and she has invited me to go and live with her next year. She has also volunteered to sponsor me. I have just qualified as a primary school teacher and intend to do my induction year here in England but I was wondering how I can get into the teaching profession in Australia and if it would be possible to do my induction year over there????
Its all a bit confusing so I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanx Claire
To teach out here you would have to get PR or a Working Holiday Visa. I am not sure of the rules on WHVisas but I know the teaching application rules for QLD!

To register in Queensland as a teacher you will need at least a years teaching experience in the Uk before they would register you, and must have a 4 year teaching degree. You will need to bring copies of everything, plus letters from employers etc. It would be pretty taxing on you to come straight out here and teach with no experience as things are different.

For PR ( permanent residency) you would need 3 or 4 years post-grad teaching experience and would have to apply for the visa well in advance.

For QLD board of teachers go to www.btr.qld.edu.au

Out here, as a new teacher, you would have to do supply, which is not ideal, or else they will put you in a school that could be in the outback somewhere!
Old Aug 21st 2004, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

clairerutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by tinaj
To teach out here you would have to get PR or a Working Holiday Visa. I am not sure of the rules on WHVisas but I know the teaching application rules for QLD!

To register in Queensland as a teacher you will need at least a years teaching experience in the Uk before they would register you, and must have a 4 year teaching degree. You will need to bring copies of everything, plus letters from employers etc. It would be pretty taxing on you to come straight out here and teach with no experience as things are different.

For PR ( permanent residency) you would need 3 or 4 years post-grad teaching experience and would have to apply for the visa well in advance.

For QLD board of teachers go to www.btr.qld.edu.au

Out here, as a new teacher, you would have to do supply, which is not ideal, or else they will put you in a school that could be in the outback somewhere!
Thank you for that, it sounds a lot more difficult than I had thought. Best start doing my research.
Thanx again
Claire