Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

teaching in australia

teaching in australia

Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:46 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

yup FBT but that is an employers tax not employees - unless they want to pass on the impact to the employee you have no impact.

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:46 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

That's too simplistic - just like it would be if I said that GST in Australia is 10% and VAT in the UK is 17.5%. Or that petrol is less than a $ a litre in Australia and 75p a litre in the UK.

It is better to look at the overall burden of taxation on the average earner - I don't have these figures to hand but I wouldn't expect the figures to be significantly different between the two countries.

Best regards.

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Just looked UK tax rates , I think I know where I will be better off.

INCOME TAX

2001/02
2000/01

ie year ended 5 April 2002 ie year ended 5 April 2001
Starting rate band to £1,880 £1,520
Tax rate 10% 10%
Basic rate band - next £ 27,520 £26,880
Normal rate 22% 22%
Savings income rate 20% 20%
Higher rate band – over £29,400 £28,400
Tax rate 40% 40%

UK dividend income taxed at 10% (32.5% where dividends fall into higher rate band).

Allowances that Reduce Taxable Income

2001/02
2000/01

Personal allowance (PA) - under 65 £4,535 £4,385
- 65 to 74 £5,990 £5,790
- 75 and over £6,260 £6,050

Allowances that Reduce Tax

Married couple's allowance (MCA)

Tax reduction - 65 to 74 £536.50 £518.50
- 75 and over £543.50 £525.50

'Rent a Room' exempt on gross annual rent £4,250 £4,250
Construction Industry Scheme deduction rate 18% 18%

'Rent a Room' exempt on gross annual rent £4,250 £4,250
Construction Industry Scheme deduction rate 18% 23%

Notes
1. Ages are as at the end of the tax year. Ages for MCA relate to the elder spouse. For 2001/02, MCA is available only to couples where at least one was aged 65 or over on 5 April 2002.

2. The age-related allowances are progressively withdrawn from people with income exceeding £17,600 (2000/01 - £17,000) reducing first PA and then MCA (for MCA only the husband's income is considered). PA cannot fall below £4,535 (2000/01 - £4,385) and MCA tax reduction cannot fall below £207 (2000/01 - £200).
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
PB - you forgot National Insurance payments - these can add up to 11% on each of the brackets you mentioned - I know there is a ceiling to National Insurance. Please stop quoting selective facts you are not making the picture clear. Also you have not mentioned that the UK has further employee taxation in the UK on expenses and benefits eg cars which is not applicable here.

Regards
Correct in the same way you have not quoted all Aussie taxes.The National insurance is just that gives benifits you would have to pay for here.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:37 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett
That's too simplistic - just like it would be if I said that GST in Australia is 10% and VAT in the UK is 17.5%. Or that petrol is less than a $ a litre in Australia and 75p a litre in the UK.

It is better to look at the overall burden of taxation on the average earner - I don't have these figures to hand but I wouldn't expect the figures to be significantly different between the two countries.

Best regards.
Australian taxes are the second highest in the world behind Ireland, the petrol thing looks good until you work out you travel farther here and engines are bigger on most cars.
There loads of things in Australia that are double taxed GST plus other bull taxes , beer and wine to name a few.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:47 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Australia taxes are the second highest in the world behind Ireland, the petrol thing looks good until you work out you travel farther here and engines are bigger on most cars.
There loads of things in Australia that are double taxed GST plus other bull taxes , beer and wine to name a few.
Lucky then that we all get paid sod all wages in Aus so we don't have to pay the higher rate brackets and can't afford to buy luxuries like beer and wine so double taxation becomes a non issue. no worries!

We don't need to stretch ourselves at work as we are all already much smarter than the thick aussies - so in total PB I am coming to the land of plenty - your good advice is much appreciated

You can really brighten my day - seriously I get such a laugh both from you and the people who rise to your bait.

You even caught me cause I am a payroll person and bothered to respond to a PB posting!

Have fun
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:52 am
Banned

Originally posted by Sandra
Lucky then that we all get paid sod all wages in Aus so we don't have to pay the higher rate brackets and can't afford to buy luxuries like beer and wine so double taxation becomes a non issue. no worries!

We don't need to stretch ourselves at work as we are all already much smarter than the thick aussies - so in total PB I am coming to the land of plenty - your good advice is much appreciated

You can really brighten my day - seriously I get such a laugh both from you and the people who rise to your bait.

You even caught me cause I am a payroll person and bothered to respond to a PB posting!

Have fun
Well its keeps me busy ,saying that just been told to gear up lots of working coming in , bleeders want me to do over time , no rest for the wicked.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 31st 2002 at 2:58 am.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:27 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Thanks a lot for the advice...to answer your question, yes, kids are kids the world over and i don't expect very different...in fact given that the school in which I work has a definite drive towards the importance of behavior and manners, i probably expect them to be a lot worse! i have to look at the bigger picture of my job combined with my husbands and the quality of life that we have now...i refuse to believe that as a teacher in australia i would start teaching at 8 a.m. and finish at 4p.m. (not counting the two nights we have meetings until 5.30p.m.) together with going home ( a five minute commute!) and then working until 7p.m. four nights a week together with working for a minimum of one afternoon a weekend. This is my week as a teacher in the UK...and i'm not even mentioning report writing time and other times of the year when the workload increases. In fact being realistic i often work until 11 p.m. marking books and planning lessons. I am responsible for English across my school and this requires me to produce 180 lesson plans (which are between 1 and 2 pages long in length and typed!) every six weeks. These have to be altered significantly and cannot remain the same from year to year. The teaching is the part of my job which I love and i don't see that changing regardless of the country which i am resident in! I have been offered the post of Deputy Head in my school and turned it down as the increase in workload for the tiny increase in pay would simply not be worth it! The quality of life has to be better elsewhere...and I look forward to finding it in Australia. The move is what we both want and i think we'll have a good life in Australia and can't wait!!!!
Susan

One of my Australian colleagues here (Sydney) is an accountant and his Australian wife a teacher and they are off the UK for a few years, or maybe longer as they are totally fed up with working life here. The conversation I had with his wife was pretty much equal and opposite of what you are saying. She was moaning about how terrible it is to be a teacher here and she refused to believe that it could be any worse in the UK! I went out with a teacher for several years in the UK and know how stressful and hard work it is. It always seemed a travesty that we both had similar qualifications but as an accountant I was paid triple what she was paid. But thats the way it is, here as well as in the UK - please prepare yourself for more of the same and stop refusing to believe!! Come here for a different experience but don't come here expecting work to be sweetness and light, it aint gonna happen.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:16 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... maybe not.

Here's a link to a table (albeit 1999 figures) showing taxes as a percentage of GDP:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa...%5Ctax_gdp.PDF

Australia => 30.6%
UK => 36.3%

And the UK's tax burden is acknowledged as increasing as New Labour racks up the stealth taxes.

Here's another link to a recent article comparing Australia with Canada in the same regard:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/pdf/mintz.pdf

Best regards.

Australian taxes are the second highest in the world behind Ireland, the petrol thing looks good until you work out you travel farther here and engines are bigger on most cars.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:21 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hmmm ... maybe not.

Here's a link to a table (albeit 1999 figures) showing taxes as a percentage of GDP:

Australia => 30.6%
UK => 36.3%

And the UK's tax burden is acknowledged as increasing as New Labour racks up the stealth taxes.

Here's another link to a recent article comparing Australia with Canada in the same regard:

Best regards.

Alan, no time to look but do you think this inlcudes "levies" as well as "taxes"? Australia infamous for not calling a tax a tax and politicans hiding behind the title "levy". For example, "levies" on flight tickets, "levies" on medicare, "levies" on insurance premiums etc etc etc....
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:30 am
Migration Agent

Ditto the UK, Herman, with children's tax credits, etc a shift from one aspect of Government spending to another. And is National Insurance treated as a tax in the UK? I don't think so, as the UK Government wouldn't have you believing that - and NI is a significant cost for employees and employers.

Governments on both sides of the world seem to be into spinning the figures these days (sayeth the cynic ...). Then again we're both accountants so I guess we shouldn't be too ready to criticise ... :-))

Hands up, I'm not sure about how these stats are compiled, but one would hope for some kind of comparability.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Herman
Alan, no time to look but do you think this inlcudes "levies" as well as "taxes"? Australia infamous for not calling a tax a tax and politicans hiding behind the title "levy". For example, "levies" on flight tickets, "levies" on medicare, "levies" on insurance premiums etc etc etc....
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:31 am
Banned

Hmmm ... maybe not.

Australia => 30.6%
UK => 36.3%

Best regards.

Good try Al but that is not personal tax , and you missed out the fact Australia works on user pays where as UK gives more back in benefits to all the people who pay in . Companies UK bare more of the tax burden unlike here where the personal tax rate hammers people.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:33 am
Migration Agent

Sounds like you need some personal tax planning PB ... a good Family Trust and you might be looking at a top rate of personal tax of 30% ...

Best regards.

Good try Al but that is not personal tax , and you missed out the fact Australia works on user pays where as UK gives more back in benefits to all the people who pay in . Companies UK bare more of the tax burden unlike here where the personal tax rate hammers people.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:35 am
Banned

Ditto the UK, Herman, with children's tax credits, etc a shift from one aspect of Government spending to another. And is National Insurance treated as a tax in the UK? I don't think so, as the UK Government wouldn't have you believing that - and NI is a significant cost for employees and employers.

Best regards.
NI gives benefits reguarding free health care, national pension and unemployment payments , most of which are either means tested or only partly paid in Australia.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:37 am
Banned

Sounds like you need some personal tax planning PB ... a good Family Trust and you might be looking at a top rate of personal tax of 30% ...

Best regards.
Sounds like the kind of thing the tax office are having ago at clamping down on, thanks to Mr I am a greedy bastard Packer?
Old Oct 31st 2002, 3:46 am
Migration Agent

No it doesn't ... you don't need to pay any NI contributions to be eligible for free health care in the UK. The State Pension is worth a pittance, as is Unemployment Benefit, and both are taxable in any event.

It might be claimed that NI contributions fund these Government costs, but as most know NI is a tax in all but name and doesn't lead to any meaningful benefits at all.

Best regards.

NI gives benefits reguarding free health care, national pension and unemployment payments , most of which are either means tested or only partly paid in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.