Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching assistants

Teaching assistants

Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

dazandleesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching assistants

Hi, Finally got the go ahead for medicals only took 3 years!!!!!
I am hoping to have finished my course before we go to Perth, do the schools have teaching assitant like we do????
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Leesa
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching assistants

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/The%20Fac...anzsco=422116A
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Teacher aides are quite a different kettle of fish. Usually no qualifications required except a current first aid certificate and clean police record. Jobs in very high demand from mums who want school conditions, low paid and unpredictable - you may be lucky and get a short term contract but long term permanent employment is unlikely.

Some states have cert iii and iv for integration aides supporting kids with significant impairments but they arent mandatory in most states.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Jobs in very high demand from mums who want school conditions, low paid and unpredictable - you may be lucky and get a short term contract but long term permanent employment is unlikely.

Quoll - I agree with you in part. We call them SSO's over here in SA but my friends one and she's got a permanent contract having only been working there for a couple of years, no previous experience etc.

From what I can understand - the department (of education) will have a set no of temp and perm places each year and once you get a permanent contract you're set. My friend then has to apply for what hours she wants each school year, this varies on budgets, no of kids that need assistance etc. What's good is she can fill in any spare gaps with time in the printing office, front reception etc. Oh and I get the impression pay is ok too.

Perhaps it varies state to state or by expectation - certainly I don't think it's much different from teaching assistants in the UK!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Im in WA and hubby a primary teacher.
All the teaching assistants in our town have Aussie qualification. (Short course at TAFE).

Also think its oversubsribed, basically everyone has done the course so getting a permanent job as a teaching assistant will not be as easy as most people think. You certainly will not get one without a qualification.

Gems
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Jobs in very high demand from mums who want school conditions, low paid and unpredictable - you may be lucky and get a short term contract but long term permanent employment is unlikely.
Yes, it's about who you know.

I know a uni student who has a job paying $23/hour but her dad is the principal.

Another possibility. Lots of opportunities in childcare and feds will pay for your course at dip and adv dip level. Pay is about $22/hr for dip qualified.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:03 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Melbourne and my friend is in Perth.
Here we are Education Aides.
I am at a great school and feel very valued. We have both skilled aides and mums. The applications are very oversubscribed and here we have to meet 5 or 6 criteria. My job had 54 applications!
The advertised roles here are as ES1-1 or ES1-2 if you are lucky. In Perth my friend works in a base attached to the mainstream school and has children with ASD. She is ES3!!! She gets about $100 a week more than I do. An ES2-3 here are speech pathologists or social workers.
In Melbourne there is a website for jobs search google for recruitment online
My job is on there we are reapplying for our own jobs so be aware not every job is as adverised...
J x
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:33 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I/am was a level 3 special needs EA. (in Perth)

I am currently seconded to a behaviour centre till the end of the year which is a totally different role

Your best bet is to go around the schools that you are prepared to travel to and put your name on their relief list

They get reliefs in to cover absences (unlike the UK) etc

if they like you then they will use you on a regular basis... you have to put your name back in the list every term/year

Then if the position is vacant they will advertise it on the gov job site

http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au/

you have to write a selection criteria and forfill all of them to secure an interview (hence getting your name on the relief list to get experience to use on selection criteria)

any thing else i can help with PM me
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Jiffy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,back in the uk I was a NNEB with a Diploma in Childcare & Education and worked for 7years in a special needs department of a main stream comprehensive school. I have been in Perth for almost 9 weeks but have hit a brick wall. I have taken my CV around to schools but I need a police check and a working with childrens card but can`t get these without being in a school!! HELP!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jiffy 1
Hi,back in the uk I was a NNEB with a Diploma in Childcare & Education and worked for 7years in a special needs department of a main stream comprehensive school. I have been in Perth for almost 9 weeks but have hit a brick wall. I have taken my CV around to schools but I need a police check and a working with childrens card but can`t get these without being in a school!! HELP!!!!!
I've got a WCC and police clearance card, and I don't work in a school. Anyone can apply.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Yep thats what I need how did you go about getting them?
Thanks
Amanda
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jiffy 1
Yep thats what I need how did you go about getting them?
Thanks
Amanda
The WCCC is from Australia Post, info here: http://www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au/checkwwc

National Police Clearance:
http://www.police.wa.gov.au/OurServi...5/Default.aspx

Down the bottom of the screen is a link "how to apply".

Didn't take too long, as far as I remember, WCCC was less than 2 weeks, I think, police one longer, about 3-4 weeks.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you will give it a go tomorrow
Amanda