Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teachers heading to WA

Teachers heading to WA

Old Nov 1st 2003, 11:36 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teachers heading to WA

Just to inform you there are several teachers positions advertised in todays paper

www.thewest.com.au
Old Nov 1st 2003, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teachers heading to WA

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Just to inform you there are several teachers positions advertised in todays paper

www.thewest.com.au
Ta Donna - encouraging to see there's something - I guess as well that there will be more nearer to Christmas as the school year starts in January.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:38 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

hI Jirrupin,
what is teaching like in Oz?

My wife is a supply teacher in the UK. I'm just interested in seeing if she would like it in OZ.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by markeh
hI Jirrupin,
what is teaching like in Oz?

My wife is a supply teacher in the UK. I'm just interested in seeing if she would like it in OZ.

Bye
Markeh
saw this post with interest as i am a teacher(primary) and heading for adelaide so interested in any info.................
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:28 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
saw this post with interest as i am a teacher(primary) and heading for adelaide so interested in any info.................
I am not a teacher, but I know someone was recently asking about vacancies and there have been only a few advertised in the paper until this week. So I thought I would post it so they could them up.

I am not aware of anyone teaching over here that posts regularly but if you do a search you may find different. I think I read something on the forum recently about newly qualified teachers and immigrants teachers may have to do a couple of years in the smaller country towns before getting a position in one of the cities. But I could be wrong.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:08 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

hi,
seen a couple of posts on teaching of late and thought i would share what information i have been able to find out on teaching downunder:

anone with a UK B Ed. or PGCE can teach in Australia. in WA the proviso is that you follow a four day course on the Oz curriculum spread over 4 consecutive Friday's.

i will be starting a UK PGCE in September 2004 and we will emigrate as soon as i finish. Again, unlike the UK where you have to do another year to fully qualify following your post-grad, the PGCE is of a higher standard than the equivalent Australian qualification and involves more actual teaching. This means a UK newly qualified teacher can work in Australia at the same standard as an Australian teacher.

Oz has a 'country service rule', which means that in order to gain permanency in a city (i.e. a permanent job contract) all teachers need to do one academic year of country service. without this, you can still teach in urban/suburban schools, but only as a supply teacher.

the country service thing is not as bad as it seems as anywhere outside of the metropolitan area is classified as 'country'. so you might end up only half-an hour or an hour from the CBD.

got all this info from the dept of education in perth and through a teacher contact i have, so its credible.

hope this is of help to someone...
flying dutchman
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:31 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi flying dutchman,

thanks for the info. It will be of use to my wife.
I likethe idead of being in the countryside.

Bye
Markeh
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:41 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flying dutchman

Thanks for the info, it's just what I was looking for.

I am currently doing a BSc Hons in Computing (graduating June 2004) and I will also be starting my PGCE in September 2004. I am doing a SCITT PGCE and will be based in the southend area. Where are you doing yours?

Do you know if the SCITT PGCE, which includes 18 weeks teaching practice plus 3 days a week in an allocated home school for the duration of the course, is sufficient for Immigration purposes or is it necessary to do a year before you apply as a teacher for skilled migration.

I intend to do my induction year here but I would like to apply as soon as I graduate and continue with my induct while waiting for PR to come through.

Many Thanks
ACE

Last edited by ACE; Mar 24th 2004 at 4:02 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by flying dutchman
hi,
seen a couple of posts on teaching of late and thought i would share what information i have been able to find out on teaching downunder:

anone with a UK B Ed. or PGCE can teach in Australia. in WA the proviso is that you follow a four day course on the Oz curriculum spread over 4 consecutive Friday's.

i will be starting a UK PGCE in September 2004 and we will emigrate as soon as i finish. Again, unlike the UK where you have to do another year to fully qualify following your post-grad, the PGCE is of a higher standard than the equivalent Australian qualification and involves more actual teaching. This means a UK newly qualified teacher can work in Australia at the same standard as an Australian teacher.

Oz has a 'country service rule', which means that in order to gain permanency in a city (i.e. a permanent job contract) all teachers need to do one academic year of country service. without this, you can still teach in urban/suburban schools, but only as a supply teacher.

the country service thing is not as bad as it seems as anywhere outside of the metropolitan area is classified as 'country'. so you might end up only half-an hour or an hour from the CBD.

got all this info from the dept of education in perth and through a teacher contact i have, so its credible.

flying dutchman
Hiya Flying dutchman
Are you doing your PGCE at Soton uni? Just asking coz thats where I did mine! Its a really hectic course... but you probably know that already!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Darren1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin

www.thewest.com.au

Hello, If you need 3 years teaching experience for your visa points - I assume your NQT year DOES count towards this.

Can you help,

D
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by flying dutchman
hi,

flying dutchman

Hi FD

My partner is a teacher and we have looked into this. I have to say although the 'spend 2 years in the outback' scenario has been mentioned in posts on here, none of the documentation on the website confirms that you are required to do 2 yrs service in the country. At the end of the day not everyone's situation is such that this is possible.

What I did see was that once you had done 2 years in a country post OR 3 years in a metropolitan post, then you could apply for permanency. However my impression was not that not having permenancy meant that you were a supply teacher, rather that you were on fixed contracts for a year for example.

Dave
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Darren1971
Hello, If you need 3 years teaching experience for your visa points - I assume your NQT year DOES count towards this.

Can you help,

D
Yes, the NQT year does count. Sorry for taking ages to respond, took me a while to notice your question.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:38 pm
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point

In some states I believe you have to apply for permission to teach which I have heard can take up to 4 months to get.

Does anyone know if this is so in Aus. Have looked at the Perth Ed Authority web site but it says nothing about this. E mailed them twice and no response.

Thanks

Laura
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:39 pm
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, very tired writing reports night after night at the mo.

I meant is this so in Perth not Aus.

Laura
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Darren1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Larissa, thanks for the reply. I assumed so but wanrted to check. Thanks again.

D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.