Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Can I ask if anyone shipped food stuffs or booze in their container... I know it all has to be declared and duty paid on the booze... but for the sake of our young children... and my sanity..I'd like to send over some UK foods until I find an Oz equivalent..

With 2 little ones I don't want to use up valuable luggage space when we fly.

thanks

julie
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Can I ask if anyone shipped food stuffs or booze in their container... I know it all has to be declared and duty paid on the booze... but for the sake of our young children... and my sanity..I'd like to send over some UK foods until I find an Oz equivalent..

thanks

julie
I really just wouldn't risk it. If they think you have declared 3 items then what else have you got?

I took a small jar of marmite in my hand luggage just so I could go through the red channel and not queue with the masses of green channel people - this was as advised by this forum Whizzed through. Mind you we were first off the plane and luggage (all 10 bags) came out first too, but would have worked for us better last time.

If you want to - do it, but IMO it's not worth it.

BTW - customs seized our lawnmower and golf bag. Apparently it's standard here, according to our removers anyway. Bit peed off as both had been steam cleaned. Had to pay $90 to get them back and sign a form saying I knew they would most likely be damaged and tough ****.

My advice is do everything by the book.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:30 pm
Merlot

Smile Re: Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I really just wouldn't risk it. If they think you have declared 3 items then what else have you got?

I took a small jar of marmite in my hand luggage just so I could go through the red channel and not queue with the masses of green channel people - this was as advised by this forum Whizzed through. Mind you we were first off the plane and luggage (all 10 bags) came out first too, but would have worked for us better last time.

If you want to - do it, but IMO it's not worth it.

BTW - customs seized our lawnmower and golf bag. Apparently it's standard here, according to our removers anyway. Bit peed off as both had been steam cleaned. Had to pay $90 to get them back and sign a form saying I knew they would most likely be damaged and tough ****.

My advice is do everything by the book.
Not sure if the customs are still strict on the "beef" bit, when the mad cow thing was on a few years back we couldn't get bovril or oxo cubes for a while in Oz.

I hate to speak supermarkets again for the fear of war but there are lots of known brands in Oz which the kids will recognise so maybe a fun few hours for them discovering their new surrounds and foods at the local Woolworths or Coles.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks.. we have only had PSS out for a quote so far, but they didn't seem to think shipping our half full bottles of spirits was a problem.. take your point on the bisto and marmite though!!

thanks again
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Marmite conatins NO beef whatsoever, it's made of yeast extract! Plus it's available here in small jars, for about $3.35 (Coles) under the label of Our Mate as there is an Aussie "Marmite" which tastes nothing like the real stuff.

I know someone who packed a box of food stuffs - mainly tins though & just declared the whole box. Take a look on the Aquis website first though to see what is & isn't allowed in.

A friend sent me a bar of my fav soap the other week, Red Rooster from Lush. It was confiscated as had dried plant material in. I had the choice of having it returned to the UK for $42 or destroyed for $0. You can guess which option I went for!

Loopy without Red Rooster
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loopy
Marmite conatins NO beef whatsoever, it's made of yeast extract! Plus it's available here in small jars, for about $3.35 (Coles) under the label of Our Mate as there is an Aussie "Marmite" which tastes nothing like the real stuff.

I know someone who packed a box of food stuffs - mainly tins though & just declared the whole box. Take a look on the Aquis website first though to see what is & isn't allowed in.

A friend sent me a bar of my fav soap the other week, Red Rooster from Lush. It was confiscated as had dried plant material in. I had the choice of having it returned to the UK for $42 or destroyed for $0. You can guess which option I went for!

Loopy without Red Rooster
Don't you have Lush in Perth?

I dont remember Red Rooster but most of the other stuff in our Lush is the same as in the UK.

Have you checked if they make it here?
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:15 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go Loopy, Red Rooster $6.95

http://www.lush.com.au/catalog/produ...oducts_id=8000

Just order it & they will send it to you .
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

I assume it's not the same as this Red Rooster http://www.redrooster.com.au/

Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I assume it's not the same as this Red Rooster http://www.redrooster.com.au/
LOL, no, not as greasy .

Would get to you in better shape too I imagine .
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:03 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

There's a lush at Garden City in Booragoon for that instant snifftastic experience
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:45 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing I am having problems with is gravy, my 6 year loves gravy...so when I saw bisto in coles I got some...it is discusting...so I was thinking about asking someone to send me some from the UK or bring some with them(jjhm!!) is there anywhere here I can get decent gravy and if not will it be ok to get some sent...usually used bisto gravy granules when we were in the UK.

spalens wife
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
Only thing I am having problems with is gravy, my 6 year loves gravy...so when I saw bisto in coles I got some...it is discusting...so I was thinking about asking someone to send me some from the UK or bring some with them(jjhm!!) is there anywhere here I can get decent gravy and if not will it be ok to get some sent...usually used bisto gravy granules when we were in the UK.

spalens wife
Have you tried Gravox Traditional Powder or even Gravox Supreme.

Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:05 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM

thanks

julie

pg tips.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you tried Gravox Traditional Powder or even Gravox Supreme.
We use Gravox - the dogs like it over their biscuits !
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:05 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I got my cousin to bring over 4 large tins of Bisto Powder when he was visiting! the Bisto here is disgusting,as is Gravox, but its more to do with what you are used to
The Greens gravy granules are not too bad & at the end of the day you either get used to the different tastes or do without!!

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.