Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taxi to airport - child seat?

Taxi to airport - child seat?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Taxi to airport - child seat?

We're planning to fly out on 14.10.09, but I'm having trouble finding a taxi service that is willing to provide a child car seat for the trip from Walsall to Heathrow. I know they're not compulsory in taxis, but it will be necessary for the distance we're travelling (not to mention the basic safety issue).

The irony is that we do have a car seat we could use, but my wife wants to know what would we do with it at the other end, and isn't happy with my suggestion that we just find a place to dump it.

Anyone else been in this predicament?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taxi to airport - child seat?

I think your only solution would be to dump it although probably not a good idea at the airport as it will cause a security alert! May be ask the taxi driver to get rid for you?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:03 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

You could try being cheeky daft and asking a car hire company in your area if you could hire one and then return it to their Heathrow office.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

err.. why not bring it and use it here ?
shouldn't add to the luggage limits (?)
.. and if it's ISOFIX you could auction it here for loads of money
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_m67
err.. why not bring it and use it here ?
shouldn't add to the luggage limits (?)
.. and if it's ISOFIX you could auction it here for loads of money
Uk made car seats arent legal here as far as I know.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Uk made car seats arent legal here as far as I know.

yep, i'm aware of that**, however they are highly prized and no doubt safer (in my opinion) - hence the auction comment

**indeed they are defo not legal without an Aust. ADR approval (now you know )
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Are UK booster seats legal in Oz?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Taxi to airport - child seat?

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Are UK booster seats legal in Oz?
As far as we've been able to learn, the answer is "No." I have yet to see any car seat with an international standard that is accepted by both countries.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:07 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
We're planning to fly out on 14.10.09, but I'm having trouble finding a taxi service that is willing to provide a child car seat for the trip from Walsall to Heathrow. I know they're not compulsory in taxis, but it will be necessary for the distance we're travelling (not to mention the basic safety issue).

The irony is that we do have a car seat we could use, but my wife wants to know what would we do with it at the other end, and isn't happy with my suggestion that we just find a place to dump it.

Anyone else been in this predicament?
This any good for this end at least.

Cooler
http://www.goldbug.eu/product.asp?st...AT_ID=&P_ID=28
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Taxi to airport - child seat?

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
This any good for this end at least.

Cooler
http://www.goldbug.eu/product.asp?st...AT_ID=&P_ID=28
Thanks for the recommendation. At this rate I reckon we'll just take our car seat in the taxi and slip the driver a fiver for taking it off our hands.

We've got an Aussie-approved pram and car seat waiting for us at the other end.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We got a car seat that was approved for air travel (cost about 45 quid from Halfords) and used that in the car to the airport and then on the aircraft. We also bought a handle and wheel thingy that we could attach it to and our son then sat in the car seat through the airport etc. Made it all very easy and we didn't need a buggy.

It is now sitting in our garage but it was money well spent in our case (when you consider how much the whole emigration cost!). The bonus was that our son slept for the night sectors and was very relaxed. He was too big at 7 months for a bassinet so we would have had to hold him - not a pleasant thought!

I know we probably won't use it again but as I said, a small price in the great scheme of things and made our trip go smoothly. At some points in the airport, my 4 year old sat in it and my son went in a sling so we knew exactly where they were and had our hands free to carry our bags, laptop bag, change bag etc.......

Dumping it at the airport will be your only choice otherwise.......
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Taxi to airport - child seat?

We won't need it on the plane; they've booked a bassinet for us (she's less than 7 months).

I have a funny feeling that our car seat will be accidentally left behind in the child-changing facilities at Heathrow...
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

When we travelled over we had threee Car Seats that we used from Dudley to Gatwick. At Gatwick we found the cleaners and they disposed of them for Us. This was at the height of secrity so sniffer dogs climbed all over them as well. Most prob sold on as all were in good nick but we didn't care what they did with them. If you go to information when you arrive they will point you in the right direction or even page them for you.

Jane
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the existing one the the airport.

Take it to Australia.

Use it for a trip to the UK you might do when you have some extra Stampedes.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Taxi to airport - child seat?

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Hi There

When we travelled over we had threee Car Seats that we used from Dudley to Gatwick. At Gatwick we found the cleaners and they disposed of them for Us. This was at the height of secrity so sniffer dogs climbed all over them as well. Most prob sold on as all were in good nick but we didn't care what they did with them. If you go to information when you arrive they will point you in the right direction or even page them for you.

Jane
Brilliant, thanks!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Take the existing one the the airport.

Take it to Australia.

Use it for a trip to the UK you might do when you have some extra Stampedes.
We're trying to travel with as little as possible; we'll already have a pram and three pieces of cabin luggage, so I won't have a spare hand to carry an empty car seat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.