Taxation in Oz?

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Robinson Family is on a distinguished road
Default Taxation in Oz?

Hi all

This is my first attempt please excuse any mistakes.

Could anyone help me find out how the taxation system works in Oz?
I believe it is a lot higher, does that mean I am going to be a lot worse off????

Robinson Family
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taxation in Oz?

Originally posted by Robinson Family
Hi all

I believe it is a lot higher, does that mean I am going to be a lot worse off????

Robinson Family

Have a look on there website
http://www.ato.com.au/

I wouldn't agree that its a LOT higher although possibly more things get taxed over here like Superannuation, stamp duty on buying a house etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Robinsons

Don't just look at straight paypacket tax rates to make a true comparison.

UK VAT 17.5% / Aus GST 10.0%
UK tax on petrol very high / Aus low

Hope you get my drift ?

Look at total cost of living.
It is generally accepted that the cost of living in Aus is about the same as UK when you take into account earning an Aus wage to pay Aus costs / prices.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Robinson Family
Hi all

Robinson Family

Here are the new bands that have been released last month:

Earnings $
0- 6000 - 0%
6001-21 600 - 17%
21601-58 000 - 30%
58 001- 70 000 - 42%
>70 000 - 47%

The earnings have gone up a bit so we should be paying abit less tax this year. The bands work the same as in the Uk if you earnt $8000 for example you would pay no tax on $6000 and 17% on the other $2000 etc.

The tax on petrol is a lot less here even with the current rises I paid 89.5 c for a litre yesterday = 33p!

Last edited by tinaj; Jun 4th 2004 at 5:58 am.