Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taxation, Health insurance, family allowance

Taxation, Health insurance, family allowance

Old May 24th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Question Taxation, Health insurance, family allowance

Have tried searching the site but can't seem to find an answer to these questions in full.

1. Taxation: My wife is unlikely to be working (initially at least) - what can I do with her tax allowances (if anything?).

2. I have had a look at a private health insurance site which seems to suggest that the cost of private medical insurance would be in the region of $250-300? Does this seem about right? It seems very cheap to me (considering the cost in Germany). Is the cost of private medical a valid tax deduction?

3. Does family allowance exist in Australia? If so how much is it and is it means tested?

That'll do for starters.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxation, Health insurance, family allowance

Originally Posted by MartinH
Have tried searching the site but can't seem to find an answer to these questions in full.

1. Taxation: My wife is unlikely to be working (initially at least) - what can I do with her tax allowances (if anything?).

2. I have had a look at a private health insurance site which seems to suggest that the cost of private medical insurance would be in the region of $250-300? Does this seem about right? It seems very cheap to me (considering the cost in Germany). Is the cost of private medical a valid tax deduction?

3. Does family allowance exist in Australia? If so how much is it and is it means tested?

That'll do for starters.
Martin,

What type of visa will you be on ?
Permanent or temp ?
Old May 24th 2005, 12:39 pm
ABCDiamond

That'll do for starters.
1: Tax allowances - Not much can be done.
2: $250-$300 per month ? sounds as if it could be about right, but depends on cover and situation.
3: Yes, it varies and Yes. Have a look at http://www.abcdiamond.com/brisbane/viewtopic.php?t=54

Old May 24th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Martin,

What type of visa will you be on ?
Permanent or temp ?
I will initially be on a four-year temporary employer sponsored visa but during the time I am in Australia my employer will also be putting through an application for permanent residency.
Old May 24th 2005, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I will initially be on a four-year temporary employer sponsored visa but during the time I am in Australia my employer will also be putting through an application for permanent residency.
1. Health insurance will cost more until you obtain PR.
2. Check http://www.centrelink.gov.au for information on Family Tax Benefit but don't be surprised if you're entitled to nothing at all as a temporary resident.

Jeremy
Old May 25th 2005, 9:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Martin,
On a 457 temp visa your employer has a responsibility to meet the health requirements of you and any dependants.

Have a read of this thread and the link in it to another thread....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=457+visa

My sponsor took out visitors cover with Medibank covering the 4 of us. Cost AUD 311.40 per month. There is a more expensive plan with more bells and whistles.

I don't know if my employer was able to put it against tax or not.

As a temp visa holder you basically have no rights in Aus other than to pay full tax !

As a PR holder private health is cheaper and I believe the government gives you one third of the cost back. Of the fee that is, not any treatment costs.

Why won't your employer sponsor you for PR now under ENS / RSMS ?
Sponsorship visas do have a good level of priority so are processed quite quickly in comparison to skilled ones for example. Usually it's 3-6 months but we just got lucky and received ours in 33 days.

It sounds to me like your sponsor is shirking his responsibility on the health thing so what guarantees do you have he will support a PR application ? When you are over here working on the temp you are totally locked into him so maybe he will like that and decide not to progress a PR.

You may also like to search the forum about LAFHA = living away from home allowance. It's all about ligitimate tax "avoidance". There have been a few threads on that topic. I knew nothing about this until it came up on here and by that time it was too late for me.

Good luck.
Old May 25th 2005, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
Martin,
On a 457 temp visa your employer has a responsibility to meet the health requirements of you and any dependants.

Have a read of this thread and the link in it to another thread....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=457+visa

My sponsor took out visitors cover with Medibank covering the 4 of us. Cost AUD 311.40 per month. There is a more expensive plan with more bells and whistles.

I don't know if my employer was able to put it against tax or not.

As a temp visa holder you basically have no rights in Aus other than to pay full tax !

As a PR holder private health is cheaper and I believe the government gives you one third of the cost back. Of the fee that is, not any treatment costs.

Why won't your employer sponsor you for PR now under ENS / RSMS ?
Sponsorship visas do have a good level of priority so are processed quite quickly in comparison to skilled ones for example. Usually it's 3-6 months but we just got lucky and received ours in 33 days.

It sounds to me like your sponsor is shirking his responsibility on the health thing so what guarantees do you have he will support a PR application ? When you are over here working on the temp you are totally locked into him so maybe he will like that and decide not to progress a PR.

You may also like to search the forum about LAFHA = living away from home allowance. It's all about ligitimate tax "avoidance". There have been a few threads on that topic. I knew nothing about this until it came up on here and by that time it was too late for me.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.

They will certainly sponsor the PR as I have it in the written offer, I think the temp visa is just to get us going as we're likely to be moving relatively short terms.

In any event it sounds like it will be a lot cheaper than in Germany where we currently pay about €1,200 per month :scared: