Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which tax year is it??

which tax year is it??

Old May 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default which tax year is it??

Sorry for the extremely stupid question. I`m assuming we`re in the 2005 tax year (April 2005 - April 2006), but my wife disagrees so I`d rather make sure. I`m at work and she`s at home filling out our P60 stuff. I`d like to get some of my tax back from this April - June, especially as I just had my final pay and got stung for £1300 tax (!!). Normal pay, Overtime, holiday pay, and an unexpected 6% bonus.

Couldn`t find any reference to what tax year we are in on the net.

Damn I feel dumb right now
Old May 25th 2005, 9:05 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: which tax year is it??

Originally Posted by Stormz
Sorry for the extremely stupid question. I`m assuming we`re in the 2005 tax year (April 2005 - April 2006), but my wife disagrees so I`d rather make sure. I`m at work and she`s at home filling out our P60 stuff. I`d like to get some of my tax back from this April - June, especially as I just had my final pay and got stung for £1300 tax (!!). Normal pay, Overtime, holiday pay, and an unexpected 6% bonus.

I filled out my P85 today and put tax year ending March 2006.
Old May 25th 2005, 9:06 pm
Merlot

Just doing my first Self Assessment in the UK for tax year April 2004 to April 2005, so in the UK you are now in tax year April 2005 to April 2006.

If you are talking about your tax paid then to be refunded for April to June 2005, I understand you need to complete a P.85. The tax office website is now

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

The Oz tax year is July to June, this confuses me no end

Good luck
Merlot

Old May 25th 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi Gary,

We are in the 2006 tax year. Have you got the refund form. Here's the link in case you need it.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

Good luck for the flight etc, it was great to meet up with you.

Judith

Last edited by sonictigger; May 25th 2005 at 9:16 pm. Reason: Another Form
Old May 25th 2005, 9:14 pm
Merlot

Default Self Assessment

Sorry, subject change but has anyone ever had to to one of these and have you done it on-line?

I have cracked most of it BUT the mileage bit. I have had 3 different answers from the Inland Rev.

M

Old May 25th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: Self Assessment

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sorry, subject change but has anyone ever had to to one of these and have you done it on-line?

I have cracked most of it BUT the mileage bit. I have had 3 different answers from the Inland Rev.

M
Yep, had to do them for the last three years - not looked at this one yet...sadly not had to deal with mileage...is it the split between persoanl & business??

Once you get used to it, it's not too bad....honest... a few help!!
Old May 25th 2005, 9:18 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

EEEK!

Merlot you`re saying we`re in the 2005 tax year. Sonictigger you`re saying we`re in the 2006 tax year.

Gonna pickle my brain now......
Old May 25th 2005, 9:20 pm
Merlot

EEEK!

Merlot you`re saying we`re in the 2005 tax year. Sonictigger you`re saying we`re in the 2006 tax year.

We are, start April 2005, end April 2006.

This is what you put on the P.85 - April 2006.

M

Old May 25th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

EEEK!

Calm down!!!!! Merlot's doing the tax return for 2004/05 (2005 tax year), but you are reclaiming from 2005/06 (2006 tax year)....clear as mud....
Old May 25th 2005, 9:22 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

2004/2005 tax year ends 4th April 2005 this covers all earnings between those times

2005/2006 tax year begins 5th April 2005 therefore you are in this tax year
Old May 25th 2005, 9:24 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Calm down!!!!! Merlot's doing the tax return for 2004/05 (2005 tax year), but you are reclaiming from 2005/06 (2006 tax year)....clear as mud....
You know too much, no way would they allow you to be a tax inspector

Old May 25th 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
You know too much, no way would they allow you to be a tax inspector
UUUGggggg :scared: what a horrible thought... just a sad tax payer with a few dealings at work!!!
Old May 25th 2005, 9:27 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by sonictigger
sad tax payer !!!
Me and you both.

M

Old May 25th 2005, 9:59 pm
Superfreak!!

oops! Should`ve remembered Sonictigger is an accountant. Sorry Judith

2006 tax year it is then
Old May 25th 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

oops! Should`ve remembered Sonictigger is an accountant. Sorry Judith

2006 tax year it is then
Trust me, after some of the accountant I know, don't always believe what we say!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.