British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tax Year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tax-year-157432/)

Bluerobot Jun 5th 2003 10:37 pm

Tax Year

Hope someone can help with this as I'm starting to get confused.:mad:

The plan is to start work in Sydney on 1st July. As this is the start of the tax year in Oz, if I get a Tax File Number before 1st July as opposed to 1st July or after, am I liable for any tax for the 2002-2003 tax year?

Cheers

Dave

Kiwipaul Jun 5th 2003 10:54 pm

You only become liable for tax once you become resident. If you arrive on 1 July that when the tax people will get intrested in you.

Not sure what you would need to do if you got a TFN before July 1 maybe you'd have to put a tax return stating you were non resident for the tax year 2002/2003. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be liable for ANY tax, just not sure about the paperwork.

Bluerobot Jun 5th 2003 10:59 pm

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
You only become liable for tax once you become resident. If you arrive on 1 July that when the tax people will get intrested in you.

Not sure what you would need to do if you got a TFN before July 1 maybe you'd have to put a tax return stating you were non resident for the tax year 2002/2003. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be liable for ANY tax, just not sure about the paperwork.
Thanks for the reply Paul. As you say, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get hit for tax, but yes, I am trying to avoid as much paperwork as possible after the paper trail we have been put through lately. Hopefully someone can clear this up.

Dave

terryg Jun 5th 2003 11:07 pm

Re: Tax Year

Originally posted by Bluerobot
Hope someone can help with this as I'm starting to get confused.:mad:

The plan is to start work in Sydney on 1st July. As this is the start of the tax year in Oz, if I get a Tax File Number before 1st July as opposed to 1st July or after, am I liable for any tax for the 2002-2003 tax year?

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave

You are liable for Oz tax on your worldwide income once you become tax resident in Oz.

Thus even if you have a tax file number prior to 1st Jul 2003 yet do not get paid till AFTER 1st Jul then you will not need to complete a tax return for 2002-2003.

Incidentally, even if you have a tax file number then you still only need to submit a tax return if you paid tax in the tax year in question. There are other events that trigger the requirement for a tax return including if you receive an Oz Govt pension but they are less common.

I hope that this clears things up for you.

Regards

Terry

:lecture:

Bluerobot Jun 5th 2003 11:13 pm

Re: Tax Year

Originally posted by terryg
Hi Dave

You are liable for Oz tax on your worldwide income once you become tax resident in Oz.

Thus even if you have a tax file number prior to 1st Jul 2003 yet do not get paid till AFTER 1st Jul then you will not need to complete a tax return for 2002-2003.

Incidentally, even if you have a tax file number then you still only need to submit a tax return if you paid tax in the tax year in question. There are other events that trigger the requirement for a tax return including if you receive an Oz Got pension but they are less common.

I hope that this clears things up for you.

Regards

Terry

:lecture:
Cheers Terry.

Sounds pretty sensible.

Dave