Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on Working Holiday Visa?

Tax on Working Holiday Visa?

Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Tax on Working Holiday Visa?

Hi,

I'm here on a WHV and will be working full time for a bit. How much tax will I pay and how do I claim back any I pay? I believe there is a threshhold of $6000 - will I only be taxed on earnings above this and can I claim back what I earn above this?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:59 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on Working Holiday Visa?

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Hi,

I'm here on a WHV and will be working full time for a bit. How much tax will I pay and how do I claim back any I pay? I believe there is a threshhold of $6000 - will I only be taxed on earnings above this and can I claim back what I earn above this?
www.ato.gov.au Has all the info, including tax calculators.

In short, like in the UK, tax is deducted from your pay on the assumption that you'll work all year. The end of the tax year is 30 June. You then do your tax return (can do it online). If you're due a refund (quite likely if you haven't worked all year), it is then paid to you by cheque or straight into a bank account. You can't get your refund until after the end of the tax year. And you MUST do a tax return.

When you're working, your employer will also pay super for you (pension contributions). When you've left the country you can claim that back as well. That's not automatic like your tax refund. But again, all info on the above website.

Gina
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Thanks Gina. Hope I dont have to wait until the end of the tax year I know you can claim back tax from the UK by filling out a leaving the uk form.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Guys - any idea how i would claim back super payments made whilst working in Oz on a working holiday visa?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:07 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Guys - any idea how i would claim back super payments made whilst working in Oz on a working holiday visa?
I told you before! www.ato.gov.au Did you even bother to look?!

Here is the direct link: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...19#001_002_064

Scroll down and click on temporary resident. Then read what it says ...

Gina
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Why look when i can get you to tell me. I'm saving on my carbon footprint dear.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I told you before! www.ato.gov.au Did you even bother to look?!

Here is the direct link: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...19#001_002_064

Scroll down and click on temporary resident. Then read what it says ...

Gina
That's not very friendly! He was only asking it is a discussion forum afterall.

I think it's the same as UK and you can submit a tax return early without having to wait untill the end of the tax year. As suggested, the Australian Tax Office site has all the relevant info. If not a tax consultant wouldn't charge much to do it on your behalf.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
That's not very friendly! He was only asking it is a discussion forum afterall.
His response isn't over friendly either though. When someone who has contributed a vast amount of useful stuff to the forum over the years provides a link to the requested info the least you expect someone to do is look at it.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe, but I thought CaptainMerton's reply was in jest!

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Jul 19th 2008 at 12:46 am.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Charlie Bass is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm here on a WHV and will be working full time for a bit. How much tax will I pay and how do I claim back any I pay? I believe there is a threshold of $6000 - will I only be taxed on earnings above this and can I claim back what I earn above this?
As people have mentioned already you pay income tax proportional to how much you earn just like most countries, the more you earn the more you pay obviously. If you want specific details look at the ATO website.

I wouldn't concern yourself with it however since working holiday makers are entitled to claim most if not all of their income tax back. I know I was able to claim all of my tax back, including my super (after departing the country). Make sure you get payment summaries (more commonly known as 'group certificates') from all of your employers before you leave a job. Before you leave the country, see one of the many tax return agents who will charge you about $100 to do your return for you. The process is very simple. As far as super goes I got an email after I left Oz detailing how to claim it back. Although in hindsight I should have left it where it was since I live here permanently now

Good luck and enjoy your time in Australia.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

My reply was in jest. I know sometimes these questions seem obvious but i think i was hoping to start some chat which usually gets people with experience of what you are asking into a discussion where they can warn you of any pitfalls of work arounds or anything. I'll def be earning over the threshold and getting super. Suppose i better have a look at that link to the ato then eh :-) Thanks for advice people cheers.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to raise this one again but from reading all the ATO and other tax websites it seems I would be treated as Non-Resident for tax purposes in Australia and will be charged a flat rate of 29% on any earnings no matter how big or small they are thus I would be unable to claim back any of the tax I've paid. Can anyone clarify this? Any advice much appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to raise this one again but from reading all the ATO and other tax websites it seems I would be treated as Non-Resident for tax purposes in Australia and will be charged a flat rate of 29% on any earnings no matter how big or small they are thus I would be unable to claim back any of the tax I've paid. Can anyone clarify this? Any advice much appreciated.
Yes I believe that is correct, as a WHV holder you are not entitled to the $6k tax free allowance.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:23 am
Banned

No, don't worry. Although a WHV is a temporary visa (i.e. you aren't a resident), for tax purposes you are resident. And you'll have no problem claiming back the tax .

Just apply for your tax file number (TFN). It takes up to four weeks to come through.

Gina
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

I already have the TFN. I'll be working approx 8 weeks full time here then going back. i have a WHV. When i use the tax calculator on the ATO website and say i am non-resident it says i will pay 29% tax this is a flat rate doesnt matter what i earn. I'm only here for 10 weeks total. Will this affect how i am classified. Would like to know as if i'm taxed like a resident its a tidy sum i'll get back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.