Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax for teachers

Tax for teachers

Old May 12th 2005, 7:06 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Tax for teachers

Anybody know what % teachers get taxed b/c there's a massive difference between the tax calculator on ato.gov.au and my bloody payslip!!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 7:09 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax for teachers

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Anybody know what % teachers get taxed b/c there's a massive difference between the tax calculator on ato.gov.au and my bloody payslip!!!!
Have you given the employer the Tax File Number ?

It should be the same as everyone else

Old May 12th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Same with my hubby's payslip. They are paying him at newly qualified rate (despite 10 years experience) and taxing him at the highest rate because they haven't sorted out his TFN yet- although he gave him the number quite a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll sort it all out soon as at this rate he'd be earning more doing a paper round
Old May 12th 2005, 7:17 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you given the employer the Tax File Number ?

It should be the same as everyone else
Given TFN - but us poor old teachers must get taxed more. I've come out with bugger all!

Sam
Old May 12th 2005, 7:20 am
ABCDiamond

Given TFN - but us poor old teachers must get taxed more. I've come out with bugger all!

Sam
Have you asked the person in charge of payroll ?

And is the TFN number printed on the payslip ? If not, they may not have processed it yet as with YFitz.

Old May 12th 2005, 7:21 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by YFitz
Same with my hubby's payslip. They are paying him at newly qualified rate (despite 10 years experience) and taxing him at the highest rate because they haven't sorted out his TFN yet- although he gave him the number quite a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll sort it all out soon as at this rate he'd be earning more doing a paper round
It makes me so mad!! We'd be better off working at McDonalds!! It's a surprise Australia gets any british teachers over here!! I know it's all about a better lifestyle but if you don't get paid then you're pretty limited as to what sort of lifestyle you get.

At least your post has made me feel slightly better. I've only been teaching 4 years so it's not as bad as your hubbie.

Is he on a permanent contract? I got tricked into signing a contract at my school I'm at now, instead of getting supply rate. Thankfully only a nine day contract. I'm sticking to supply teaching for the rest of my life, at least that will be nearer to a 'live-able' wage.

Sam
Old May 12th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

It makes me so mad!! We'd be better off working at McDonalds!! It's a surprise Australia gets any british teachers over here!! I know it's all about a better lifestyle but if you don't get paid then you're pretty limited as to what sort of lifestyle you get.

At least your post has made me feel slightly better. I've only been teaching 4 years so it's not as bad as your hubbie.

Is he on a permanent contract? I got tricked into signing a contract at my school I'm at now, instead of getting supply rate. Thankfully only a nine day contract. I'm sticking to supply teaching for the rest of my life, at least that will be nearer to a 'live-able' wage.

Sam
He's on a 1 term contract and we're hoping it will become longer.
That's unfair of them getting you to sign a 9 day contract as the whole point of being paid more for supply rate is to cover you for holidays when the schools are closed and you can't earn.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:29 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

That's unfair of them getting you to sign a 9 day contract as the whole point of being paid more for supply rate is to cover you for holidays when the schools are closed and you can't earn.
I've just looked through my payslip and it works out to be £13 per day!!!! I was on £120 a day in the UK!!

I just don't understand!

Sam
Old May 12th 2005, 7:35 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Don't mean to be rude, I think I just can't see the wood for the trees....What is the advantage of being on permanent contract? Apart from being paid over the holidays, looking at what the take home pay is (NQT level or up to 10 years experience - permanent teachers get pittance!)

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. I've been looking on the Queensland Teacher's Union website's salary guide and even with 6 years experience, you'd only come out with about the equivalence of £970 a month.

At least with supply it's more inline with UK wages.

Sam
Old May 12th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Don't mean to be rude, I think I just can't see the wood for the trees....What is the advantage of being on permanent contract? Apart from being paid over the holidays, looking at what the take home pay is (NQT level or up to 10 years experience - permanent teachers get pittance!)

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. I've been looking on the Queensland Teacher's Union website's salary guide and even with 6 years experience, you'd only come out with about the equivalence of £970 a month.

Sam
I'm working in Brisbane and on contract per term and my tax file number is in order.

Here's my pay slip, bottom line...I don't care if anyone knows how much I earn!

Initially I was paid basic rate, bottom of the scale - $1045 (£426) per fortnight.
My UK experience now considered, I am at the top of the scale - $1575 (£643) per fortnight.

Used to take home ($2035) £830 per fornight in Scotland.

Not an a lot really :scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 8:10 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
I'm working in Brisbane and on contract per term and my tax file number is in order.

Here's my pay slip, bottom line...I don't care if anyone knows how much I earn!

Initially I was paid basic rate, bottom of the scale - $1045 (£426) per fortnight.
My UK experience now considered, I am at the top of the scale - $1575 (£643) per fortnight.

Used to take home ($2035) £830 per fornight in Scotland.

Not an a lot really :scared:
Sorry - it's been an emotional day!! Still not quite with it - but I appreciate your post.

From reading it, it implies that you are on $1575 after tax per fortnight? Is that right? If so, what band and step are you on? Sorry to keep asking questions!

Also, when you say you have your experience considered? how much experience? If it's 20 years of being a head then I have no chance of getting up to that sort of level!!

Sam
Old May 12th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam
My hubby's just come in from school and he confirms what you say that supply does pay 20% more. I guess it's because you wouldn't get any sick pay and it covers the unpredictability of supply work. For us though, a permanent contract would be preferable simply for the peace of mind. We've got 3 small kids so I don't work and when we eventually buy here we will probably be looking at having a small mortgage. Having a permanent contract just makes it a bit easier to plan ahead.
Hubby was top of MPS in UK which is somewhere around the UK average wage I believe, the point on the payscale he has been told he will go on here in WA (when they eventually get their finger out) is similar in money terms but is much higher than the Aus average wage (which I think is in the region of $45-$50k) so on paper we should be better off. That's my understanding of it anyway. £13 a day is truly shocking. Think hubby worked worked out that he was on approx £40- still pretty shocking. Still when they sort it out it will all get back dated.....Have you talked to your pay roll people? Surely they will know what's going on. Also, have nyou checked what your pension deductions are?
Cheers yvonne
Yvonne
Old May 12th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

I wouldnt worry. If you have recently started on the grind here you will get tax free for the 1st $6k earned and end of tax year is end of June. Filling in tax return is a doddle so expect a bumper rebate

otherwise for now they should deduct 24% off for now
Old May 12th 2005, 8:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Muzza04
I wouldnt worry. If you have recently started on the grind here you will get tax free for the 1st $6k earned and end of tax year is end of June. Filling in tax return is a doddle so expect a bumper rebate

otherwise for now they should deduct 24% off for now
That $6,000 tax free threshold is pro rata, for the time you are tax resident in Australia.

ie: $500 per month or $115.38 per week.

Old May 12th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That $6,000 tax free threshold is pro rata, for the time you are tax resident in Australia.

ie: $500 per month or $115.38 per week.

Correct. But, I think they still give the whole whack even after filling out the dates on the tax return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.