Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax situation when OH works overseas

Tax situation when OH works overseas

Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Tax situation when OH works overseas

Does anyone know what the situation regarding tax payment would be if my OH went to work overseas and we stayed here (Australia). He would be paying tax in the country of employment. Would he also be liable here and would it be a problem if he sent us money?

Thanks.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax situation when OH works overseas

Originally Posted by debsy
Does anyone know what the situation regarding tax payment would be if my OH went to work overseas and we stayed here (Australia). He would be paying tax in the country of employment. Would he also be liable here and would it be a problem if he sent us money?
Is he going to be living overseas too? (have you considered the impact of that on your family life?)

You should also think about the impact on his visa/citizenship prospects.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is he going to be living overseas too? (have you considered the impact of that on your family life?)

You should also think about the impact on his visa/citizenship prospects.
Hi Jeremy
We have already had our citizenship interview. I am very concerned about the effect on our family life but OH is suffering from very low self esteem as when we lived overseas he was high up in his industry - but here he has not been able to get even a reply from many job applications. It seems that his expeience and qualifications do not count. We anticipate that he will be overseas for around 10 months. OH is not from the UK and will be retruning to country of origin.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by debsy
Hi Jeremy
We have already had our citizenship interview. I am very concerned about the effect on our family life but OH is suffering from very low self esteem as when we lived overseas he was high up in his industry - but here he has not been able to get even a reply from many job applications. It seems that his expeience and qualifications do not count. We anticipate that he will be overseas for around 10 months. OH is not from the UK and will be retruning to country of origin.
bounce - see if anyone else has any thoughts on this matter.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

I think it's fair to say that most Australian employers - there are a few exceptions - don't value overseas experience from a management point of view; it's different if the skills are technical in nature. Even Australian expats can have a hard time getting re-employed when they come back; so he's not alone and I can appreciate the problems.

The gist of your question however revolve around whether he would be still tax resident in Australia - that's a very hard question to answer and a number of rules apply. Generally, the stronger his ties to Australia - ownership of a house, family, repeated trips - the stronger the likelihood that he will be considered (still) a resident. Sorry, but I don't think there is a "standard" situation - you really need to talk to a tax advisor - particularly if you want to rely on advice if there is chat further down the road with the ATO. Have a look at the ATO website (www.ato.gov.au) for an introduction and Exfin (www.exfin.com) under tax advice for a summary of some of the rules. I know it sounds strange, but I would consider calling the ATO and discussing the situation - I've actually found them quite pleasant at times. Maybe I was lucky!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fardell
I think it's fair to say that most Australian employers - there are a few exceptions - don't value overseas experience from a management point of view; it's different if the skills are technical in nature. Even Australian expats can have a hard time getting re-employed when they come back; so he's not alone and I can appreciate the problems.

The gist of your question however revolve around whether he would be still tax resident in Australia - that's a very hard question to answer and a number of rules apply. Generally, the stronger his ties to Australia - ownership of a house, family, repeated trips - the stronger the likelihood that he will be considered (still) a resident. Sorry, but I don't think there is a "standard" situation - you really need to talk to a tax advisor - particularly if you want to rely on advice if there is chat further down the road with the ATO. Have a look at the ATO website (www.ato.gov.au) for an introduction and Exfin (www.exfin.com) under tax advice for a summary of some of the rules. I know it sounds strange, but I would consider calling the ATO and discussing the situation - I've actually found them quite pleasant at times. Maybe I was lucky!
Thanks for the advice. It is a laugh really when you get your skills ascertained by Aim (which I have heard is one of the more difficult ones) and then you cant get a get lol
I will give the ATO a ring.
Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Hi, you will have to find out on the ATO website if the country that he will working in has a double taxation agreement with Aus ( the UK does ). If it has then you/he will not have to pay Aus tax as well but Centrelink will take his earnings into consideration when calculating their payments i.e. child benefit etc. This also effects Pom families who move overhere.
Woodie