Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on shipping goods - query from prog. last night ?

Tax on shipping goods - query from prog. last night ?

Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:00 am
Go Banana's !!

Question Tax on shipping goods - query from prog. last night ?

Hi,
Not sure if this has been asked before but did anyone notice on the programme last night (we also thought he was better off without her !!) about being taxed on items being brought into the country.

Please correct me or shed some light on this, as the way it came over in the programme was that you were taxed on all items over £100 or bought in the last 12 months ??? Did we miss hear that because it didn't seem right. I have read from ealier threads on the cunning ways the bureacrats get more money out of you but I thought this was a bit much if correct? How would they value it for instance ???

Also, we have lots of sold oak furniture (2 years old) to bring over (when...thats my positive view coming through), when we get the yellow envelope, how much does it cost to get the items fumigated or is that only for special items?

Get us out of here........waiting and waiting and waiting.........I think I'm going mad !!!

Help please ?

Best wishes

Warren (and Jill)

Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You are supposed to declare any items owned by you for this than 12 months, and they are then liable for GST (10%) - idea being to stop people buying stuff, then selling it in Oz.
You also have to declare anything wooden, then AQIS decide whether it needs fumigating and bill you accordingly. CAn't tell you how much, my stuff hasn't got here yet!!
Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax on shipping goods - query from prog. last night ?

Hi Warren,

You must declare anything that is valued at over £100 if you have owned and used it for less than 12 months.

Such items will be subject to duties.

Our shippers have advised us not to declare appliances etc that are less than 12 months, just state what they are ie. washing machine, tumble drier etc. They will repackage everything. If they are checked we may still be subject to duty. I have heard that they sometimes check serial numbers etc for age but I think you have to be pretty unlucky.

As far as wood products go, it all has to be fumigated. Again our shippers have advised that they spray all items before packaging and state that fact on the documentation. Your goods could however still face fumigation charges by AQIS if they are not satisfied. Cane and wicker are absolute no no's.

The website AQIS

HTH.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:23 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Tax on shipping goods - query from prog. last night ?

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi Warren,

You must declare anything that is valued at over £100 if you have owned and used it for less than 12 months.

Such items will be subject to duties.

Our shippers have advised us not to declare appliances etc that are less than 12 months, just state what they are ie. washing machine, tumble drier etc. They will repackage everything. If they are checked we may still be subject to duty. I have heard that they sometimes check serial numbers etc for age but I think you have to be pretty unlucky.

As far as wood products go, it all has to be fumigated. Again our shippers have advised that they spray all items before packaging and state that fact on the documentation. Your goods could however still face fumigation charges by AQIS if they are not satisfied. Cane and wicker are absolute no no's.

The website AQIS

HTH.
Thanks guys, I guess a cunning strategy and a bit of common sense is required then.....oh well that rules me out !!

Thanks for the info
Warren and Jill (heading for Perth)

Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think this fumigating stuff must only apply to certain countries. We have just shipped all our stuffover from NZ and fumigation of wooden stuff was never brought up nd we have paid up front for door to door delivery.

I am however, somewhat pissed off with customs. They rang today to say our ship is arriving tomorrow. They must be despeate to get rid of our stuff as a guy turned up on our doorstep at 6pm tonite to hand deliver our declaration forms!!!..oh...and to say we must pay another $308 for the privelege of having them checked through customs.

Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong - I'm sure someone will tell me if I am!- but the stuff goes to AQIS after being cleared through Customs. I've had 2 lots in by Air frieght, had to clear them through Customs, with the forms, then they were inspected by AQIS. If they are interested (and if there are wooden items they probably will be) they can demand to open stuff, then if they decide they want to treat anything, they hang on to it, treat it, then bill you. You can't pay till they've looked through the stuff, cos they don't know if you have anything "dodgy". My shippers told me they will probably just open one or two boxes,and the ones marked as containing wooden stuff, and let the rest through untouched.
So be warned, PP, you may get a bill yet. On the other hand, NZ might be treated differently from the UK.
Let us know......