Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on savings without tax file number

Tax on savings without tax file number

Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:25 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax on savings without tax file number

If we transfer our cash over to an Oz savings account before we get our visa and tax file number do we pay a higher rate of tax on those savings does anyone know?

Cheers

Lou
xx
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:16 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax on savings without tax file number

Originally Posted by charles.edington
If we transfer our cash over to an Oz savings account before we get our visa and tax file number do we pay a higher rate of tax on those savings does anyone know?

Cheers

Lou
xx
From what I understand if you don't have a tax file number they will tax your interest at the highest rate which according to this link is 45% http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...u=5053&mfp=001
You will be able to claim any overpayments back at the end of the tax year though.

That will be one of the first things I do when I get to OZ is get aTFN, you can do it online now and it looks straightforward you just need an OZ adddress.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy chappy
From what I understand if you don't have a tax file number they will tax your interest at the highest rate which according to this link is 45% http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...u=5053&mfp=001
You will be able to claim any overpayments back at the end of the tax year though.

That will be one of the first things I do when I get to OZ is get aTFN, you can do it online now and it looks straightforward you just need an OZ adddress.

Hope this helps
Dave
I think its 30%.

TC
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:27 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I think its 30%.

TC
Witholding tax is 10% if you are not yet resident, ie, still in uk, with a uk address for the account.

If when you become resident, you still don't supply your TFN, then it moves up to the highest rate, which is about 40-45% I believe.

Hope this helps.

S
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I think its 30%.

TC

Haven't looked at the rate latelty but last time I did is was over 40%
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charles.edington

Cheers

Lou
xx
if you are resident for tax purposes, tax is paid gross by the banks, and your liability for tax is assessed at the end of the tax year when you complete your tax return.
if you are still in the UK and don't have a TFN yet, the bank withholds 10% of the interest; when you complete your tax return this deduction is offset against your tax liability for the year.
if you are not yet in Oz at the end of the tax year then you will be taxed as a non-resident - tax rates are here