Wikiposts

tax returns

Old May 11th 2004, 11:34 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default tax returns

apparently everyone has to do a tax return here at the end of the financial year. How does this work.....ie do they send you forms to complete like in the UK or do we need to sort it all out?

Any help appreciated
Old May 11th 2004, 11:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tax returns

Originally posted by banjo
apparently everyone has to do a tax return here at the end of the financial year. How does this work.....ie do they send you forms to complete like in the UK or do we need to sort it all out?

Any help appreciated
3 Choices

1 Pick up the forms at a newsagent/post office/ATO for free
2 Download the calculator available from the ATO website and fill it in on your computer and submit electronically
3 Get an accountant.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
3 Choices

2 Download the calculator available from the ATO website and fill it in on your computer and submit electronically
3 Get an accountant.
Tax Agents/Accountants tend to charge about $65-$85 for a straightforward tax return. But from personal experience mistakes are not uncommon.

Old May 11th 2004, 12:14 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

And what is the timescale again?
I keep forgetting. Sorry.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:39 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Returns and Tax Agents

- If you don't use a tax agent the Return must be lodged by 31st October following the end of the tax year.

- Tax agents have longer to lodge the Return - usually well into the following calendar year.

As a word of caution, in my experience the average High Street tax agent most probably won't have encountered many of the tax and financial planning issues that you bring with you to Australia as a newly arrived migrant ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by JulesandChris
And what is the timescale again?
I keep forgetting. Sorry.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax Returns and Tax Agents

Originally posted by Alan Collett
As a word of caution, in my experience the average High Street tax agent most probably won't have encountered many of the tax and financial planning issues that you bring with you to Australia as a newly arrived migrant ...
I'll second that opinon

They are OK if you are a normal PAYE/PAYG employee.

Old May 11th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Alan

Any recommendations in the Perth area & the rough cost for using one would be appreciated as we are due there later in the year & a recommendation would save alot of time & mistakes!!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old May 11th 2004, 10:50 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
3 Choices

3 Get an accountant.

thanks..... any chance of a link to the website? Also, whose mistakes are not uncommon.....accountant or personal?
Old May 12th 2004, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by banjo
thanks..... any chance of a link to the website? Also, whose mistakes are not uncommon.....accountant or personal?
ATO online lodging link
But it won't be available till July1st.

Mistakes by Tax Agents are not uncommon.
I personally do not class a Tax Agent as an Accountant. Although I suppose I am generalising here based on my experience, not all will be in that same bracket.

Old May 12th 2004, 12:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I would exchange an email with my Australian CA colleague John Griffiths, via john - at - gmga - dot - com - dot - au

Best regards.

Originally posted by pockygoes
Alan

Any recommendations in the Perth area & the rough cost for using one would be appreciated as we are due there later in the year & a recommendation would save alot of time & mistakes!!!

cheers

pockygoes