Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax returns 2015

Tax returns 2015

Old Oct 4th 2015, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by ABCD......
1: I would be concerned at that time frame

2: I would do all at once, with a cover explanation letter. If you do one first, they may then chase for the rest

3: Almost certainly a fine. It will probably depend on the amount of tax to be paid. Hope they are all refunds

4: You could ask the ATO, explain what happened and that it is being sorted now. Missing Group Certificates ? An employer may be able to give a photocopy to be used.

This years Tax returns were my first that I got annoyed doing.
Many thanks for that - I shall chase my friend into digging out the paperwork for the old ones and try and submit them all at once.

As for that one we submitted in July...guess it could be time to ring them
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Polly, I once put in 5 years of tax returns at once. Each year can be done on the current year's form, with the date crossed out and the applicable year written in.

I had a uni debt, but each year I'd paid enough tax to cover it. I'd actually paid it off after the third year, but was still paying the higher rate of tax, so got a substantial refund. From memory, the ATO fined me approx. $100 for the late returns, it certainly wasn't much.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 6:49 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Polly, I once put in 5 years of tax returns at once. Each year can be done on the current year's form, with the date crossed out and the applicable year written in.

I had a uni debt, but each year I'd paid enough tax to cover it. I'd actually paid it off after the third year, but was still paying the higher rate of tax, so got a substantial refund. From memory, the ATO fined me approx. $100 for the late returns, it certainly wasn't much.
Thats useful to know, I shall arm myself with a pile of current forms and cross my fingers my friend gets a refund that covers the fine!
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back a friend did about 5 years worth in one go and didn't get fined at all.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A few years back a friend did about 5 years worth in one go and didn't get fined at all.
As long as you are paying, its all good.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I dug out my old assessment form Polly - the money I had to pay wasn't a fine at all, it was interest on my HECS debt ($115). I think the bottom line is if the ATO owe you money, you're in the clear. If you owe them, they'll take the money plus interest.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:16 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I dug out my old assessment form Polly - the money I had to pay wasn't a fine at all, it was interest on my HECS debt ($115). I think the bottom line is if the ATO owe you money, you're in the clear. If you owe them, they'll take the money plus interest.
Thanks heaps for that
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Word of warning for anyone returning to Aus and using their previously issued TFN........
The ATO occasionally puts a stop on a TFN if they think it isn't being used any more - triggers for this can include someone cancelling their visa and returning home. The annoying thing is that they don't tell you they've done this. So you may return to Aus, start paying tax again on what everyone views as a perfectly valid number, but when you try and claim tax back, or open a mygov account......the TFN comes up as invalid and you have to phone them and ask whats going on. They will then lift the stop on the number.

Be warned - if returning, just contact them and check your number is still 'live'.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 2:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got around to doing the husband's. After a couple of minor wft moments, it was pretty straightforward. Most importantly we got a bit back. Be interested to know how long they expect you to take to do it as I thought I was relatively speedy but still timed out although they probably do that to everyone just to piss people off.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Just some feedback on this one.

Mucho thanks to all who posted, helped persuade the person concerned, who has now taken their large shoebox of paperwork to a tax accountant. Seven years worth of tax returns for person and partner, all filed in one go. Partner ended up with a small refund, person ended up with no refund but also no bill (pretty clever accounting methinks!). And no fines from the ATO for late filing.

One more small question (ready for this year!) - in those States where its necessary to have private heath care to cover ambulances, like WA. If you ONLY take out ambuance cover, nothing else, does that have any effect on the Medicare Levy Surcharge thing or isn't it worth mentioning?
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you ONLY take out ambuance cover, nothing else, does that have any effect on the Medicare Levy Surcharge thing or isn't it worth mentioning?
I am pretty sure it would not be relevant.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:31 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ABCD......
I am pretty sure it would not be relevant.
Thats what I suspected! Thanks for the confirmation