Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax returns 2015

Tax returns 2015

Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:56 am
  #1  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax returns 2015

Am I right that the old easy etax system has changed and each person now has to sign up to this poxy mygov system in order to do a tax return online? Or am I missing something......

Makes things complicated when you are trying to do tax returns for other people
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:16 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 260
blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Am I right that the old easy etax system has changed and each person now has to sign up to this poxy mygov system in order to do a tax return online? Or am I missing something......

Makes things complicated when you are trying to do tax returns for other people
It's looking that way Polly, if you have very simple tax affairs, as we have and we all have a MyGov account each, and within the MyGov portal we can access our Medicare and tax affairs, I like it, some will not?

But I am certain you must have a MyGov portal to do a MyTax simple tax return. Some friends who's affairs are really simple received a letter outlining this is the best way to go.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/l...-online/mytax/

Opening a MyGov account was pretty simple, what I like about it is if you return to the UK, you have access to all your info within this portal online in one place, better than the UK I feel. Wow me praising Ozzy systems, the lobotomy bust have kicked in.

https://my.gov.au/EnrolService/enrol...cutionKey=e1s1


Pretty sure you can still use etax though. Cannot see why not hey?

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/L...-online/e-tax/

Last edited by blackcab; Jun 29th 2015 at 9:22 am.
blackcab is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:22 am
  #3  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by blackcab View Post
It's looking that way Polly, if you have very simple tax affairs, as we have and we all have a MyGov account each, and within the MyGov portal we can access our Medicare and tax affairs, I like it, some will not?

But I am certain you must have a MyGov portal to do a MyTax simple tax return. Some friends who's affairs are really simple received a letter outlining this is the best way to go.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/l...-online/mytax/

Opening a MyGov account was pretty simple, what I like about it is if you return to the UK, you have access to all your info within this portal online in one place, better than the UK I feel. Wow me praising Ozzy systems, the lobotomy bust have kicked in.

https://my.gov.au/EnrolService/enrol...cutionKey=e1s1
Just a pain, as I don't need centrelink or any of the other stuff, and the old etax was so easy. My tax is too simple to waste money and time on an accountant, same for the mate who has had me doing his tax online over the last few years.Signing up myself wasn't too bad, only 20 minutes on the phone to the ATO to do it as their system wouldn't recognise me even though I have done my tax online since 2004, but I guess 20 minutes by Aussie standards isn't too bad. But if someone back in the UK has to do that it all starts to cost money.
I think they will see more paper returns than in previous years.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:02 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 260
blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Polly, just carry on using e-tax then, they cannot force you to use mytax just because you have a simple tax return. They are just encouraging people to use mytax, so to open a MyGov account me thinks. So why change a winning formula, lodge using etax online just like usual, I bet there will be no problem at all. Its just my other half as this weird way where he hates downloading and installing government software on the pc; he is a conspiracist at heart, its why we are going to try mytax this year. I think it involves no software download.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/L...-online/e-tax/

E-tax is a free, convenient and secure way to lodge your own tax return online.

E-tax 2015

E-tax 2015 will be available for use from 1 July 2015
blackcab is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:41 pm
  #5  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by blackcab View Post
Polly, just carry on using e-tax then, they cannot force you to use mytax just because you have a simple tax return. They are just encouraging people to use mytax, so to open a MyGov account me thinks. So why change a winning formula, lodge using etax online just like usual, I bet there will be no problem at all. Its just my other half as this weird way where he hates downloading and installing government software on the pc; he is a conspiracist at heart, its why we are going to try mytax this year. I think it involves no software download.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/L...-online/e-tax/

E-tax is a free, convenient and secure way to lodge your own tax return online.

E-tax 2015

E-tax 2015 will be available for use from 1 July 2015
Fab
I did try a few days back to find an etax link thata didn't involve mytax but kept hitting a brick wall - I guess its better hidden to stop us using ig=t that way! You do have to download the software, as in previous years, but hopefuly its separate from the other conglomerate mess!!
Thanks!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 7:17 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
DC10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Other side of the Westgate
Posts: 654
DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Stories are abounding in the media today about the ATO/MyGov website being hopelessly ill-prepared for the tax return season, with severe outages and slow service. Maybe it's a ruse to deter those who are owed money from getting hold of it too quickly. Be warned
DC10 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 7:48 am
  #7  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by DC10 View Post
Stories are abounding in the media today about the ATO/MyGov website being hopelessly ill-prepared for the tax return season, with severe outages and slow service. Maybe it's a ruse to deter those who are owed money from getting hold of it too quickly. Be warned
The ATO is a major PITA but one good thing that I will say about them is that I have never had a problem getting refunds back from them - ever. They have always paid promptly
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 10:12 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 260
blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Polly,

The Mytax new system is terrible, very very slow and simple. If you are claiming any kind of tax offset then it tells you to do one and use etax.

So I claim work registration costs, I cannot use MyTax, I have to use etax.

So the MyGov account is not much use to me.
blackcab is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:31 pm
  #9  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Its shocking compared to last year.
I'm trying to do a claim for someone who hasn't had to do a tax return for the last 5 years and it won't let me create a mygv account, so I can't use etaxOR mytax.
To get a paperform and do it that way I have to create ANOTHer account with the ATO publications section, and order paper forms that will come by snail mail.....not even a form that can be printed off and filled in.

And quelle surpirse - even though the calculations of a very savvy guy at work reckon i have been over taxed and am due a refund - etax has come back and presented me with a bill once more, even with a load of work reated tax deductions I still owe them a packet. Why can't the poxy govenerment even tax their own staff correctly in the first place!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:23 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
DC10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Other side of the Westgate
Posts: 654
DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

I managed to submit (uncomplicated) tax returns for my wife and I this afternoon. It took about three attempts for each - on the first two occasions I got right to the "submit" point at the end when it would come up with a timeout error, at which point all data was lost and I had to start all over again This timeout error is being reported in the news. It seems that unless you race through the whole return in less than about half an hour it will timeout and all data is lost, notwithstanding the (so-called) "save and continue" button which you hit after each section. If it wasn't for the fact that we are owed quite a few grand I can assure you I would have given up after the first attempt...

The more I am exposed to IT the more difficult I find it to understand how the highly incompetent turkeys who work in the field justify their enormous pay packets and fail to get the simple things right, or be held accountable for their constant disasters (with apologies to all turkeys out there)!

Last edited by DC10; Jul 5th 2015 at 8:27 am.
DC10 is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2015, 2:12 am
  #11  
Addicted to browsing BE
 
goldchoccycoin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 2,046
goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Pollyanna, I feel your pain - I also work for the Government and they never tax me correctly - either too much or too little (this year too much so I get a lot back, but I would have preferred to have that sitting in my account throughout the year not the Government's pocket!).

I don't know why it's so hard - I get paid a salary, no shift allowances or extras - a standard amount every fortnight. I shudder to think how people with OT or shift allowances work it out.

I'll also have to wait for my PAYE summary for another couple of weeks. Sigh. Can't possibly do it online, way to complicated.
goldchoccycoin is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:19 am
  #12  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin View Post
Pollyanna, I feel your pain - I also work for the Government and they never tax me correctly - either too much or too little (this year too much so I get a lot back, but I would have preferred to have that sitting in my account throughout the year not the Government's pocket!).

I don't know why it's so hard - I get paid a salary, no shift allowances or extras - a standard amount every fortnight. I shudder to think how people with OT or shift allowances work it out.

I'll also have to wait for my PAYE summary for another couple of weeks. Sigh. Can't possibly do it online, way to complicated.
Mine is slightly more complex as we do get some shift allowances, but thats all, nothing to claim for. In my previous role there were no shift allowances and even then they got it wrong, even on a basic AO2 salary! i'm glad you see my point-how can it be so hard to tax someone correctly? They manage it in the UK, why can't they manage it here? Then if people have stuff they want to claim, let them do a return, but stop the pain for the rest of us Please!!

My salary this year is virtually the same as last year, deductions are the same (long list of small amounts hardly worth looking at) - same percentage was deducted from the total amount according to my silly bit of paper. Yet last year I got a refund this year I get a bill
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:26 am
  #13  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

In
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Mine is slightly more complex as we do get some shift allowances, but thats all, nothing to claim for. In my previous role there were no shift allowances and even then they got it wrong, even on a basic AO2 salary! i'm glad you see my point-how can it be so hard to tax someone correctly? They manage it in the UK, why can't they manage it here? Then if people have stuff they want to claim, let them do a return, but stop the pain for the rest of us Please!!

My salary this year is virtually the same as last year, deductions are the same (long list of small amounts hardly worth looking at) - same percentage was deducted from the total amount according to my silly bit of paper. Yet last year I got a refund this year I get a bill
I've always been taxed correctly here - hardly any worse than the UK

I find the UK IR to be more incompetent than the ATO - which is a good thing as you can get away with more, er, avoidance

The ATO are tax nazis

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 6th 2015 at 7:40 am.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:32 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
DC10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Other side of the Westgate
Posts: 654
DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
I've always been taxed correctly here - hardly any worse than the UK

I find the UK In to be more incompetent than the ATO - which is a good thing as you can away with more, er, avoidance

The ATO are tax nazis
Agree 100%. It almost felt like tax was optional in the UK, and that you'd have to stand outside the HMRC banging a drum and waving a flag before you'd come to their attention (though they could be tenacious once one did).

Nazism is generally more widespread in bureaucracy over here - I guess most things (borders, just for a start) are easier to police and the black economy is comparatively tiny.
DC10 is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:14 am
  #15  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,735
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
In

I've always been taxed correctly here - hardly any worse than the UK

I find the UK IR to be more incompetent than the ATO - which is a good thing as you can get away with more, er, avoidance

The ATO are tax nazis

Yup, and tax avoidance is a crime against the commonwealth - so just be mindful of your citizenship when claiming those 'extras' in your tax return...


S
Swerv-o is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.