Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax returns 2015

Tax returns 2015

Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice
Default Re: Tax returns 2015

Took a bit to find, but here's a link to 2015 etax - https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...talling-e-tax/

We also can't use MyTax as it doesn't include all necessary fields from the tax form so eTax is for us. Unfortunately all the ATO links seem to try to force you to use MyTax.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yup, and tax avoidance is a crime against the commonwealth - so just be mindful of your citizenship when claiming those 'extras' in your tax return...

S
Er, I was talking about the UK not Australia

My tax returns here are all verifiable - it was a bit different when I lived in the UK.........
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:19 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Er, I was talking about the UK not Australia

My tax returns here are all verifiable - it was a bit different when I lived in the UK.........

You said the ATO were Tax Nazis! I was just pointing out that Tax Nazism + Commonwealth conviction = citizenship revocation.

I wasn't suggesting that you, or anybody else, had done anything improper, just to be mindful in the future...

S
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You said the ATO were Tax Nazis! I was just pointing out that Tax Nazism + Commonwealth conviction = citizenship revocation.

I wasn't suggesting that you, or anybody else, had done anything improper, just to be mindful in the future...

S
I'm not saying that you are wrong but this is the first time that I have heard about a crime committed against the federal government leads to the loss of citizenship?

Another thing to remember is that there is a big difference between tax avoidance and evasion

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 7th 2015 at 5:33 am.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that you are wrong but this is the first time that I have heard about a crime committed against the federal government leads to the loss of citizenship?

Another thing to remember is that there is a big difference between dtax avoidance and evasion

I was extrapolating based on the current bill before the house to amend the Citizenship Act, under which pretty much any offence against the Commonwealth can lead to cancellation of citizenship:

" ... a person will cease to be a citizen if they are convicted of any of a large number of terrorism or other offences. The breadth of this category is enormous and troubling. People may lose their citizenship for actions that have little or nothing to do with terrorism, and indeed for actions that do not in any way suggest they are disloyal to Australia."
Deeply Flawed Citizenship Law To Throw A Wide Net

I was largely being tongue in cheek, but under there is an element of concern that should be expressed I think.

S
Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Update on the ongoing ATO problems Taxpayers, IT expert slam ATO's 'appalling' myGov integration
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

tapemeasures is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I might be going off on a tangent here (due to extreme frustration, forgive me).

This is the first time I've ever had to lodge a tax return (and the first time I've ever really been owed a substantial amount). I'm back in the UK after coming home from a WHV and have been waiting for July to roll around so that I can lodge this return. Received my payment summaries via email from the 2 jobs I had whilst living in Perth, having claimed RTP status.

Already having problems. Can't seem to lodge anything with MyGov due to no longer having an Australian phone number or address - similar issues with eTax. Have looked at some other tax agent sites, and the only one that seems to allow me to lodge from the UK is TaxBack - which seems downright dodgy.

Can anyone advise me please? I don't want to pay a massive tax agent fee or have to wait ages considering my tax return should be a straightforward one.

Many thanks,

Bev
Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by tapemeasures
Hi all,

I might be going off on a tangent here (due to extreme frustration, forgive me).

This is the first time I've ever had to lodge a tax return (and the first time I've ever really been owed a substantial amount). I'm back in the UK after coming home from a WHV and have been waiting for July to roll around so that I can lodge this return. Received my payment summaries via email from the 2 jobs I had whilst living in Perth, having claimed RTP status.

Already having problems. Can't seem to lodge anything with MyGov due to no longer having an Australian phone number or address - similar issues with eTax. Have looked at some other tax agent sites, and the only one that seems to allow me to lodge from the UK is TaxBack - which seems downright dodgy.

Can anyone advise me please? I don't want to pay a massive tax agent fee or have to wait ages considering my tax return should be a straightforward one.

Many thanks,

Bev
Make up a phone number and address
Old Jul 14th 2015, 2:07 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, Tax returns go in the too hard box for me to do myself.

I have a car allowance. I work from home and I'm on the road a lot.

I just pay a tax agent to do it for me and claim the cost of that back as well as my travel expenses to go the the appointment. Even that takes me ages to work up to doing, even though, I know I'm getting a refund!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tapemeasures
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Bev
If you can get as far as etax, fill it all in and then don't try and lodge it online, print it out and send it by post
OR
somewhere on the site (sorry, on my phone so don't have the link) it tells you how to send off for blank forms and get them posted to you -fill them in and post them back to the ATO
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to remember is that there is a big difference between tax avoidance and evasion
I always liked to think of it as a "fine line"
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 4:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, for those with more tax-savvy brains than me:

1) Tax return which had to be done on paper as mygov refused to recognise the details to set up an account. Very straightforward,one income for a few months (so all tax should be refunded), a few deductions, no savings, other income etc.......Filed july 10th.....ATO say still processing......any ideas on a timescale?

2) If someone hasn't filed a tax return for about 7-8 years, and now wants to catch up -is it best to file them all at once, or do one and wait for the response before doing the next one? And if one at a time should it be the oldest first or the most recent?

3) In the situation above, its unlikely that any huge amount of tax will be owed, if any, income was all taxed at source and there aren't any complicated deductions, so are the ATO likely to impose a fine at all for late filing? if so how do they calculate it?

4) If unsure in which year the last return was filed, is there any way of finding out easily? And if Group Certificates are missing, is it best to go back to the employer to get replacements ?
I'm looking at very simple returns, one income, no medical insurance, no interest/savings/investments etc -for 2/3/4 its simply a case that the tax returns got overlooked and now need sorting.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 3rd 2015 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Do I have to complete a nil return as I didn't work during my 6months in Australia? I have an ATO number and a mygov acct but it tried to send a code to my old Australian phone number and there was no way of getting on to the tax page without it. The call centre hours are not compatible with the UK time zone.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've given up on Etax as well and I had a devil of a job obtaining the paper tax return as living in Brissy their is no tax office that issues them

Some kind sole eventually provided a link to it online because the online link I could find demanded I create a login just to get a tax form.

Here the link to the online copy of 2015 tax return.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Individ...x-return-2015/

It's a combined standard and sup all in one.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, for those with more tax-savvy brains than me:

1) Tax return which had to be done on paper as mygov refused to recognise the details to set up an account. Very straightforward,one income for a few months (so all tax should be refunded), a few deductions, no savings, other income etc.......Filed july 10th.....ATO say still processing......any ideas on a timescale?

2) If someone hasn't filed a tax return for about 7-8 years, and now wants to catch up -is it best to file them all at once, or do one and wait for the response before doing the next one? And if one at a time should it be the oldest first or the most recent?

3) In the situation above, its unlikely that any huge amount of tax will be owed, if any, income was all taxed at source and there aren't any complicated deductions, so are the ATO likely to impose a fine at all for late filing? if so how do they calculate it?

4) If unsure in which year the last return was filed, is there any way of finding out easily? And if Group Certificates are missing, is it best to go back to the employer to get replacements ?
I'm looking at very simple returns, one income, no medical insurance, no interest/savings/investments etc -for 2/3/4 its simply a case that the tax returns got overlooked and now need sorting.

1: I would be concerned at that time frame

2: I would do all at once, with a cover explanation letter. If you do one first, they may then chase for the rest

3: Almost certainly a fine. It will probably depend on the amount of tax to be paid. Hope they are all refunds

4: You could ask the ATO, explain what happened and that it is being sorted now. Missing Group Certificates ? An employer may be able to give a photocopy to be used.

This years Tax returns were my first that I got annoyed doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.