Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax - Returning to UK for 10 days work?

Tax - Returning to UK for 10 days work?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Tax - Returning to UK for 10 days work?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this. We are trying to understand it all along with our account.

Hubby and I moved over 2 years ago and are PR. Hubby may have some work lined up for about 10 days in 2 weeks.

We believe he will be taxed at source in the UK and have heard that he will also be taxed on his return to Australia. We are trying to actually work out if it really is worth him returning for this work especially if he gets hit for tax in both countries.

Does anyone know anything about double taxation? Can you put your flight and travelling expenses against it. How do we find out how it all works when it involves UK and Australian tax etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax - Returning to UK for 10 days work?

Double taxation relief will come into play, so that he only ends up paying a total of whichever countries tax rate is the highest

If he is self employed, then he pays no tax in UK, and claims all expenses against Australian tax on that income, assuming the work is the sole purpose for the travel.

But I do suggest that you ring the tax office direct for clarification.