Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax return & superannuation

tax return & superannuation

Old May 9th 2008, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

louise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant future
Default tax return & superannuation

guys i need help in this!

i worked in oz last year and now it is the end of financial year, how do i apply for tax return? and refund on superannuation? i am applying for PR at this stage, is it important that i get all this done now?

at what office in oz or london will help me do this?
otherwise which forms do i need to fill in?

thanks
Old May 9th 2008, 5:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax return & superannuation

Bit confused....when did you work in Aus?

Aus tax year runs 1st July - 30th Jun. If you want a refund of tax for the year 1st July 06 - 30th Jun 07 then you should've submitted a tax return a while ago now.

Also if you are coming to Aus as a PR why don't you just leave your super where it is?
Old May 9th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

louise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant futurelouise79nga has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
Bit confused....when did you work in Aus?

Aus tax year runs 1st July - 30th Jun. If you want a refund of tax for the year 1st July 06 - 30th Jun 07 then you should've submitted a tax return a while ago now.

Also if you are coming to Aus as a PR why don't you just leave your super where it is?
i worked in aug 2007 - nov 2007

hmm yuh super can stay as it is
tax i need to sort out
Old May 9th 2008, 6:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise79nga

hmm yuh super can stay as it is
tax i need to sort out
Well I'm not sure on the rules as you may be coming back??

One thing to bear in mind......it's not like the UK.....where you get the full tax free component regardless of how long you were resident for tax purposes in the tax year. In Aus the first $6k is at 0%, however, if you were only resident for tax purposes in the Aug - Nov period you would only be entitled to $2k at 0%.

What type of visa were you on when you were working in Aus before?
Old May 9th 2008, 6:32 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the tax year 1 July 2007 to 30 June 2008. So, you can't do your tax return just yet.

Just make sure that the ATO have your current address. This website the phone numbers to phone from within Oz and from overseas:
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...mnu=52&mfp=001

Gina
Old May 9th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

guys i need help in this!

i worked in oz last year and now it is the end of financial year, how do i apply for tax return? and refund on superannuation? i am applying for PR at this stage, is it important that i get all this done now?

at what office in oz or london will help me do this?
otherwise which forms do i need to fill in?

thanks

Hi there Louise,

I assume you were on a WHV?

Some tips that may just help you.

The australian taxation system is about as complicated almost as brain surgery!

Okay so I exaggerate a little but you'll find that most Aussies get an accountant to do all this for them. I've seen the forms and attempted to do em but can I eck as like!

I went out on a WHV back in 04-05 and did not complete a return when I left. I know there are alot of backpackers who don't when they leave.

I've been incredibly responsible (even for me!) and called up the ATO to explain they I did a few days work whilst travelling and said I wanted to get my financial affairs in order before I make the more permanent move in December.

They seemed quite pleased they I was letting them know this and they said they logged it on my file. Now my first worry was late penalties and fines... but they said its possible I won't owe them anything due to the time I worked which was barely a week BUT completing a tax return is mandatory no matter how long you worked for.

I am getting www.taxback.com to do my return for me. Either $150 for the admin fees or they deduct it from your superannuation refund if you earnt above the threshold, which I didn't so i'll be paying the £70 odd to them but to save me a massive headache its well worth it!

If you attempt the forms yourself and make a mistake then they return it to you thus prolonging the process.

If you have the cash then get taxback.com to do it for you.

Good luck!
Old May 10th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jam76
Hi there Louise,

I assume you were on a WHV?

Some tips that may just help you.

The australian taxation system is about as complicated almost as brain surgery!

Okay so I exaggerate a little but you'll find that most Aussies get an accountant to do all this for them. I've seen the forms and attempted to do em but can I eck as like!

I went out on a WHV back in 04-05 and did not complete a return when I left. I know there are alot of backpackers who don't when they leave.

I've been incredibly responsible (even for me!) and called up the ATO to explain they I did a few days work whilst travelling and said I wanted to get my financial affairs in order before I make the more permanent move in December.

They seemed quite pleased they I was letting them know this and they said they logged it on my file. Now my first worry was late penalties and fines... but they said its possible I won't owe them anything due to the time I worked which was barely a week BUT completing a tax return is mandatory no matter how long you worked for.

I am getting www.taxback.com to do my return for me. Either $150 for the admin fees or they deduct it from your superannuation refund if you earnt above the threshold, which I didn't so i'll be paying the £70 odd to them but to save me a massive headache its well worth it!

If you attempt the forms yourself and make a mistake then they return it to you thus prolonging the process.

If you have the cash then get taxback.com to do it for you.

Good luck!
oh thank you so much guys for all the helpful advice
i was on a WHV last year and was taxed quite a bit
il probably use taxback.com aswell then, saves me all the hassle
tax stuff always does my head in :s

jams.. what is the salary threshold?
Old May 12th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

oh thank you so much guys for all the helpful advice
i was on a WHV last year and was taxed quite a bit
il probably use taxback.com aswell then, saves me all the hassle
tax stuff always does my head in :s

jams.. what is the salary threshold?
Hello!

You know what I'm not 100% sure!

I do know that I was well under it!

Go on taxback.com they have an FAQ and also online operator for you to asking anything you want in regards to Aussie Tax

Good luck!