Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return on self-education expenses.

Tax return on self-education expenses.

Old Jun 9th 2012, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Tax return on self-education expenses.

Hi all,

I've been working since March. Next week I'll have 4 payments on my account. Simultaneously, I'm undertaking a part-time MBA (related to my role) in Sydney and so far I've paid from my pocket around $ 11k in tuition fees and I'm planning to buy a new laptop next week (for studies purposes).

I know I tick all the boxes for claiming my tuition fees and expenses in my tax return and I'm wondering if there is any tax-savvy around who can tell me how much can I expect to be returned and any other comment that may be relevant.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by MAR001; Jun 9th 2012 at 12:48 am.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return on self-education expenses.

I would have to question whether your education fees are tax deductible, didn't you start the course before your job anyway? If your employer is insisting on you taking the MBA then why aren't they paying for it?

But anyway, on the premise that your fees are tax deductable then you would gain to the tune of your marginal tax rate. i.e. if your top band is 37pc then your refund would be fees x 37pc.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Thanks bermudashorts!

The MBA is by terms/units and when I started my job I was doing the term that I paid for and as far as I know that can be claimed (on top on that another units/terms to date).

Taking an MBA was a personal decision and I don't want corporate attachments at the moment (they don't even know in my work) I also got exceptions from previous education in the UK so it will be faster for me to get the grade.

I couldn't apply for a loan/help from the government as I'm not citizen yet.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So if your employer does not even know about it, I can't see how it can be a requirement of your job and thus tax deductable. That would be my reasoning anyway. You already pay domestic tuition fees, so ypu have already had government help.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So if your employer does not even know about it, I can't see how it can be a requirement of your job and thus tax deductable. That would be my reasoning anyway. You already pay domestic tuition fees, so ypu have already had government help.
It may not be a requirement but definitely it helps me doing a better job and hopefully to progress within or out my organisation in the future. By default as an MBA is a managerial masters it does apply for any managerial position. Domestic fees do not apply for top australian MBAs.. Same fees for all and it is a lot!

Happy to pay taxes but also happy to claim back any return that I may be entitled to.

Last edited by MAR001; Jun 9th 2012 at 5:25 am.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked into claiming tax breaks for courses back in 2008 the tax department said for you to be able to claim you HAD to have started your job before the course, or you could claim nothing for the whole course (even if you paid by terms). Good luck, but it looks like you may not be able to claim.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

best thing is to get a tax accountant to advise you.

Finding ours was the best investment ever- and you can claim the cost of the accountant against next years' tax.

Should cost about 2-300 bucks, and will save you more generally.

The rules around claiming for education are not simple...it is linked to whether you are already in the role which would be beneficial.
Eg you cannot claim for training to become an electrician, but once you are an electrician you can claim for 'improvement' courses.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:46 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=1&H1

Best regards.