Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return questions - UK dividends

Tax return questions - UK dividends

Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax return questions - UK dividends

I thought I'd follow the trend and start another tax thread.

UK share dividends come with a 10% tax paid credit. Can this be included as an imputation (franking) credit on the Aussie tax return?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return questions - UK dividends

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I thought I'd follow the trend and start another tax thread.

UK share dividends come with a 10% tax paid credit. Can this be included as an imputation (franking) credit on the Aussie tax return?
If you look at the tax return form, you put your foreign tax paid in the box under 20O (that is section twenty box with the letter O). [As long as your foreign tax is under $1,000. If it's over $1,000 it gets a bit more complicated - too complicated to explain here quickly.]

You need to convert the amount into Aus $$$ using the ATO's exchange rates, which you can look at here: http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/51603.htm
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax return questions - UK dividends

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you look at the tax return form, you put your foreign tax paid in the box under 20O (that is section twenty box with the letter O). [As long as your foreign tax is under $1,000. If it's over $1,000 it gets a bit more complicated - too complicated to explain here quickly.]

You need to convert the amount into Aus $$$ using the ATO's exchange rates, which you can look at here: http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/51603.htm

Thanks muchly. I've sent some karma.