British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tax Return On line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tax-return-line-548492/)

Janet Rutledge Jul 12th 2008 5:01 am

Tax Return On line

Hi to all

Just wondering if it is possible to do your tax return on line if you are a new resident and never done one before? Would prefer to do it online rather than have to pay someone but want to now as it is the first one(been here since August 2007) if it is possible.

Thanks for help.

sa2uk2oz Jul 12th 2008 5:16 am

Re: Tax Return On line

Hi Janet
this is our first year here in SE Qld and we have both just submitted on line.
Even works out what we are due to get back and says should be in our accounts within 2 weeks. Very easy to do.:thumbup:

ex_exile Jul 12th 2008 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge (Post 6562890)
Hi to all

Just wondering if it is possible to do your tax return on line if you are a new resident and never done one before? Would prefer to do it online rather than have to pay someone but want to now as it is the first one(been here since August 2007) if it is possible.

Thanks for help.

Yep, just downlad the tax pack from the ATO website. It may not work if you have XP service pack 3 though.

Wol Jul 12th 2008 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 6562908)
Yep, just downlad the tax pack from the ATO website. It may not work if you have XP service pack 3 though.

Eh? What's the story there, then?

Molko1974 Jul 12th 2008 8:48 am

Hi to all

Thanks for help.

I did ours online but didn't submit the form. Used a tax agent and got more money back, even after paying the agent. May be worth using an agent next time.

Maple Leaf Jul 12th 2008 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Molko1974 (Post 6563139)
I did ours online but didn't submit the form. Used a tax agent and got more money back, even after paying the agent. May be worth using an agent next time.

that happened to me too!

Stitch Jul 12th 2008 1:20 pm

Hi to all

Thanks for help.

Hubby did his last year online with no problems. Fairly straighforward for basic things. I got a tax agent cause I had a few things etc.

Cheers

Ginny

medwaymark Jul 13th 2008 8:37 am

I looked on the ato site the other day with a view to do ours. Says you can do it online if you had a TFN issued before 31 May 2008.

Mark

Janet Rutledge Jul 13th 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for all replies. I think I will use an agent to do mine and my husbands due to some assets in UK etc but have done my daughters online and according to the results she should be getting a full return of what she has paid. So all good:thumbsup:

ex_exile Jul 13th 2008 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 6563084)
Eh? What's the story there, then?

If you have changed the region on your pc (for example from US english to Australian English) SP3 causes an error in the VB script date field. The ATO e-tax package crashes with an unrecognised date (1/1/2009) error.

Wol Jul 13th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 6565900)
If you have changed the region on your pc (for example from US english to Australian English) SP3 causes an error in the VB script date field. The ATO e-tax package crashes with an unrecognised date (1/1/2009) error.

OK. Computers make things much easier, don't they <g>.