Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return deadlines - 2012

Tax return deadlines - 2012

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 1:19 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax return deadlines - 2012

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/cont...t/00333714.htm

ATO reminder regarding the submission of 2012 tax returns.

Remember also that any paper based UK tax returns must be lodged with HMRC before the end of this month; after 31/10/2012 you must submit a 2012 UK tax return electronically.

Best regards.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return deadlines - 2012

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/cont...t/00333714.htm

ATO reminder regarding the submission of 2012 tax returns.

Remember also that any paper based UK tax returns must be lodged with HMRC before the end of this month; after 31/10/2012 you must submit a 2012 UK tax return electronically.

Best regards.
Thanks for the reminder Alan. I still haven't done last years for either country.

Though my income for the UK was about £200 I'm hoping they are going to jump down my throat for that.

What's the deal in Australia for a late tax return?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:27 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

No automatic late filing penalties in Australia - but you can expect to find yourself with less time to lodge a tax return in future years if you are a persistent defaulter.

Penalties and interest costs can also be invoked by the ATO.

The UK now operates a per day late filing penalty, so priority numero uno for you should be your 2011 UK return.

Best regards.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Iv had no supporting letter yet but any idea why my refund would be about $250 less than my claim?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No automatic late filing penalties in Australia - but you can expect to find yourself with less time to lodge a tax return in future years if you are a persistent defaulter.

Penalties and interest costs can also be invoked by the ATO.

The UK now operates a per day late filing penalty, so priority numero uno for you should be your 2011 UK return.

Best regards.
I've never lodge nor been asked to lodge a tax return in the UK. I thought Oz was mandatory and the UK was upon request?

Edit: I tell a lie. A lodged something to claim the UK tax I overpaid for only working half the financial year
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:15 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Iv had no supporting letter yet but any idea why my refund would be about $250 less than my claim?
Maybe you omitted some income from the tax return?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:16 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by Beoz
I've never lodge nor been asked to lodge a tax return in the UK. I thought Oz was mandatory and the UK was upon request?

Edit: I tell a lie. A lodged something to claim the UK tax I overpaid for only working half the financial year
The UK operates a Self Assessment regime - it is incumbent on the taxpayer to notify HMRC of chargeability.

See also: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm#1

Best regards.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The UK operates a Self Assessment regime - it is incumbent on the taxpayer to notify HMRC of chargeability.

See also: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm#1

Best regards.
That's brilliant .... makes me laugh .... When living in the UK I've had bank accounts in other countries, not earning much interest, and I didn't know all this time I was suppose to declare.

I do like this bit. Even more confusing

You've lived or worked abroad or aren't domiciled in the UK
You may need to complete a tax return if you're:

•not resident
•not ordinarily resident
•not domiciled in the UK and claim the 'remittance basis'
•dual resident of the UK and another country

Residency is a complex issue. Follow the link below to find out more about your residency status, the remittance basis and what to do next.

Effectively I give up .... they've got me ... it's all too hard
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:25 am
Migration Agent

Engage a competent accountant => should take the worries away ... hopefully not too many $'s as well ...

Best regards.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Engage a competent accountant => should take the worries away ... hopefully not too many $'s as well ...

Best regards.
Alan - you are absolutely right - digging out all the masses of paperwork is the daunting bit