Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return - this can't be right!!

Tax return - this can't be right!!

Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return - this can't be right!!

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I lodged the online tax return today - for my husband - and was shocked to get to the end and the estimate said a refund of $4250 was due. Is this what I should expect? He claimed $525 for work expenses, he is on a fairly poor/ average wage, only he works and we have 2 children, oh and we've only been here since Jan this year, on a 457.

I was expecting about $500 at the most - have i done something wrong? All the questions were straight forward, so I'm not sure where/ if i went wrong! Any help would be appreciated!

Kareena
Yes, I would say it is correct. Your husband has only worked for half the financial year but would be getting taxed fortnightly as if he had worked the whole year. Take the money and have fun!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aussie tax system is like a government run Christmas club. Most people tend to be over charged on PAYG (as the government doesn't know what deductions are going to be levied). Most of this money is returned in July and is then used to buy stuff on layby. That's why all the toy sales happen in July.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:46 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The Aussie tax system is like a government run Christmas club. Most people tend to be over charged on PAYG (as the government doesn't know what deductions are going to be levied). Most of this money is returned in July and is then used to buy stuff on layby. That's why all the toy sales happen in July.
LOL! This is so true!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markandgill
I was wondering about this...... When we arrived we were told by a friend to claim family assist and when we did this we had to declare our UK pay from June last year until present.... we were also told by the person in family assist that this would need to be declared on our tax return at the end of the year aswell! So I am very confused what to do? Was advised by someone else to get a tax accountant to do this for me.

gill
Family Assist and income tax are completely different.
F.A. does take into account worldwide income before you came here, but income tax doesn't, due to a UK/Aus double tax agreement.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I lodged the online tax return today - for my husband - and was shocked to get to the end and the estimate said a refund of $4250 was due. Is this what I should expect? He claimed $525 for work expenses, he is on a fairly poor/ average wage, only he works and we have 2 children, oh and we've only been here since Jan this year, on a 457.

I was expecting about $500 at the most - have i done something wrong? All the questions were straight forward, so I'm not sure where/ if i went wrong! Any help would be appreciated!

Kareena
It's probably because he's been taxed as if he was working for a full tax year and there is an offset if your spouse doesn't work and you have kids. Enjoy it you probably won't get it next year.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

You have just inspired us to try to do our tax return online, tried to download it but it is not compatible with a MAC computer, has anyone else managed to run it on a MAC?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:36 am
ABCDiamond

I lodged the online tax return today - for my husband - and was shocked to get to the end and the estimate said a refund of $4250 was due.

Kareena
It is a bit higher than average, but feasible...
In 2006-07, 80% of Australia Tax payers received a refund of tax at the end of the year. The average refund was $1,998. The number of tax refunds given was 9.9 million, out of the 11.8 million taxpayers.

The expected average refund for 2008-09 has recently been quoted as $2,351, although about half of all taxpayers expect to get back under $1,000.

Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:20 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by buchanan
You have just inspired us to try to do our tax return online, tried to download it but it is not compatible with a MAC computer, has anyone else managed to run it on a MAC?
Don't bother, the ATO hasn't yet realised that Macs exist
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ridds
Don't bother, the ATO hasn't yet realised that Macs exist
Agreed, tried myself last year but read somewhere the Etax software is only for Windows and won't work on macs. Your choice is to get someone to do it for you (tax accountant), find a PC to use or complete the manual forms yourself
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:41 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

ABC - I'd read that somewhere, possibly on here, and that is what made me think my numbers had to be wrong!

I did wonder why the toy sale was in the middle of July - the money is going towards the toddlers second birthday and both the boys Christmas'!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

I worked on 457 from Aug 08 to Feb 09 then left australia to return home... do I need to do a tax return and can I expect any money back?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Are the kids in school cos there is the Education Tax Refund too which you can claim for.

As you were here for only part of the year maybe thats why you are getting a larger return as his emplyer would be taxing him at the rate of the full year.
I dont think you can claim the education rebate on a 457!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:07 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Nope, we can't!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Are the kids in school cos there is the Education Tax Refund too which you can claim for.
OP said they were here on a 457 visa, which means they don't qualify for Family Tax Benefit - which means they cannot claim the Education Tax Refund.

BUT: The OP may be entitled to the Spouse Tax Offset (depending on how much husband and OP earn).