Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Return - Business Travel Allowance

Tax Return - Business Travel Allowance

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice
Default Tax Return - Business Travel Allowance

G'day.

I have been searching for the last hour but can't find it.

I remember reading on here that there is a daily tax allowance given (both for hotel and meals, etc.) for each overnight stay. If you are re-imbursed for less than this tax allowance then you can claim this back through the tax return.

Please tell me I'm not dreaming.

TIA.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax Return - Business Travel Allowance

http://www.kreston.com.au/reasonable..._for_2010.aspx

I cant find the post now either but it refers to this. I do have a copy of the original post at work somewhere so will try to respond
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Originally Posted by odyssey
http://www.kreston.com.au/reasonable..._for_2010.aspx

I cant find the post now either but it refers to this. I do have a copy of the original post at work somewhere so will try to respond
What a star! Just wanted to make sure the tax agent was aware of this (have heard that they don't always know about it).

Karma sent!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:34 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprite_green
What a star! Just wanted to make sure the tax agent was aware of this (have heard that they don't always know about it).

Karma sent!
it was me who posted it - search for threads started by me - I think it was called "If you travel for work"

Its on the ATO website http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001

search for "ATO Per Diem" on the googlemachine will always find it.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

This is the 2009/10 version of the above link:

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht...3&pn=RDB:::RDB

I'm still confused though. So I'm in Sydney at the moment and my employer gives me a $60 per diem. My accommodation is paid for already. The ruling says the reasonable amount I am entitled to is $106. I probably actually spend about $25-30 on food.

Does this mean I can enter something on my tax return? Or do I only enter something if I spend more than the reasonable allowance?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:48 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

I'm still confused though. So I'm in Sydney at the moment and my employer gives me a $60 per diem. My accommodation is paid for already. The ruling says the reasonable amount I am entitled to is $106. I probably actually spend about $25-30 on food.

Does this mean I can enter something on my tax return? Or do I only enter something if I spend more than the reasonable allowance?
For tax purposes - you claim 106$ - 60$ = 46$ , you receive back your marginal tax (highest rate of tax) on the 46$ (so 23$ if you pay 50% Tax).

You do not need receipts nor to prove that you spent it. Dont muck about doing the hotels etc - just the daily meal/perdiem allowances.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spalen
it was me who posted it - search for threads started by me - I think it was called "If you travel for work"

Its on the ATO website http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001

search for "ATO Per Diem" on the googlemachine will always find it.
Thanks Spalen - really, really appreciate this.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:57 am
ah-beng

And... best of all....

You can go back the last FOUR years !!!! ;-)

You pay about 25$ fee to 'adjust' your previous year tax return and you can claim this back for the last 4 years.... Good luck....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

And... best of all....

You can go back the last FOUR years !!!! ;-)

You pay about 25$ fee to 'adjust' your previous year tax return and you can claim this back for the last 4 years.... Good luck....
Nice one, thanks! I'm fairly certain that although I claimed quite a few per diems last year they weren't listed on my group certificate - does that sound right? I reckon I'd have to trawl through old expense claims.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:17 am
ah-beng

Nice one, thanks! I'm fairly certain that although I claimed quite a few per diems last year they weren't listed on my group certificate - does that sound right? I reckon I'd have to trawl through old expense claims.
I dont have them listed on mine either - I write to my expense dept each year and they send me an excel file of all my expenses - then I do sort/search for Perdiem in there.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

For tax purposes - you claim 106$ - 60$ = 46$ , you receive back your marginal tax (highest rate of tax) on the 46$ (so 23$ if you pay 50% Tax).

You do not need receipts nor to prove that you spent it. Dont muck about doing the hotels etc - just the daily meal/perdiem allowances.
Why do you reckon its not worth looking at hotels? Too much hassle, or is there some contention with the ATO there?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:55 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by sprite_green
Why do you reckon its not worth looking at hotels? Too much hassle, or is there some contention with the ATO there?
I was advised that on the hotels you have to show the amount you paid etc and show that you were out of pocket - since your employer is likely to pay it all its slightly dodgy ground.

I dont know - thats just the way the guys who do it here at work do it.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:12 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

I have to say if it all works as is being described it's a massive rort!

Take next month - I'll be staying in a serviced apartment so if I choose the cost to feed myself need not be any more than if I was at home. But still i'll get handed about $1300 tax free for the trouble.

THEN I'll claim over $1000 as a tax deduction on top anyway! Madness.

Is there an annual limit to all this - I note my company policy is to reduce the per diem to $30 after 60 days - not clear if that is per assignment or per year though.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:33 pm
ah-beng

I have to say if it all works as is being described it's a massive rort!

Take next month - I'll be staying in a serviced apartment so if I choose the cost to feed myself need not be any more than if I was at home. But still i'll get handed about $1300 tax free for the trouble.

THEN I'll claim over $1000 as a tax deduction on top anyway! Madness.

Is there an annual limit to all this - I note my company policy is to reduce the per diem to $30 after 60 days - not clear if that is per assignment or per year though.
You are absolutely correct. Its like a bonus. I couldnt believe the first time someone told me about it. it was >10K$ back for me.

Its not a rort ;-) its what the govt employees get and its allowable tax claim.

I did 100+ nights away last year -it adds up. There is no annual limit. You need to have records - but that can be a diary. Dont screw around wiht it I know people who have been audited - so its important that you actually did travel.

Just look on it as all part of the balancing of taxation. If your accountant wont recognise it - switch accountants - H+R block the cheapo crappy ones do it for me and have done for past 4 yrs.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that you only spend $25-30 on food? If so, you can't claim anything. Think back, didn't you really spend $106/night on food? ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.