Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Return(again!!!)

Tax Return(again!!!)

Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Return(again!!!)

Another stupid question......in the UK you get your P60 at the end of the year, and it has all your tax and salary info for the year on it. Here the form I have got from work only has my income from that employer. So....am I right in thinking that each employer sends you a separate bit of paper? I worked for a temping agency before I got this job, so will they send me details of what I earned there? And do they send it automatically or do I have to ring and ask for it?

I know they may seem daft questions, but I'm hoping the answers might be a help to someone else as well as me! I can't be the only idiot who is struggling with this tax return rubbish, surely!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 8th 2004 at 1:29 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yeah the company will just automatically send it to you i would of thought. I left my employer back in march and i got it through yesterday saying how much i earned. So perhaps if the company was a big firm it may take them a bit longer to get it out to you. Paul left his last August and his came monday.
Joanne
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax Return(again!!!)

Originally posted by Pollyana
Another stupid question......in the UK you get your P60 at the end of the year, and it has all your tax and salary info for the year on it. Here the form I have got from work only has my income from that employer. So....am I right in thinking that each employer sends you a separate bit of paper? I worked for a temping agency before I got this job, so will they send me details of what I earned there? And do they send it automatically or do I have to ring and ask for it?

I know they may seem daft questions, but I'm hoping the answers might be a help to someone else as well as me! I can't be the only idiot who is struggling with this tax return rubbish, surely!
Yes Polly you should get a group certificate from each employer you had during the year.
If youve not got one by middle of next week start calling them & asking why.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
Yes Polly you should get a group certificate from each employer you had during the year.
If youve not got one by middle of next week start calling them & asking why.
try asking them about the knicker elastic whilst your at it
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Coo, that was quick! Thanks guys; they are a big agency, and the pay stuff came up from Sydney, so I guess I should give them a couple of daysto find a pigeon to fly it up here!
When I get the stuff I shall try and file the thing online cos I've got no UK assets or anything so i'm hoping it'll be straightforward. Watch this space for me paniking when I get stuck
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Originally posted by hevs
try asking them about the knicker elastic whilst your at it

Got a text from my mum tonight - sounds like she has bought half of the M&S store in Bath and it is all being posted to me! Wonder of theres space on the form to claim a tax deduction on the postage....
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Got a text from my mum tonight - sounds like she has bought half of the M&S store in Bath and it is all being posted to me! Wonder of theres space on the form to claim a tax deduction on the postage....
ok, a new game. You tell us the potage amount, we'll guess the amount of pants in that parcel :scared:
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

OK, I'll get her to let me know how much its costing, then I'll post a poll......this is getting really sad, but it makes a change from lettuce!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

OK, I'll get her to let me know how much its costing, then I'll post a poll......this is getting really sad, but it makes a change from lettuce!
do we get a prize
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:47 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by hevs
do we get a prize
We can all guess what you want!!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:48 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by NedKelly63
We can all guess what you want!!
:scared: ok i have to ask.....WHAT????
Old Jul 8th 2004, 4:09 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jopaulss
Yeah the company will just automatically send it to you i would of thought.
So if you move house then you've got to send change-of-address details to your former employer(s) over the past year? Or will they get the new address from the tax office?
Old Jul 8th 2004, 4:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
So if you move house then you've got to send change-of-address details to your former employer(s) over the past year? Or will they get the new address from the tax office?

Safer to let Ex companies know. Sooner you get that group certificate & get your tax done & hopefully get a refund.
Plus I think you only have until October or November to get it done then you can be fined after that.