Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax resident UK...work part year Australia

Tax resident UK...work part year Australia

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax resident UK...work part year Australia

How would that work?....Any experiences?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax resident UK...work part year Australia

It would depend on if the ATO regarded you as resident in Oz for tax purposes. If not and you can establish you are resident in the UK then you would not pay tax. But you would pay UK tax unless you were only back in the UK for a maximum of 90 days. But, if you were in Oz for so long as to be tax exempt in the UK the ATO would probably be able to establish you are resident in Oz.

I would strongly advise getting a expert to review it - i know some guys that have got into serious problems by getting it wrong.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax resident UK...work part year Australia

Originally Posted by verystormy
It would depend on if the ATO regarded you as resident in Oz for tax purposes. If not and you can establish you are resident in the UK then you would not pay tax. But you would pay UK tax unless you were only back in the UK for a maximum of 90 days. But, if you were in Oz for so long as to be tax exempt in the UK the ATO would probably be able to establish you are resident in Oz.

I would strongly advise getting a expert to review it - i know some guys that have got into serious problems by getting it wrong.
Work would really only be an optional extra. The plan would be to use the UK as a base, instead of here, and live part time in each country.

The work I do is only for four months or so per year and I could arrange to be here for that time. That would mean I would be a UK tax resident as I would be there for over half the year and I already have a UK income.

Just an idea at the moment but I am currently doing a similar thing using here as a base but not working in the UK.

If I think it would work I would obviously take expert advise.