British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tax refund from UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tax-refund-uk-602945/)

kar-kier Apr 11th 2009 7:03 am

Tax refund from UK?

Does anyone know roughly how long it's likely to be before i see any money?

I sent it off a couple of weeks ago and have heard nothing back yet, which isn't surprising since it takes a week to get there and a week to get a reply! But just wondered are we looking at weeks, or months?

Kareena

hereshoping Apr 11th 2009 7:05 am

Re: Tax refund from UK?

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7470690)

I sent it off a couple of weeks ago and have heard nothing back yet, which isn't surprising since it takes a week to get there and a week to get a reply! But just wondered are we looking at weeks, or months?

Kareena

Mine took about a month and a half- they didn't notify me, just put the money in my account in the UK.

My husband sent his p85 off in the same envelope as mine, but they still haven't managed to process his 6 months on due a litany of errors and losses on their part.

So who knows?

Stu Ward Apr 11th 2009 7:25 am

Mine took Nearly 8 months.
Same problem as above, lost forms, sent to the wrong office etc etc

My wifes took about 8 weeks

Stu

Wendy66 Apr 11th 2009 7:53 am

Kareena

Recently got mine, took just over a month they sent me notification and then it was paid in the account

Burkins Apr 11th 2009 12:55 pm

I got mine after about 6 weeks. My husband is still waiting, tax office say that they put it in our account but not received by us, 2 phone calls and 2 letters later we are still trying to sort.

leave_n_on_a_Jet Apr 11th 2009 1:19 pm

Kareena

filed mine on the tax mans website, got the refund about 2-3 days later straight into my uk bank account.

James

kar-kier Apr 11th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet (Post 7471225)
filed mine on the tax mans website, got the refund about 2-3 days later straight into my uk bank account.

James

How did you do it on the internet? You need to send off your P45!

NikiL Apr 11th 2009 1:49 pm

It depends on your bank as to how long it takes. They send it by cheque to the bank and Nationwide in particular take forever to pay it in - we ended up having the original cheque cancelled as Nationwide took 4 weeks to pay it in.

Mine took about 8 weeks to be cleared funds, OH's would have taken about 9 weeks.

Fly Away Apr 11th 2009 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet (Post 7471225)

James

How?? I've searched and searched for a way to do this.... :blink:

NikiL Apr 11th 2009 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Away (Post 7471282)
How?? I've searched and searched for a way to do this.... :blink:

I'll send you the link tomorrow Nic - its form P85 from the IRS website...need to go to bed now.......:o

Fly Away Apr 11th 2009 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by NikiL (Post 7471287)
I'll send you the link tomorrow Nic - its form P85 from the IRS website...need to go to bed now.......:o

Thanks hun - I've got the form, but there is no way to lodge it online. It has to be posted. :blink:

leave_n_on_a_Jet Apr 12th 2009 1:11 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7471236)
How did you do it on the internet? You need to send off your P45!

Self employed, i own a business in the uk so just done my SA online.

James

Fly Away Apr 12th 2009 1:13 am

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet (Post 7472292)
Self employed, i own a business in the uk so just done my SA online.

James

Sorry James, you confused me, I was talking about form 85 - the one where you tell the tax office you have left the country. It's total madness, you can't lodge it online.... it should be the very first thing they organised online as otherwise it will have to be posted from overseas.... :unsure:

TMRE Apr 12th 2009 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Fly Away (Post 7472297)
Sorry James, you confused me, I was talking about form 85 - the one where you tell the tax office you have left the country. It's total madness, you can't lodge it online.... it should be the very first thing they organised online as otherwise it will have to be posted from overseas.... :unsure:

Sent ours a week before we left with the "date you left or intend to leave the UK" field filled in.

Pollyana Apr 12th 2009 6:55 am

Originally Posted by TMRE (Post 7472582)
Sent ours a week before we left with the "date you left or intend to leave the UK" field filled in.

Thats all I did - sent it off as soon as I had the P45, which was a couple of weeks before I left.