Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax rebate and national insurance-how and when?

tax rebate and national insurance-how and when?

Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax rebate and national insurance-how and when?

hi ,can anyone tell me when youre supposed to apply for rebates and how and also if you can claim national insurance back at all, or is this included in the rebate? and how long does it take to settle?
all advice welcome!
cheers

Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tax rebate and national insurance-how and when?

You need to submit a P85 along with your P45 to Inland Revenue and they will calculate how much is due back to you. The P85 asks when you leave the country and you also need a clean past (ie, you're not in arrears from 2002/2003 or whenever)

P85

They told me the amount should be calculated within 14 days.

Originally Posted by jimtrish
hi ,can anyone tell me when youre supposed to apply for rebates and how and also if you can claim national insurance back at all, or is this included in the rebate? and how long does it take to settle?
all advice welcome!
cheers

Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordys
You need to submit a P85 along with your P45 to Inland Revenue and they will calculate how much is due back to you. The P85 asks when you leave the country and you also need a clean past (ie, you're not in arrears from 2002/2003 or whenever)

P85

They told me the amount should be calculated within 14 days.
cheers gordy,

is this only for self-employed persons?
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point

when I called Inland revenue, they didn't ask if I was self employed (I'm not), but patched me straight through to another dept who passed the P85 info onto me. In a nutshell, the form is what's required to tell them your leaving the country so they need to assess your final tax status.
Give them a call if you're still unsure.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:10 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gordys
when I called Inland revenue, they didn't ask if I was self employed (I'm not), but patched me straight through to another dept who passed the P85 info onto me. In a nutshell, the form is what's required to tell them your leaving the country so they need to assess your final tax status.
Give them a call if you're still unsure.
I was employed and sent off the P85. I didn't get a rebate as I left just after the start of the financial year; however, I can get some money back next year through a tax return.

On National Insurance: I don't think you get a rebate. However bear in mind that this contributes to your pension. Depending on how long you have been paying NI you may want to make some extra payments. For example, I think you have to have paid 12 years NI (check this) before you get any pension from the UK. If you are on 11 years you may want to pay 1 year voluntary to get you up to the minimum requirement. This will mean the difference between getting a 1/4 pension or getting nothing at all (i.e. for a few hundred pounds you can make sure your 11 years of payments are not wasted). You can get a pension check form, from the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) website.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:02 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I was employed and sent off the P85. I didn't get a rebate as I left just after the start of the financial year; however, I can get some money back next year through a tax return.

On National Insurance: I don't think you get a rebate. However bear in mind that this contributes to your pension. Depending on how long you have been paying NI you may want to make some extra payments. For example, I think you have to have paid 12 years NI (check this) before you get any pension from the UK. If you are on 11 years you may want to pay 1 year voluntary to get you up to the minimum requirement. This will mean the difference between getting a 1/4 pension or getting nothing at all (i.e. for a few hundred pounds you can make sure your 11 years of payments are not wasted). You can get a pension check form, from the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) website.

Cheers
Alistair
I spoke to the nat ins people the other day, you need to get a form sent to you for a pension forecast, this will tell you if you have paid enough to get any pension at all, (I was told you have to have paid 11 yrs to get 25% of the pension when the time comes, I am a little short so will pay for another year and then I will be entiteld to something thats if there is anything to get by the time I get to pension age) the ammount you have to pay is £2.05 per week if you want to keep up payments. If you have paid more than 11 yrs there are other cut off ammounts that will give you a higher percentage of the full pension, I dont know what they are though

As for tax you cannot do anything until you have you p45, once you have that you can claim you tax back

Cheers
JD

As stated thee is no such thing as a refund from the nat ins.